Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Easy consolidation of $200 Visa and MC gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold

Hello. Is there an easy way to consolidate $200 gift cards into a single larger amount?

I recognize now that many online merchants only allow 2 forms of payments for each purchase. Would PayPal be a way to consolidate multiple $200 gift cards into a single larger amount PayPal gift card?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:04 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. Is there an easy way to consolidate $200 gift cards into a single larger amount?

I recognize now that many online merchants only allow 2 forms of payments for each purchase. Would PayPal be a way to consolidate multiple $200 gift cards into a single larger amount PayPal gift card?

Thanks for any advice.
have a look at this thread - Walmart VGC master thread
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by cagcag

Thanks for any advice.
Only certain GCs can be loaded onto any online merchants like PP, Amazon, Plastiq etc. Some can't be done. You'll have to use those at stores. Almost all eGift cards should be able to use online.

If you can load onto PP, you can pay certain bills. But only some, like utility etc. You'll have to experiment with the cards.

If you can register onto Plastiq, you can pay some loans etc. With the new delivery fee, you'll be paying like 3.5% fee. That will wipe out all your CC earnings.

With the holiday promos, you can easily get some GCs cheaper than face amount. Like pay $98 for a $100 VGC. But it requires a lot of work to liquidate them. If you can find some friendly store and friendly casher at WM etc, go learn the tricks.

For certain time period, folks did a lot of $99 MOs.
TyrannicalDuncery likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by DeirEzZur
Only certain GCs can be loaded onto any online merchants like PP, Amazon, Plastiq etc. Some can't be done. You'll have to use those at stores. Almost all eGift cards should be able to use online.

If you can load onto PP, you can pay certain bills. But only some, like utility etc. You'll have to experiment with the cards.

If you can register onto Plastiq, you can pay some loans etc. With the new delivery fee, you'll be paying like 3.5% fee. That will wipe out all your CC earnings.

With the holiday promos, you can easily get some GCs cheaper than face amount. Like pay $98 for a $100 VGC. But it requires a lot of work to liquidate them. If you can find some friendly store and friendly casher at WM etc, go learn the tricks.

For certain time period, folks did a lot of $99 MOs.
Thank you, DEZ
DeirEzZur likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:01 pm

Some are using the smaller vgc to purchase larger vgc at WM-SCO.
Match doesn't add up, but when stuck it has been working for some.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:46 pm

I routinely convert problematic $200 BHNs to nice $500 InComm at WM NM SCO. I can burn 5 BHNs to 2 InComms in one trip (though I do it in two transactions) at 4.94 per 500 InComm. That just under 1%, which is acceptable because all my BHNs come from Office store sales, so no fee and 5% on CIC. Profit to me == 4% and an easy InComm drain to Discover/One/Serve.

Draining 200s via MO at grocery store works too and costs less, but more hassle. YMMV of course.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:58 pm

is the $200 BHN VGC or MasterCard GC? I have problem use $200 VGC at WM SCO but MCGC is fine as Credit
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:54 pm

What I've discovered:
  • Staples
    • VGC - $99 swipe limit at WM SCO. Doesn't work at most MC, CS counters.
    • MCGC - full $200 swipe at WM SCO. DPs say they can work at MC, CS counter but you need to do the majick "switch payment" dance.
  • ODOM
    • VGC
      • Anywhere (Fashion/Grocery) full $200 swipe at WM SCO.
      • Classic BHN 200 (yellow ones) $99 swipe limit at WM SCO. Don't bother with these if you can get Anywheres instead.
    • MCGC - Worthless at WM SCO, MC or CS counters. Take these to the grocery store to get MOs instead.
As always, YMMV.
sungchiahao and mrsoupsox like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
What I've discovered:
  • Staples
    • VGC - $99 swipe limit at WM SCO. Doesn't work at most MC, CS counters.
    • MCGC - full $200 swipe at WM SCO. DPs say they can work at MC, CS counter but you need to do the majick "switch payment" dance.
  • ODOM
    • VGC
      • Anywhere (Fashion/Grocery) full $200 swipe at WM SCO.
      • Classic BHN 200 (yellow ones) $99 swipe limit at WM SCO. Don't bother with these if you can get Anywheres instead.
    • MCGC - Worthless at WM SCO, MC or CS counters. Take these to the grocery store to get MOs instead.
As always, YMMV.
I have no issue using the ODOM MCGC at WM SCO for $49 swipes. With the Staples yellow VGC I can often get $199 swipes at WM SCO. I've been consolidating both of those to $500 SS VGC this week at WM SCO.

For your Staples MCGC, are you running those as a debit with PIN or as a credit? It's been months since I've been able to get those to work at WM for more than $49 swipe.
Clueless12 likes this.

Last edited by Hobo_Joe; Jan 19, 2024 at 1:55 pm
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by DeirEzZur

Thanks DeirEzZur!! Do you know which GCs can and cannot be used on PayPal?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by TyrannicalDuncery
Thanks DeirEzZur!! Do you know which GCs can and cannot be used on PayPal?
If you value your PP account, you may want to peruse this thread before embarking on your proposed plan

All things Paypal (2017-onwards)

Then again, maybe you don't, but be warned that PP does not play nice with MSers.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:15 pm

Yeah, after posting this I did some more reading and it looks pretty scary. I'm not a real MSer (just trying to pay my bills with visa GC), but I'm guessing they don't care.

I guess on a scale of 1 to 10, I value my PP account at a 3. Bill pay is really all that sets it apart for me.

Thanks for the warning! <3
Old Jan 20, 2024, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hobo_Joe
I have no issue using the ODOM MCGC at WM SCO for $49 swipes. With the Staples yellow VGC I can often get $199 swipes at WM SCO. I've been consolidating both of those to $500 SS VGC this week at WM SCO.

For your Staples MCGC, are you running those as a debit with PIN or as a credit? It's been months since I've been able to get those to work at WM for more than $49 swipe.
Interesting! Entirely possible that things very over time and from store to store. I'll have to keep testing! For me, ODOM MCGC couldn't even buy a pack of gum at SCO, but worked (for purchases) at regular checkout. Staples MCGC was full 200 per swipe most times. Occasionally declined for 200, but even then worked for 99 followed by 101.

Staples VGC is max 99 for me at SCO. MCGC doesn't allow me to enter PIN at SCO, so no
Old Feb 29, 2024, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
What I've discovered: Staples VGC - $99 swipe limit at WM SCO. Doesn't work at most MC, CS counters. MCGC - full $200 swipe at WM SCO. DPs say they can work at MC, CS counter but you need to do the majick "switch payment" dance. ODOM VGC Anywhere (Fashion/Grocery) full $200 swipe at WM SCO. Classic BHN 200 (yellow ones) $99 swipe limit at WM SCO. Don't bother with these if you can get Anywheres instead. MCGC - Worthless at WM SCO, MC or CS counters. Take these to the grocery store to get MOs instead.As always, YMMV.
I tried using Staples MCGC for $200 swipes at WM SCO but they failed. I never got to enter a PIN so I think it was being run as Credit, but then I never got the option to do cancel and run it as debit like I've seen described. How do you get it to work?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by hear
I tried using Staples MCGC for $200 swipes at WM SCO but they failed. I never got to enter a PIN so I think it was being run as Credit, but then I never got the option to do cancel and run it as debit like I've seen described. How do you get it to work?
Yeah. As always YMMV. I had a couple fail for full $200 but then I swipe them for $100 two times and that works. Most work for the full $200 for me at SCO.

If nothing else works, $200 MO at grocery store usually works, but man what a PITA

Last edited by SailorJoe; Apr 15, 2024 at 10:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.