Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I received my first order today, and took it in to my local bank. When I arrived, they mentioned how they had multiple people asking for dollar coins, and that this was great help. Glad to see that I am actually doing what the mint asks about recirculating the coins..
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
While this may be the case in your particular experience, I don't think it's true across the board. I had a brand new citi card and charged a couple Starbucks orders on it. Then I placed a first time mint order and the charge was declined by the card company, per the mint. The next day I placed 8 more orders on the card. None have since been declined. ymmv.
Agreed, there are multiple reasons why a card may be declined. I myself have entered the wrong cc info and had the cc company deny the charge. What I'm am specifically referring to is what I've seen happen (to me and to others I am familiar with) when you violate the 10 day rule on the same CC number. In this case it appears that the mint never authorizes the card at all.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
That's why we have discussed a while back a good relationship with the bank/branch is the key. Well perhaps it's easier for me to be in a big city, too.
Actually, I found that living in the burbs to be a huge plus. They often open new banks on the outskirts of town that get little to no business each day for the first year or two until the area is fully developed around them. I found a credit union that only gets about one to two customers every few hours. I would highly suggest looking for these types of branches... they enjoy the frequent visits. I think they also enjoy telling other customers about this crazy guy who brings in lots of coins
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by buschoi
That's why we have discussed a while back a good relationship with the bank/branch is the key. Well perhaps it's easier for me to be in a big city, too.
Got that, but they insist on them being broken down. They're a slow mover here so deposits often end up going back to the fed.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:58 pm

I agree with earlier posters - cultivating a good relationship with your banker is absolutely key not only to this particular issue, but to having a good banking experience in general. We've moved all of our accounts to the neighborhood Chase branch and are absolutely delighted with the personalized service we get every time we go in. They are more than happy to get the dollar coins from us at $1000 a pop because they say they have customer requests and can't get them themselves.

If anyone's interested, the proposal I posted some time back about using a miles-branded *debit* card to purchase from the Direct Ship program has been working like a charm. At an interest rate of 0.02% I'm losing essentially no interest for every 1K miles gained. I always receive a heads-up from UPS that the shipment is on its way and, since my partner is retired, we can always make sure he's at home to sign for it and take it straight on to the bank.

We also enjoy having plenty of the coins for our own use. We do use them liberally.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
not sure if this has been asked before, but will all presidential coins one day be on the direct ship program? is it just slower to be added on the program or something?

i realize there's only the first few presidents available as direct ship, whereas they have released a lot more for collection purposes (for additional cost per roll)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bylin2000
not sure if this has been asked before, but will all presidential coins one day be on the direct ship program? is it just slower to be added on the program or something?
I suspect that your crystal ball is just as good as anyone's on FT.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just want to confirm. With the $1000 / 10 day limit. I assume I can place four orders of $250 over the ten days? I only ordered $250 for my first "go-round", but would like to order another $750..
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just want to confirm. With the $1000 / 10 day limit. I assume I can place four orders of $250 over the ten days? I only ordered $250 for my first "go-round", but would like to order another $750..
Yes, this is doable
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:36 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Disregard

Last edited by Watchful; Nov 5, 2010 at 6:20 am Reason: received answer to my question - thanks
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
BofA will begin to charge FEES to take your coins!

Ok maybe this has happened to other people and at other banks, but today when I waltzed in to my local BofA today with $3k in coinage where the tellers know me and have a handle on why I do this, I was told that going forward, this branch will have to put your name on the ticket associated with coins being sent out to the Fed. This will generate a fee I must pay.

In fact, the branch manager who was acting teller for the day told me, we had to do this for your $5k deposit yesterday too. Ones from the days prior will not be assessed any fee as far as she could tell.

She went on to say she has no idea yet what this fee will be or how they will assess it, but it will come out of my checking acct.

I hope it's NOT the same caliber as say, a cash advance fee on $8,000!

This puts a damper on the whole shootin match to be honest.

All things have a cost and until now, mine had been similar to all of yours:

PO box fees or the inconvenience of having to be at home when UPS arrives
lifting and stacking and moving boxes from A-B
being sure everything was there in your order
tracking a spreadsheet
waiting on things and repeating things and managing your money.

Now, the pains I am hearing from people who get charged cash advance fees or have other blockers in their worlds plus this added new fee thing from BofA are making me rethink the whole game.

Another BofA I frequent told me they may have to start charging as well.

I will report any fees or findings once I have the info.

MM
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Banks can't charge fees "of some amount" at "some point" ... there is required disclosure and communication. Push back until they can give you a document stating the fees and terms. I'm not a BofA fan anyway, but you might want to be looking for a different bank as well.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Banks can't charge fees "of some amount" at "some point" ... there is required disclosure and communication. Push back until they can give you a document stating the fees and terms. I'm not a BofA fan anyway, but you might want to be looking for a different bank as well.
I thought of that but with whom do I 'push back' and how? If I start calling the bank's higher ups, I raise red flags at some level. If I push with the branch itself they can only know or tell me so much.

As for my bank choice, yeah, I know what you mean, but it is convenient to where I am and where I go. Other banks--even ones across the street are mostly local and small offices that probably have even less ability to take in the kind of coin money I'd be bringing them. It comes down to them eventually figuring I'm up to something and so they have to charge me for it.

one must basically just get lucky. I was for a while.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
+100

Looking for a different bank sounds like a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.