Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
how about 50% discount on face value with no order limits..that sounds good to me lol
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by jlgrandam
You really think it's easy for even the government to kill it's own stupid programs? This deal has been going on since summer of 2008 and will continue for the foreseeable future.
Well, I suppose you're correct.

Heh,heh. Stupid government.

You know what would be killer cool, is if we could convince the government to sell us ANY amount of US savings bonds and be able to pay for them using a credit card and have THAT program continue into the future.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
You know what would be killer cool, is if we could convince the government to sell us ANY amount of US savings bonds and be able to pay for them using a credit card and have THAT program continue into the future.
Ah, those were the days. $120,000 of I-bonds on a 3% cash back card (Remember those? Mine was Farm Bureau Bank.)

But alas, those days are gone.

I still have the savings bonds, though. 3%-3.6% real return is way to good to ever sell, making this a lousy churn.

bd
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by cordelli
The solution is to just stop making them. For the most part, as soon as anybody gets them, their first thought is how do I get rid of them? Banks don't want them. Most merchants don't want them. Most consumers have no interest in them. Just stop making them, as every one the mint makes they will have to find storage for as nobody wants them.
I'd say the real solution is to stop making dollar bills. I have lived through this in the UK. Before, nobody could imagine how you could live life without the trusty, crumpled and crinkled pound note. No pound notes???? You have to be kidding me right??? And sure enough they bring in the pound coin, it's a decent size, easy to handle, doesn't look terrible, and apart from the obvious bit of historic whining and old people in shops fiddling to reach the pound coin stuck in the bottom of purse... it went fine. And of course by now there is a whole generation who do not know there was ever such a note smaller than a "Fiver". It really can be done, really isn't that hard, and would really fix this somewhat farcical situation.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:47 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
These things will never catch on as long as the design remains as it is. I can always tell a Loonie or a Euro apart from all the coins, not so much with these, especially after they a little life on them.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Tomphot
These things will never catch on as long as the design remains as it is. I can always tell a Loonie or a Euro apart from all the coins, not so much with these, especially after they a little life on them.
I agree. I do think design needs work. It's too similar to a quarter. That said we all seem to get by fine over here that all bills look the same (in other countries they tend to be differentiated by size and/or color)

But I will assure you that in the UK when they first brought in the pound coin, if I had one of them for everyone who said "These things will never cath on" I would be one rich person
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:03 am

If the govt wants to dump the paper note in favor of a coin because the value of a dollar isn't high enough to justify the costs of production of the paper, why not just work on increasing the value of the dollar. That seems like a more sustainable course of action.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:20 am

I find it absolutely unbelievable that the US mint could make a huge mistake and produce a dollar coin that can be mistaken for a quarter. NOT ONCE ..BUT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Centurion
I find it absolutely unbelievable that the US mint could make a huge mistake and produce a dollar coin that can be mistaken for a quarter. NOT ONCE ..BUT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
How do people manage to mistaken one for the other? They have different weight, thickeness, diameter, color, edge, and design.

The differences are equal to, if not greater than, those between a dime and a penny yet people figure that one out every day
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
How do people manage to mistaken one for the other? They have different weight, thickeness, diameter, color, edge, and design.

The differences are equal to, if not greater than, those between a dime and a penny yet people figure that one out every day
It is because people are not accustom to the dollar coin and immediately think of the highest denomination (in their mind). The dollar coin is larger in size, heavier than quarter, and after it is "used", becomes in dull yellow color - and I agree with you it cannot be confused with quarter. The color and weight alone should make it obvious it is not a quarter. However most people dont even know circulating dollar coin exists!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:40 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ccb056
the value of a dollar isn't high enough to justify the costs of production of the paper.
Source?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Happy
It is because people are not accustom to the dollar coin and immediately think of the highest denomination (in their mind). The dollar coin is larger in size, heavier than quarter, and after it is "used", becomes in dull yellow color - and I agree with you it cannot be confused with quarter. The color and weight alone should make it obvious it is not a quarter. However most people dont even know circulating dollar coin exists!
this is true. paying for pizza last night with dollar coins, the cashier just gushed about how cool the coins looked and that she had never seen them before. one of the reasons i do like using them, educating the masses. LOL!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:52 am

quarter

Originally Posted by Happy
not to mention the washington quarter looks a lot like the presidential dollars...on the face. It starts out silver just like a quarter. People who have never handled a dollar coin will assume it's a quarter.
The mint should send one to every person in the country so they will know the difference, then discontinue the paper dollar.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: Airtran A+ Elite, SPG Preferred Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold, AGR
Originally Posted by Stoughton

It's more the ignorance that people don't know they even exist to know to look for a dollar coin. People know dimes and pennies, they've been taught them since they were what 3? I think more education for the general public is the key.

Also as i'm sure has been said in this thread a thousand times, the only way to really get the coins circulating is by removing the paper dollar. Of course i went to philly last weekend, and was going to use some coins to pay for parking at the meters... they didnt even take them! I had to run into starbucks across the street to buy a drink so the cashier would give me some bills back in change to use. Things like that make it so people won't even bother with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.