Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ongoing MS Gebit BHN breakdown

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2023, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Are the new problems all related to that company?

FWIW, I was buying a few $500 giftcards at Walgreens to meet a minimum spend last month. No problem liquidating them, except the last one became "not authoritzed" at an Albertson's store earlier this month. i assume Walgreens sell BHN and I got caught in the "crackdown"?
Yes-New problems related to BHN and more specifically the $1K Simon VGCs.
The Walgreens VGCs that I purchase are the Vanilla ones which are serviced/distributed by InComm.
They work for MOs at WMT.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chasepoints
The Walgreens VGCs that I purchase are the Vanilla ones which are serviced/distributed by InComm.
They work for MOs at WMT.
Interesting. I guess I recall that some stores sell gift cards that are serviced by different outfits. Am I correct tht some Vanillas are serviced by InComm and some aren't? "Who sells what" is now a very big deal.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:09 pm

Interesting. I guess I recall that some stores sell gift cards that are serviced by different outfits. Am I correct tht some Vanillas are serviced by InComm and some aren't? "Who sells what" is now a very big deal.
Vanilla VGC and Secure Spend VGC are only serviced by InComm.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:29 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by andyandy
Interesting. I'm attempting to liquidate Sunrise VGCs at WD with zero success. "Not authorized" on cards with confirmed balance with PIN reset - which itself difficult to manage with the giftcardmall site totally broken. And this is at a very MS friendly WD.

Andyandy
If my DP helps, I was unable to liquidate a Sunrise VGC at WM for a MO.
It was bought at Meijers which I believe it means that it was serviced by BHN, which may explain the result.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
It was bought at Meijers which I believe it means that it was serviced by BHN, which may explain the result.
The VGCs at my local grocery store sell the ones that are issued by Sunrise and they are serviced by BHN.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:57 pm

Vanilla VGC and Secure Spend VGC are only serviced by InComm.
Just curious.
Why is there a Vanilla and a Secure Spend. What's the difference?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Apologies to the OP if I'm veering a little off the intended topic of this thread.

I have given up on MOs. Liquidation into MOs in my area has become too much of a PITA. So I sometimes liquidate online (for example, by paying quarterly estimated taxes or by paying Medicare fees).

I only have one local Albertson's store where the cashiers will allow me to buy a VGC with a credit card. That store has switched from Metabank cards to InComm cards (Vanilla VISAs and Secure Spend cards). The old Metas were easy to register online with my address. But I'm finding Vanilla registration confusing. Here's what I've just started doing for Vanillas. (Secure Spend cards have me baffled.) I hope someone will tell me if I'm on the right track. The goal is to use these Vanillas online.

Step 1: Create an account at https://www.vanillagift.com/customer/account/create/. I then clicked the Address Book and entered my address and zip code. OK, so now my address should be attached to my Vanilla account.

Step 2: When I buy a Vanilla VISA, go to https://www.vanillagift.com/, sign in to my account, then click on Check Balance. Now enter the card #, expiration, and CVV. Click Sign In to see the card balance. Then click Manage PIN to set a card PIN. If I understand, the card should now be activated and (I hope) registered so that I can use it online.

My question: am I on the right track? Does this register the card with my address so I can use a Vanilla VISA online?

I should be able to make first quarter 2023 estimated tax payments online starting this coming week and I'm hoping it goes smoothly.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by bdwyfan
Just curious.
Why is there a Vanilla and a Secure Spend. What's the difference?
For liquidation purposes, no difference. They have different issuers but the same servicer. I wanted to make you aware that Secure Spends also work.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Apologies to the OP if I'm veering a little off the intended topic of this thread.

I have given up on MOs. Liquidation into MOs in my area has become too much of a PITA. So I sometimes liquidate online (for example, by paying quarterly estimated taxes or by paying Medicare fees).

I only have one local Albertson's store where the cashiers will allow me to buy a VGC with a credit card. That store has switched from Metabank cards to InComm cards (Vanilla VISAs and Secure Spend cards). The old Metas were easy to register online with my address. But I'm finding Vanilla registration confusing. Here's what I've just started doing for Vanillas. (Secure Spend cards have me baffled.) I hope someone will tell me if I'm on the right track. The goal is to use these Vanillas online.

Step 1: Create an account at https://www.vanillagift.com/customer/account/create/. I then clicked the Address Book and entered my address and zip code. OK, so now my address should be attached to my Vanilla account.

Step 2: When I buy a Vanilla VISA, go to https://www.vanillagift.com/, sign in to my account, then click on Check Balance. Now enter the card #, expiration, and CVV. Click Sign In to see the card balance. Then click Manage PIN to set a card PIN. If I understand, the card should now be activated and (I hope) registered so that I can use it online.

My question: am I on the right track? Does this register the card with my address so I can use a Vanilla VISA online?

I should be able to make first quarter 2023 estimated tax payments online starting this coming week and I'm hoping it goes smoothly.
You should be good to go.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Today was trying to load my BB at WM MC, with 99 swipes. After two 297 transactions, on the 2nd swipe of the 3rd transaction, started getting Debit 12 or 93 errors. One was on the exact same $200 card I just used for Swipe 1. After a few futile attempts, I finished it with a DE card. This is a new development.
are these product from Staples? Did u give it another try at another time, the 2nd swipe, hoping for better outcome? 🤔 if not, would be a PITA to only liquidate or load $99 at a time

Last edited by danhouston; Feb 27, 2023 at 8:25 am
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
FWIW, I created this thread because the problem goes beyond the Simon 1Ks and seems to affect all BHN cards. Certainly it has nerfed the BHN 500 VLCs that I am able to get at my local WD.

Andyandy
Chasepoints likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andyandy
FWIW, I created this thread because the problem goes beyond the Simon 1Ks and seems to affect all BHN cards. Certainly it has nerfed the BHN 500 VLCs that I am able to get at my local WD.

Andyandy
I would suggest that the Simons are just a tiny part of this new problem. I think of those 1ks as a niche product, largely appealing to the heavy hitters. Now, buying any MO with gift cards is a confusing PITA. This impacts almost everyone who's ever done this. Heck, in the past, I've advised a few newbies to turn a Gebit at a supermarket to easily satisfy a credit card sign up bonus. I don't think I'd do that these days.
andyandy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:29 am

I would suggest that the Simons are just a tiny part of this new problem. I think of those 1ks as a niche product, largely appealing to the heavy hitters. Now, buying any MO with gift cards is a confusing PITA. This impacts almost everyone who's ever done this. Heck, in the past, I've advised a few newbies to turn a Gebit at a supermarket to easily satisfy a credit card sign up bonus. I don't think I'd do that these days.
still possible for now, as long as one would avoid most BHN-serviced cards

Last edited by danhouston; Feb 27, 2023 at 8:35 am
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:00 am
ra7

Originally Posted by radonc1
Can you try at Meijer though?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Today was trying to load my BB at WM MC, with 99 swipes. After two 297 transactions, on the 2nd swipe of the 3rd transaction, started getting Debit 12 or 93 errors. One was on the exact same $200 card I just used for Swipe 1. After a few futile attempts, I finished it with a DE card. This is a new development.
You probably hit the the store limit of $485 or so every 7-10 minutes. If you wait a few more minutes it would probably work. The second or third swipe of your second transaction should have failed unless it was more than 7-10 minutes after the first swipe of the first transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.