Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with AAA gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:17 am
Original Poster

They currently have a 20% Cashback deal on Starbucks and Shell. I definitely buy lots of gas at Shell.

But what can you do with the 20% rebate, I am unclear.

Thanks.

Last edited by bladerunner6; Nov 16, 2023 at 7:29 am
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bladerunner6
They currently have a 20% Cashback deal on Starbucks and Shell. I definitely buy lots of gas at Shell.

But what can you do with the 20% rebate, I am unclear.

Thanks.
I know that the search function is not the best in the world, but putting AAA giftcards in it comes back with the following:

AAA - no processing fee giftcards

If you peruse this thread, you may come to realize why not much has been written about using these cards for MSing
Old Nov 17, 2023, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1
I know that the search function is not the best in the world, but putting AAA giftcards in it comes back with the following:

AAA - no processing fee giftcards

If you peruse this thread, you may come to realize why not much has been written about using these cards for MSing
I did do a search for “AAA” and I saw a number of posts. I was just hoping for something newer than half a decade old and pre-pandemic.

I suppose the old data and the absence of new DP shows the lack of viability for MSing.

Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
AAA Mastercard gift cards with no purchase fee for holidays

I just received an email from AAA offering Mastercard gift cards with no purchase fee for the holidays. Many years ago, I purchased AAA Visa gift cards and remember those were issued by Metabank. I'm unfamiliar with the new issuer and servicer, as noted below (from the fine print in the email). I wasn't sure if it made sense to post about this in the old Visa GC thread or here or a new thread, but posted here since it's a recent thread and I didn't want to create clutter with a new post about a card that might be relatively useless.

No Fees After Purchase | Non-Reloadable | No Cash or ATM Access

1 $0 purchase fee applies to Mastercard Gift Cards purchased by Members at local AAA stores only and is valid from November 24 to December 24, 2023. Limit of 10 $0 purchase fee Mastercard Gift Cards per membership.

Card is issued by Patriot Bank N.A., Member FDIC, pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated. Card is distributed and serviced by Paysign, Inc. Valid only in the United States.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by needtoescape
I just received an email from AAA offering Mastercard gift cards with no purchase fee for the holidays. Many years ago, I purchased AAA Visa gift cards and remember those were issued by Metabank. I'm unfamiliar with the new issuer and servicer, as noted below (from the fine print in the email). I wasn't sure if it made sense to post about this in the old Visa GC thread or here or a new thread, but posted here since it's a recent thread and I didn't want to create clutter with a new post about a card that might be relatively useless.

No Fees After Purchase | Non-Reloadable | No Cash or ATM Access

1 $0 purchase fee applies to Mastercard Gift Cards purchased by Members at local AAA stores only and is valid from November 24 to December 24, 2023. Limit of 10 $0 purchase fee Mastercard Gift Cards per membership.

Card is issued by Patriot Bank N.A., Member FDIC, pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated. Card is distributed and serviced by Paysign, Inc. Valid only in the United States.
Another problem with AAA GCs, which has been discussed in the old thread, was that one could not purchase these cards with a credit card.

I did inquire at two different clubs as to whether I could purchase the cards with a CC and was told that only cash, bank debit card or check was acceptable.
DId your club allow these to be bought with credit cards?
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by radonc1
Another problem with AAA GCs, which has been discussed in the old thread, was that one could not purchase these cards with a credit card.

I did inquire at two different clubs as to whether I could purchase the cards with a CC and was told that only cash, bank debit card or check was acceptable.
DId your club allow these to be bought with credit cards?
I haven't tried to buy any AAA gift cards for many years. In the past, I did purchase a few with credit cards (AAA Midatlantic), but the last couple of times I tried, they blocked me in their system and wouldn't allow me to purchase GCs. IIRC, Metabank was tracking usage patterns and didn't like it when people spent almost the entire $500 at Walmart in one shot. I don't MS now, so I would only be interested in these GCs if I could use them to pay Federal taxes. It seems like the tax processing companies have become quite picky about which prepaid cards they accept, and my health insurance company also recently stopped taking prepaid debit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.