Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Corporate Restriction Encountered

delete

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:09 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: ba silver
You should try to contact corporate and get an explanation but two things to keep it mind:

Only police can force you to show a driver's liscence and only if you have care and control of a motor vehicle. You are not in any way required to show ID to a private individual/company but they can ask you to leave if you refuse.

You are also not required to sign anything from a private company. They can ask you to leave but that's it.

If they try and detain you for not showing ID/ refusal to sign their document you are free to force your way out or let them detain you and sue them for forcible confinement.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:10 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
delete
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:16 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Thank you it's too late for me. I already signed the letter. when he asked for the ID this didnt occur to me, I thought he would just see the ID to be sure that i wasnt doing any giftcard fraud etc. When you are not aware of legal stuff before hand, you tend to give them what they ask, he was saying if I ddint sign, then they would call the cops and I wanted to avoid this rucks infront of the people and some of them may know you.

I took a picture of the letter, so isnt that an explanation? What more corporate is going to do? I called the Walmart 800 number and explained the situation, they werent much helpful other than the ban may last for a year or so etc.
Why would you ever sign something like that? You were never doing any of the offenses listed in that letter. Buying a GC with a valid form of payment is in no way enough to generate that kind of response. If that one store wants to ban you that's fine, but you shouldn't be committing to a ban from the whole chain.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Jan 24, 2024 at 7:46 pm Reason: scrubbing the screeshot of the letter
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:11 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Why would you ever sign something like that? You were never doing any of the offenses listed in that letter. Buying a GC with a valid form of payment is in no way enough to generate that kind of response. If that one store wants to ban you that's fine, but you shouldn't be committing to a ban from the whole chain.
IANAL but I think that WM can restrict anyone they want, as long as discrimination laws aren't violated.

If WM had my signiture on such a document, I would not go into one, especially given the advances in facial recognition.
Getting arrested for trespassing would generate so much paperwork in my profession that WM is not worth it. Target is jiust next door.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:11 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:49 pm

Does anybody know what this has to do with air travel?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
IANAL but I think that WM can restrict anyone they want, as long as discrimination laws aren't violated.

If WM had my signature on such a document, I would not go into one, especially given the advances in facial recognition.
Getting arrested for trespassing would generate so much paperwork in my profession that WM is not worth it. Target is jiust next door.
First, I find it hard to believe a WM employee can ban you from the store for attempting to buy a product that's hanging on a shelf, at a register where you can ring it up and pay for it with legal tender.

If they did in fact give a warning like that, and saw you there again, how can they prove you got a warning in the past? Do they have video+audio on record of you agreeing not to buy GC again? Why didn't you just play dumb and pretend you never heard of them before?

You should have just left the store without any paperwork. What are you going to do, call the cops to report you for legally buying merchandise? There's no way they can force you to sign a letter incriminating yourself and voluntarily agreeing to be banned from all WM.

Finally, if as someone said, they can't force you to show ID, how will any other WM store enforce this ban? What do they have a perfect facial recognition system like in some scifi dystopia?

This whole story makes no sense.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:12 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I live in a small town, I have talked to manager/ 2-3 assistant manager few times when the associate wont let me load or buy giftcards, this has been an issue started about a year ago, not before that. So I didnt want to take a chance that they dont have some recording or something. I just didnt want this to escalate knowing, they did tell me 5-6 times before to not buy giftcards and or load and I still kept doing it for lack of a hard warning thinking it would go away if I give it a break or dont do it a lot so it is not that visible. I thought if they call the cop and if they charge me with trespass then it is a big deal, hence wanted to get away with warning and then figure out what the options are.

I slowed down considerably at this store, was lately only buying gift card here and there and for load I was using a different walmart. I was buying my giftcards at drug stores but this was to come down like this today. the manger was saying we told you no at MC so now you are buying it at self checkout.

still, none of this amount to I signing up a paper but I just didnt know what the law is and was not prepared. The transaction at self check out failed, the manager came i thought he was going to cancel the transaction, asked for ID, I thought ok give him ID so he verifies and satisfied, instead after few minutes later handed me paper to sign.

I dont know if he saved the copy of DL, took a photo etc, I wasnt paying attention. I asked for copy for my record and he said we dont give a copy, I then said let me get a picture for my record which I did.
I'm no lawyer, but since you were not doing anything illegal, not disturbing the peace, exposing your weewee in public, etc. the cops probably can't arrest you simply on verbal hear-say from some yellow-vest that they supposedly told you buying GC is not allowed. That's like saying you're not allowed to buy eggs again, it's dumb.

You should have played dumb, said you never heard of them before, and left the store. This way you're banned in one place full of idiots, but can at least go to other WM.
Temedar, nancypants and Gitangali like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by malbik
Does anybody know what this has to do with air travel?
This is the manufactured spending forum. Manufactured spending (including buying gift cards) generates credit card rewards that can be used to book air travel.
DaveH, cruisr, cuthroat and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I'm no lawyer, but since you were not doing anything illegal, not disturbing the peace, exposing your weewee in public, etc. the cops probably can't arrest you simply on verbal hear-say from some yellow-vest that they supposedly told you buying GC is not allowed. That's like saying you're not allowed to buy eggs again, it's dumb.

You should have played dumb, said you never heard of them before, and left the store. This way you're banned in one place full of idiots, but can at least go to other WM.
Retail stores are private property, they can admit or exclude anyone as they see fit provided they are not violating any laws. The OP has confirmed understanding that he is not welcome at any WM and liable for prosecution on the grounds of trespass if he returns. Being prosecuted for trespass can carry risk for certain people, for example those who are on probation or not permanent residents.

OP, no one can be sure if WM will go to the length of calling the police if you return, but only you know your detailed situation and have to decide if it is worth the risk or not. You have already signed what is essentially an agreement never to step foot into a Walmart again and also written a letter to Bentonville, the details of which you did not explain. Not sure how anyone can help you here and you cannot say you were not warned. Suggest you try to get legal advice, maybe your community/county has a local community legal aid service.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:45 am

Are you able to buy online? That might be an option. I was banned at a Walmart, but it was only for the money center. No issue with buying in store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.