Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:21 pm

Is bigcrumbs the best affiliate link to use now with amex at 1.35%?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:47 pm

bigcrumbs has the best deal as of right now (4/7/10) but specials pop up. The best deals are around the holidays.
Old May 22, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: UA, USAIR, SPG
amex travel checks

how do i purchase amex travel checks in euros i am planning a trip to germany, and since the euro is way down i thought i would purchase them, i been reading your forum i am fairly new at this , not as much interrested in the points, however that would be great, i have a starwood cc any info. how to buy and of course how to get the most for the least amount of money.
thanks
Old May 22, 2010, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
You can purchase travelers checks in foreign currency or buy foreign currency at true american express offices. You need to make sure that it is not a travel agency authorized to sell traveler's checks - because then it will be treated as a cash advance. On the american express web-site when you look for locations they will tell you with an asterisk which ones are which. It's a good thing you don't care about points because you won't get any and it won't count as yearly purchases, but you would have the convenience of not needing to give them cash. A phone could clarify what kind of agency they are, whether you can charge either cash or traveler's checks. There is some kind of fee different from us traverlers' checks.
Old May 23, 2010, 3:55 am
In memoriam

Be careful. The charges Amex levies for buying forex at one of their US offices (hidden in the applied, not good, exchange rate) are VERY steep.

Much better to wait to get to Europe and use an ATM to get cash. Or just use a credit card from Schwab.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by nursecarmen
bigcrumbs has the best deal as of right now (4/7/10) but specials pop up. The best deals are around the holidays.
Unfortunately bigcrumbs no longer has the Amex cards. It was a good deal at one point (4.5% cashback). Wish I had bought more ...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:47 am

anything better than fatwallet.com at 1% for now?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by gomike
anything better than fatwallet.com at 1% for now?
hmm, i was checking in today hoping for a response to this question but looks like this thread is kind of dead, anyone know of anything?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by HoKo
hmm, i was checking in today hoping for a response to this question but looks like this thread is kind of dead, anyone know of anything?
Yes ,the deal has been dead for more than a year now......its over.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:48 pm

Smile Did you know you can order Amex Travelers Cheques with your credit card?

Just visit www.americanexpress.com/ustc - note that the purchase will not earn points and there are no cash advance fees. You can only use an Amex-issued credit or charge card.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:34 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
So, what would be the advantage of doing this if you get no "miles" or "points"?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by wharvey
So, what would be the advantage of doing this if you get no "miles" or "points"?
I'm a mileage-whore and you beat me to the question...

However recently I got charged over $65.00 "Foreign Transaction Fees" on around $2500 of purchases on my Amex while working in the UK. When the travel is on my own dime and the travelers checks are free, as long as places take them, I'm not really sure that I'd go racing to get 2500 points for $65.00
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
The easy way to avoid paying that kind of fees is to use a Capital One card.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by cvarming
The easy way to avoid paying that kind of fees is to use a Capital One card.
An alternative would be the all-new Priority Club Select Visa card.

https://www.mychasecreditcards.com/5...RRIDE_CELL=PQP
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by 0000
Just visit www.americanexpress.com/ustc - note that the purchase will not earn points and there are no cash advance fees. You can only use an Amex-issued credit or charge card.
how can i contact you for further info? should i get an amex card? do you get a bonus for new members?.....tia for answers....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.