Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smidget
Thanks for the response. If my CC address is my billing address but does not equal the shipping address, that's a red flag? What about the people who send to PO Boxes?
No, I use a PO box and it works just fine
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:36 am
Suspended

From the FAQ:
"All orders ≥ $500 are shipped UPS next day air with the shipping charges waived." so I'm assuming anything but that might be shipped FedEx 2-3 day.
This isn't 100% accurate. Some orders over $500 come USPS
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714
You are making too much out of this. It is not uncommon for the weight to be wrong. Your package most likely took the same route. A scan is missing, no big deal.
Originally Posted by pawtim
Strange. I've received a lot of packages from the Mint, and the weight has never been wrong.

And, I've never been "shortchanged" either, knock on wood.
Never have wrong weight until the first time we were "shortchanged" since the first order in Oct 2008. Therefore I dont agree with the "not uncommon" statement because as pawtim, we've received a lot of packages in 2 years period and the weight has never been wrong until the first shortshipment. That is why I am rather dismayed by the 2nd wrong weight happened in less than 3 months. I am very sure that if it has been missing 1 box type short weight, the shipment would arrive with 1 box short as it would not be caught. But a weight as if it is empty or just with fluffy paper inside? It has much higher probability to catch someone's attention and corrective action taken.

I just sincerely hope no shortshipment ever occur again!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Saga Continues - the Mint authorized our card AGAIN.

It looks like someone at the Mint indeed has touched the order of the "empty box" - the card used to order this shipment was authorized again I noticed. The card was used to order the coins on Aug 30 and the billing for the $1000 shipped in the 1.10 lb has not posted yet. However, the card just had $1000 more deduction in its available credit that has not been there a day ago.

It looks as if the empty box was refilled with coins but then the Mint system would then generate another billing!

It remains to be seen whether the Mint would bill TWICE with this order. Given it is Citicard, the authorization would remain on the card for 30 days even no billing to match. This is very annoying, not to mention the possibility of duplicate billing by the Mint...

Call me pessimistic. I have the feeling this is going to be a mess to sort out with the Mint. I hope the Mint has good record of order number with each of its billing.

UPDATE:

Citi confirmed the Mint authorized the card a second time in the middle of the night of 09/08 at 3:09AM.

Mint CSR said that at shipment time the billing dept would do a "soft" authorization to make sure everything remained in order and when everything checked out it would then send the billing to the card company - the billing should match with previous authorization as we all know how the process works. She does not understand why the "Soft" authorization does not reverse itself. She notated the order and advised us to fax the CC statement print out with the double billings if it occurs in coming days. She said to still fax in the CC online print out even there is only 1 billing but the credit line remaining being reduced by an extra $1000 because the Mint has the ability to reverse the extra authorization according to her. This is to avoid future issue.

Meanwhile the CSR agreed that it is better NOT to use the same card to order until this matter is resolve. Since there is no any other charges on the card currently other than the $2000 line reduction caused by the Mint authorization associated to one single order, it would make it simpler for the Mint to resolve it by not adding any new orders to it.

The funniest part of conversation is, when I mentioned the very STRANGE way the Mint processed credit on our previous short shipment (it treated the missing shipment as a Return, then processed a refund on the fictitious "Return", re-order the "returned" item on the same order), she said "It is indeed very weird but it is the only way the accounting system can process a refund. You got to remember whom you are dealing with - we dont make things easy..." Both she and I got a good laugh on it.

The reason I do updates on this saga is hopefully if anyone is unlucky in the future to come across any similar issue, he/she can find some helpful information by searching this long-lived thread. I knew I found some posts way back on how to deal with the short shipment and was able to get some helps from the posters. We hope nobody would need to deal with that in future, but if the needs arise, the above info may prove to be helpful.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:39 pm

Probably not the most kosher question, but here goes nothing:

Since the limit is $1,000 every 10 days for each household...

Can I send $1,000 to my house, $1,000 my parents' house up the road, and open a PO box as well for another $1,000 every 10 days? Just for example...

Last edited by COAIR005; Sep 10, 2010 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not again - another shipment has only 1/2 of the correct weight!

One order shipped today has only 8.90lb per UPS website. It is again an order in hubby's card / name. What a bummer - he already has the short shipment in June, the "empty box saga" 3 days ago and now another box has only 8.90 lb instead of 19.xx lb.

I have a hunch this would be a true short shipment like the 14.xx lb box in June - 2 small boxes might be missing this time ... We will see if this would be one of the "not uncommon" cases on inaccurate weight as some other posters proclaim. I hope it is the case. Otherwise that would mean the 3rd incident with the Mint in less than 3 months.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It looks like someone at the Mint indeed has touched the order of the "empty box" - the card used to order this shipment was authorized again I noticed. The card was used to order the coins on Aug 30 and the billing for the $1000 shipped in the 1.10 lb has not posted yet. However, the card just had $1000 more deduction in its available credit that has not been there a day ago.
FWIW, I was authorized a second time for the same shipment yesterday. I didn't do anything, as I figured it would just fall off after a while. No problems on the weight though.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rearview
FWIW, I was authorized a second time for the same shipment yesterday. I didn't do anything, as I figured it would just fall off after a while. No problems on the weight though.
With Chase or FIA cards the unbilled authorization would fall off after 5 to 7 days. Citi's would stay there for 30 days - thereby taking away $1000 purchase power on the card and unlike billed amount which can be paid off anytime thus release the amount back to available credit - the amount held up by authorization can only be released by the merchant.

We have 3 orders all arrived on the same morning, 2 with normal weight 1 with the 1.10 lb weight. Only the 1.10 lb weight order has the additional authorization. The packages also went different path - the 2 normal boxes originated from Indianapolis as they almost always did, then they went from Indianapolis to Louisville to final destination city while the 1.10 lb box originated from Louisville almost 12 hours after the initial billing information.

2 more boxes will come tomorrow morning with 1 box has only 1/2 the normal weight at 8.90lb. We will see what transpires tomorrow morning but the Mint is informed about that and order file duly notated by the CSR who has agreed on the weight is abnormal. She proceeded to tell us "there is nothing we can do now but if the shipment is short you will file the CNR by ...." I told her we knew the procedure because we had to go through it less than 3 months ago.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 9, 2010 at 6:10 pm
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by COAIR005
It's $1,000 PER Credit Card per 10 days...So if you have 10 CCs it's roughly $30,000/month or 30,000 miles a month (depending on the mint's turn time).
That hasn't been my experience (lately) -- believe me I tried in numerous ways.

1) Used a different credit card within 10 days of purchase on another -- FAIL
2) Wife ordered on her own card within 10 days of my order on my own card -- FAIL
3) Wife ordered on her own card to a slightly different address within 10 days of my order on my own card -- FAIL.

Only success:
4) Can consistently place an order 9 days from previous order, and order goes from 'on hold' to in process the next day or later without cancellation.

Of course over the last 2 years of me participating in this, my experience has been that everything about this deal is always in flux, and thus any information might not even be reliable or relevant even the day after it's posted.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by COAIR005
It's $1,000 PER Credit Card per 10 days...So if you have 10 CCs it's roughly $30,000/month or 30,000 miles a month (depending on the mint's turn time).
Per billing address and name
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Happy

It looks as if the empty box was refilled with coins but then the Mint system would then generate another billing!

It remains to be seen whether the Mint would bill TWICE with this order. Given it is Citicard, the authorization would remain on the card for 30 days even no billing to match. This is very annoying, not to mention the possibility of duplicate billing by the Mint...

Call me pessimistic. I have the feeling this is going to be a mess to sort out with the Mint. I hope the Mint has good record of order number with each of its billing.

UPDATE:

Citi confirmed the Mint authorized the card a second time in the middle of the night of 09/08 at 3:09AM.

Mint CSR said that at shipment time the billing dept would do a "soft" authorization to make sure everything remained in order and when everything checked out it would then send the billing to the card company - the billing should match with previous authorization as we all know how the process works. She does not understand why the "Soft" authorization does not reverse itself. She notated the order and advised us to fax the CC statement print out with the double billings if it occurs in coming days. She said to still fax in the CC online print out even there is only 1 billing but the credit line remaining being reduced by an extra $1000 because the Mint has the ability to reverse the extra authorization according to her. This is to avoid future issue.

Meanwhile the CSR agreed that it is better NOT to use the same card to order until this matter is resolve. Since there is no any other charges on the card currently other than the $2000 line reduction caused by the Mint authorization associated to one single order, it would make it simpler for the Mint to resolve it by not adding any new orders to it.

The funniest part of conversation is, when I mentioned the very STRANGE way the Mint processed credit on our previous short shipment (it treated the missing shipment as a Return, then processed a refund on the fictitious "Return", re-order the "returned" item on the same order), she said "It is indeed very weird but it is the only way the accounting system can process a refund. You got to remember whom you are dealing with - we dont make things easy..." Both she and I got a good laugh on it.

The reason I do updates on this saga is hopefully if anyone is unlucky in the future to come across any similar issue, he/she can find some helpful information by searching this long-lived thread. I knew I found some posts way back on how to deal with the short shipment and was able to get some helps from the posters. We hope nobody would need to deal with that in future, but if the needs arise, the above info may prove to be helpful.
Did my usual 1k order last Tuesday. Had an authorization for 1k as usual and the status went to "in process". Had another 1k authorization last friday without a new order and ended up getting 2k today.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Per billing address and name
This is not true. Please do not post information unless you know what you are talking about.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
This is not true. Please do not post information unless you know what you are talking about.
Ok Mom
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:11 pm

Sorry that did come off rude.

Many members have had success receiving several orders at the same address, but it seems that the general theme of this thread is not to share methods that allow this. Instead we must have a general discussion on who is still receiving coins and how to leave $4 tips in coins
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
+1, I absolutely agree!

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.