Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2024- )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2024, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
S&S Promotion History 2024 onwards

1/12/24: 2xVGC
3/15/24: 2xVGC
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2024- )

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond

MODERATOR NOTE: This thread is a continuation of the previous discussion found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...2018-21-a.html

Seems like I got lucky with a glitch? I pumped at shell last week using the $1.50/gal discount (paying with a shell gc). The discount applied and I filled up the car. I hit "print receipt" and the receipt printed and as I take the receipt, I noticed a weird message show up on the screen. something like "loyalty account rejected or not accepted" something along those lines. I checked my receipt and gc balance is correct so I did not think much of it. I check today and I still see the $1.50 rewards in my FR app. Hopefully will still be there in a few days when I got pump lol

Last edited by cbn42; Jan 3, 2024 at 8:50 pm
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:07 pm

Did you get $1.50 or $1.55 off a gallon? With a linked Shell Rewards card to the S&S, you should get another nickel.

I always do gas. When we had a string of weeks with "any gift card" getting points, I did run out of ability to store gas so started instead getting diesel and filling my home heating oil tank. Not much of a limit there with a 275 gallon tank. My Jeep has a trailer hitch rack and I can line up 4 or 5 gas cans, so getting 20 gallons (or back in the day, 35 gallons) is no big deal. I have noticed that all the Shell gift cards at S&S are only $25 now. Far better when they were $50 so could be spent filling $1.55 off gas. Anyone seeing $50 or $100 Shells at S&S? I'm almost tempted to grab some from the shell station and try to then "buy" them at S&S. Hmmmmm.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Car Jack

. Anyone seeing $50 or $100 Shells at S&S? I'm almost tempted to grab some from the shell station and try to then "buy" them at S&S. Hmmmmm.
If you have the way with all to "obtain" $50 GCs from another chain store (aka shoplifting), they should be good at SS stores.
However, remember that every item in S&S has a unique UPC code that any computer can recognize and if S&S's computers do not have the $50 GC UPC in their data base, there may be a problem checking out. I suspect, however, the S&S doesn't care as long as they carry Shell GCs and I actually suspect that the UPC for this item is in their data base. The company just doesn't wish to stock it.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Car Jack
Did you get $1.50 or $1.55 off a gallon? With a linked Shell Rewards card to the S&S, you should get another nickel.

I always do gas. When we had a string of weeks with "any gift card" getting points, I did run out of ability to store gas so started instead getting diesel and filling my home heating oil tank. Not much of a limit there with a 275 gallon tank. My Jeep has a trailer hitch rack and I can line up 4 or 5 gas cans, so getting 20 gallons (or back in the day, 35 gallons) is no big deal. I have noticed that all the Shell gift cards at S&S are only $25 now. Far better when they were $50 so could be spent filling $1.55 off gas. Anyone seeing $50 or $100 Shells at S&S? I'm almost tempted to grab some from the shell station and try to then "buy" them at S&S. Hmmmmm.
$25 only at my local SS in central NJ (haven't tried other local SS). Those don't work when redeeming a big discount since its roughly 8 gallons and why lose the rest of the discount.

Shoprite, Wegmans locally sell $50 Shell. I'll occasionally buy those when I have a big discount so I'm running a fresh $50 card. I'll buy those with Amex BCP for the 6% discount.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Giant MD 2x points on Vanilla Visa 1/12-1/18/24. Small text does show $2000 limit per household. Bust out your Chase Freedom/Flex cards to stack with 5x UR Q1 2024 on groceries.
JiGGiE likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
Giant MD 2x points on Vanilla Visa 1/12-1/18/24. Small text does show $2000 limit per household. Bust out your Chase Freedom/Flex cards to stack with 5x UR Q1 2024 on groceries.
Thank you for the update.

Looking for a Giant partner to work with this week, I am in S&S land. PM me if interested.
TTT103 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
Seeing same offer for Giant PA 2x choice points.
centrifuge41 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:35 am

Specific question-- but has anyone gotten Vanilla to work paying either Geico or Xfinity lately? Im getting rejects paying bills and of course Vanillas taj ma CS cant help me and just spews "use at another merchant"... I cant buy these if they dont work anywhere anymore.

Edit: What do these vanillas actually work for nowadays?

I got it to work paying medical and dental bills but thats about it. I want metabank back!!

Last edited by profitone; Jan 10, 2024 at 6:00 pm
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:35 pm

Anyone have issues with their CC being denied by Giant for hitting up more than one Giant location at the same day? I called the issuer but they said my card wasn't locked or anything. This only happened when they switched to Vanillas and I'm not even looking to earn points (just hitting MSR). At first I thought this might be tied to my Giant Rewards account but I experience the same thing even if I don't provide this so the only thing that might be the case is that they track amount of Vanillas purchased on a CC a day.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:15 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mind
Anyone have issues with their CC being denied by Giant for hitting up more than one Giant location at the same day? I called the issuer but they said my card wasn't locked or anything. This only happened when they switched to Vanillas and I'm not even looking to earn points (just hitting MSR). At first I thought this might be tied to my Giant Rewards account but I experience the same thing even if I don't provide this so the only thing that might be the case is that they track amount of Vanillas purchased on a CC a day.
Its not at Giants end, they would happily sell you more VGC's but not issue the reward points.
Its probably CC algorithm. Think about it, Mind normally spends $100 a few of times a week at Giant. This fits the model for typical transactions from other people at Giant. Then out of the blue Mind spends $2k at Giant, followed by another $2k an hour later at another Giant. Computer suspects something is up and declines the transaction.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:22 am

Whenever I say the purchases are for a business, the clerks' been acting surprised, assuming they are for employee incentives or whatever for the holiday season. This sometimes lead to some hesitation or suspicion even if they have no problems with proceeding with the purchase. Anyone have better excuses to avoid the awkwardness/small talk?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by mind
Whenever I say the purchases are for a business, the clerks' been acting surprised, assuming they are for employee incentives or whatever for the holiday season. This sometimes lead to some hesitation or suspicion even if they have no problems with proceeding with the purchase. Anyone have better excuses to avoid the awkwardness/small talk?
Just say for rewards point from the CC or gas points
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:23 pm

Are Giant PA and Martin's Maryland rewards earning/usage interchangeable?. For example, if i use my Giant PA phone # in Martin store in MD, will it work or do i have to create separate ac?. CS seems confused as they say it sometime works and sometimes do not.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:29 am

InComm vs. Sutton?

Any datapoints showing that InComm is preferable to Sutton, or vice versa? Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Any datapoints showing that InComm is preferable to Sutton, or vice versa? Thanks.
Sutton is the bank and InComm services the card. Did you mean to ask whether Pathward or Sutton is better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.