FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/833911-buy-presidential-dollar-coins-cc-face-value-free-shipping.html)

rxralph Apr 7, 2010 8:11 pm

A different question

Originally Posted by JB5150 (Post 13730089)
Are you sure? I am seeing 4/14 and 4/22. (Although I did get some Washingtons this week that weren't scheduled to be available until 4/16, so who knows...)

Take the 4/14 back ordered date. If I were to order coins on 4/13 would I be part of the 4/14 distribution?

ralph

pawtim Apr 7, 2010 8:20 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The dates do tend to move around, even after an order is placed.

I'm not at my computer now, but I checked the coins before I logged in, and there were no backorder notices. (I always remove all cookies.)

I don't know what it says at this moment.

96MustangGT Apr 8, 2010 5:37 am

Ordered Jeffersons and Jacksons on Tuesday of this week. Order showed B/O until 4/22. This morning, the order shows In Stock and Reserved! That happened last time I ordered too. Can't trust the B/O dates. I expect to have these by Monday/Tuesday of next week. :)

rajuabju Apr 9, 2010 10:29 am

I feel like Uncle Scrooge from Duck Tales... all I need right now is a big ... vault to swim in :)

mrx900 Apr 9, 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 13740378)
I feel like Uncle Scrooge from Duck Tales... all I need right now is a big ... vault to swim in :)

hehehe awesome!..until the Beagle Boyz or Glomgold gets to it first!

Astrophsx Apr 9, 2010 10:44 am

I know there are a few members on here that are more knowledgeable on this topic than I am. I've seen posts that talk about how their bank was trying to charge them a fee to accept coins. Sometimes this is so they can pay for the truck to come haul the coins off to the reserve. I've seen some members reply that they can't spring new fees on you and such.

I am wondering about if a bank tells you that they are going to bill you a fee in order to sell back the currency to the reserve. That they have to pay a fee for the reserve to accept the money. That they cannot tell you what the fee is in advance and that they will just "apply" it to your account once they've been charged by the reserve.

I'm no MrPickles and I'm also not an expert on the inner-workings of a bank or know what legal rights I have. But I received a call today letting me know that if I bring anymore in that they will be forwarding on a charge that they receive from the reserve. I asked if they could mail me the actual fee, and they said they could not, that they would just apply the charge to my account when they receive it.

I found it to be very strange that they just now are springing this on me. I always call ahead and make sure they aren't busy when making a deposit and ask the bank manager if it's ok to come in at that time. Have had a very good relationship with the credit union. I'm not really sure if it's worth my time to fight over it, but I was just wondering if they are allowed to do this. If you have any thoughts let me know, I'd appreciate it!

rajuabju Apr 9, 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 13740445)
I know there are a few members on here that are more knowledgeable on this topic than I am. I've seen posts that talk about how their bank was trying to charge them a fee to accept coins. Sometimes this is so they can pay for the truck to come haul the coins off to the reserve. I've seen some members reply that they can't spring new fees on you and such.

I am wondering about if a bank tells you that they are going to bill you a fee in order to sell back the currency to the reserve. That they have to pay a fee for the reserve to accept the money. That they cannot tell you what the fee is in advance and that they will just "apply" it to your account once they've been charged by the reserve.

I'm no MrPickles and I'm also not an expert on the inner-workings of a bank or know what legal rights I have. But I received a call today letting me know that if I bring anymore in that they will be forwarding on a charge that they receive from the reserve. I asked if they could mail me the actual fee, and they said they could not, that they would just apply the charge to my account when they receive it.

I found it to be very strange that they just now are springing this on me. I always call ahead and make sure they aren't busy when making a deposit and ask the bank manager if it's ok to come in at that time. Have had a very good relationship with the credit union. I'm not really sure if it's worth my time to fight over it, but I was just wondering if they are allowed to do this. If you have any thoughts let me know, I'd appreciate it!

Generally speaking, my understanding is that the bank can do what they want, within reason.

In terms of not telling you what the fee is in advance, no way. Dont accept that for a second.

However, they can put into a place a policy to charge you fees (not retroactively though, just going forward), and even just refuse to take the coins. Of course doing either runs them the risk of losing a customer, but if they feel that all you're doing is using them for coin deposits and that your business is costing them more money than its worth to keep you around, they can close your accounts.

AlohaDaveKennedy Apr 9, 2010 11:58 am

Don't fight the CU

Ahem - the mint does not want you depositing coins and your cu does not either. So just bring the coins in to pay off your cu's credit card. Paying your cu's card bill is spending the coins, not depositing and the cu can't charge for repayment of debt. Else, if you really insist on making a deposit (because you had to go out of town and did not want those coins lying around for security), shop for another institution, one that will allow you to use your credit cards to open some 30 day CDs while you are there. No sense wasting a trip.:D

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 13740445)

Astrophsx Apr 9, 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 13740480)
Generally speaking, my understanding is that the bank can do what they want, within reason.

In terms of not telling you what the fee is in advance, no way. Dont accept that for a second.

However, they can put into a place a policy to charge you fees (not retroactively though, just going forward), and even just refuse to take the coins. Of course doing either runs them the risk of losing a customer, but if they feel that all you're doing is using them for coin deposits and that your business is costing them more money than its worth to keep you around, they can close your accounts.

I got a call back from a supervisor and they apologized for the mistake and informed me that they will not be charging for any future deposits and they are happy to accept ANY amount that I bring in. They had to call some department to check on things and found out they received some bad information... no idea really.

Though it is an interesting suggestion to buy a 30 day CD. I have had several talks with the manager on when the best time is to bring in coins and how much is alright with them.

Frenchie Flyer Apr 9, 2010 5:16 pm

I've had 20 boxes of NAs on order for literally months. I lost out on the British Airways bonus miles, because of it. At first they said the coins were on hold and would ship, then on backorder. The dates keep moving out a few weeks. I think I'll cancel the order and try again. The first time it was the BA card that was rejecting the order...it was right at my credit line. So I split the order between two cards. So now I'll have to call and see what's up.

Frenchie Flyer

pawtim Apr 9, 2010 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 13741158)
I got a call back from a supervisor and they apologized for the mistake and informed me that they will not be charging for any future deposits and they are happy to accept ANY amount that I bring in.

<snip>

I have had several talks with the manager on when the best time is to bring in coins and how much is alright with them.

My suggestion, which of course you are free to ignore, is not to hit them too hard with big deposits. I've had people tell me "bring in as many as you want!" and I've learned to joke around with them a little saying "I'll pretend you didn't say that -- you have no idea how many of these we're talking about!" :) There are some banks where the staff is friendly about them, and some where they begrudgingly take them. I find myself appreciating the nice banks, so I don't want to overburden them too much!

If you're talking to your bank manager already, as it seems you are, I suggest you have a little low-key, off-to-the side conversation, and say: look, I want to bring these in on a regular basis and deposit them. Realistically, how many can I do per month without being too much of a pain for you and your staff?

I think you'll get a mutually acceptable accord. In my case, I limit myself to $1,500/branch/month as an equilibrium level. I try to avoid confrontation; I think I do better trying to work with them than against them.

Astrophsx Apr 9, 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by pawtim (Post 13742679)
My suggestion, which of course you are free to ignore, is not to hit them too hard with big deposits. I've had people tell me "bring in as many as you want!" and I've learned to joke around with them a little saying "I'll pretend you didn't say that -- you have no idea how many of these we're talking about!" :) There are some banks where the staff is friendly about them, and some where they begrudgingly take them. I find myself appreciating the nice banks, so I don't want to overburden them too much!

If you're talking to your bank manager already, as it seems you are, I suggest you have a little low-key, off-to-the side conversation, and say: look, I want to bring these in on a regular basis and deposit them. Realistically, how many can I do per month without being too much of a pain for you and your staff?

I think you'll get a mutually acceptable accord. In my case, I limit myself to $1,500/branch/month as an equilibrium level. I try to avoid confrontation; I think I do better trying to work with them than against them.

I agree. That's what I did a long time ago and have taken breaks whenever the ship dates are pushed way back. Has worked out very well. I wonder if it has something to do with them being a credit union.

leeda2 Apr 9, 2010 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by pawtim (Post 13742679)

While you're at it, ask the bank manager if there's anything you could do to show your appreciation. I recently asked a branch manager what I could do to show my appreciation and all she said was a box of donuts would be nice and greatly appreciated. I did just that and feel like it was a small price to pay for this single branch handling over $10k in deposits.

beckoa Apr 10, 2010 1:51 am

Ordered 2x JA on 4/1/10
Arrived on 4/6/10

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 13740378)

^ ROTFL ^

What a blast from the past :cool:

JudyJFLA Apr 10, 2010 10:35 am

I take in $1K at a time to deposit as it is all I can carry easily. This week my 3 different bank visits all went well and I just said it was time to pay the tax man, and I didn't want to mail the IRS the coins! Everyone laughed and I was out the door in a flash. I rarely use the same branch twice so they don't see them piling up. One guy even pulled out a metal tray and put the coins on it and gave me the boxes back, which was great since the new smaller boxes are a pain,

JudyJFLA