Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I wouldn't do more than $1000 per week per card!
Old May 31, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Glumech
The CSR didn't know immediately the reason why the transaction was declined.
I have a $12,500 cash advance limit of you think doing that much each week would give me the max points?
1) That won't work. Read the earlier posts.
2) If you get greedy with this, they will shut you down. Do it for $1000 here and there and enjoy the free points. Fly too close to the sun and they're going to burn your wings off.

peace,
~Ben~
Old May 31, 2007, 11:58 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
I may try that. Unfortunately I have been using my HHonors and SPG AMEX card alot, so would have to bring them completely to zero first. I think I'll wait until closer to the billing close as you suggest, if I do take the time to attempt it. However, the person at the AMEX Travel Service place told me that another client of hers got charged the cash advance --- apparently he/she had called to complain. So I have been duly warned by her.

Originally Posted by dgordon
I don't think that I am "lucky" as it has happened this way for 5 SPG purchases and 2 Hilton purchases. Why not bring your SPG card balance to zero just before the close of your billing cycle, and buy just $150 of travelers checks, and even pay that off before the billing cycle. The interest would be minimal if any, and if it worked, you would now know that it worked.
On my Hilton card, which I don't otherwise use, it was very clear - I got 6000 points for $2000 work of travelers checks brought on 2 different occasions one week apart.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ET
the person at the AMEX Travel Service place told me that another client of hers got charged the cash advance --- apparently he/she had called to complain.
Probably someone who read this thread! LOL

peace,
~Ben~
Old May 31, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by schmare
Actually, the bank needs to report cash deposits if it's more than $10,000 in a day. The report is called a CTR (currency transaction report). As you noted, depositing large amounts of cash is legal, so this shouldn't cause problems or give reason for suspicion.

If you were to deposit large sums of money frequently, the bank may choose to file a SAR (Suspicious Activity Report), which is a much bigger deal.
I believe the amount was lowered to $5,000 in recent years.
Old May 31, 2007, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

You could clear just one of the cards and only use the other and try the purchase on that card. Next time I go (maybe tomorrow) I could ask about why someone would have the problem of it being considered a cash advance instead of a purchase. When I click on the details of the transaction this is what it shows:
Transaction Date: 05/25/2007
Post Date: No Additional Information
Transaction Description: AMERICAN EXPRESS TRS U.S.A.

Charge: $1,000.00
Merchant Address: AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL
1600 16TH ST

OAK BROOK IL 60523
USA

Merchant Type: TVL AGNTS-CASH ADVNC
Doing Business As: AMERICAN EXPRESS TRVL CKS

In spite of it saying cash advnc under Merchant type - it is clearly a purchase, no interest, no fees and points.

It is still $10,000 according to the notice at the teller's window at AMEX
Old May 31, 2007, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aw, screw it.

I'll be stopping in next Monday on my way from the airport. I'll get a $1000 set of TC's and insist they're a purchase. We'll see where it goes.

I'm tired of all this if-then-else-maybe fannying about.
Old May 31, 2007, 2:26 pm
DH

Merchant Type: TVL AGNTS-CASH ADVNC
Doing Business As: AMERICAN EXPRESS TRVL CKS

In spite of it saying cash advnc under Merchant type - it is clearly a purchase, no interest, no fees and points.
Same for my first attempt. If it was regular cash advance, it would show fees.
Old May 31, 2007, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
Aw, screw it.
I'm tired of all this if-then-else-maybe fannying about.
The tone of that post is totally in line with what I envision when I see the name "BigLar".

I'm gong to buy some tomorrow at lunch, too. Here's to hopin'! ^

peace,
~Ben~
Old May 31, 2007, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

OH my, If I had realized what stres I would be putting people through, I might have decided to keep this all to myself.
Old May 31, 2007, 5:58 pm

OH my, If I had realized what stres I would be putting people through, I might have decided to keep this all to myself.
A darn good thing that you didnt. I'm a thousand SPG points richer. In addition, I discovered some other benefits of traveler's cheques that I hadn't foreseen.
Old May 31, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, US, UA, Starwood
I wouldn't be ine business if you wouldn't have shared! Now I can get 1,000's of starpoints a week!
Old May 31, 2007, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
A little bit of stress is all part of the game! Don't regret sharing. @:-)
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
AUS Flyertalkers alert: The three AmEx agencies in Austin, all "Accent Travel" offices, will NOT allow you to buy TC's using your AmEx card.

Their reason is that "it would be like giving you a cash advance." Well, duh! No amount of questioning or explaining would get them to budge.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:59 pm

I would report them to Amex headquarters.They have a franchise and are in the business of selling Travelers Cheques.What you do with them is not of their concern.I contacted a local Agency office to clarify the question about Purchase vs Cash advance,they said it would be treated as a purchase.I told them if it was otherwise I would hold them respondsible for any charges to my card in excess of actual purchase.Would suggest getting clairfication and understanding before buying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.