Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Has anybody had success using a magstripe reader/writer to make a custom debit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anybody had success using a magstripe reader/writer to make a custom debit card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I know the fuze card is an option.. but has anyone tried writing the paypal key to a blank card and using it that way in person instead of online?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:02 am
ogg

Why would you do that? You can use the underlying card for a regular purchase, so there's no point in using PPK for that. The main reason to use PPK is in cases where you need debit, not credit, for a transaction. But an in-person debit transaction requires a PIN number. PPKs don't have one. Writing the virtual number to a physical card won't provide a PIN either, so a PIN-based transaction can't be processed.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ogg
The main reason to use PPK is in cases where you need debit, not credit, for a transaction.
Yes, that's the point. I have a method that used to work with credit but needs debit now sometimes.

it seems with some x2 emv software you can add a pin. This is something I want to experiment with and see if it works. Maybe it won't
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:06 am
ogg

Of course you can add a PIN. But since there is no real PIN, it won't validate when you try to use it for an in-person debit transaction.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ogg
Of course you can add a PIN. But since there is no real PIN, it won't validate when you try to use it for an in-person debit transaction.
Then maybe if I swipe like credit card it won't ask for pin. Or it would accept any number. I'm willing to try. Do you have the software?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:37 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by neiltyson
Then maybe if I swipe like credit card it won't ask for pin. Or it would accept any number. I'm willing to try. Do you have the software?
If it doesn't ask for a PIN, it's processing as credit so you didn't have to use a faked card--use your regular underlying credit card. But it's not going to work. Search for "magnetic card writer" on Amazon or Ebay if you want to buy one.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:26 pm

I know the fuze card is an option.. but has anyone tried writing the paypal key to a blank card and using it that way in person instead of online?
You would get stuck at writing the 3 digit cvv code to the magstripe. The code on the magstripe is generated using some algorithm/encryption and is totally different than the 3 digit code that ppk gives you
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jumbotron_
You would get stuck at writing the 3 digit cvv code to the magstripe. The code on the magstripe is generated using some algorithm/encryption and is totally different than the 3 digit code that ppk gives you

Wouldn't the software figure that out? Getting the ITM code or whatever it is

I got the paypal biz debit card, maybe swiping info from that will work for the reload
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Wouldn't the software figure that out? Getting the ITM code or whatever it is

I got the paypal biz debit card, maybe swiping info from that will work for the reload
I suggest that you make a visit to the dark web.

There are plenty of sites there more than willing to sell you information on how to scam financial institutions.
grayland likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:14 pm
ogg

There's no CVV information in any magstripe. It's a security measure to make sure the physical card is available to you. It isn't read from a magstripe--it's only printed on the card.

Wouldn't the software figure that out?
If you could "figure out" a CVV through software, why would anyone use it as a security feature? Also, the software supplied with readers will simply read and write card data. It's not intelligent. It writes what you tell it to write.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by ogg
There's no CVV information in any magstripe. It's a security measure to make sure the physical card is available to you. It isn't read from a magstripe--it's only printed on the card.

If you could "figure out" a CVV through software, why would anyone use it as a security feature? Also, the software supplied with readers will simply read and write card data. It's not intelligent. It writes what you tell it to write.

Right, magstripe has the CVC number which is totally different than the visible 3 digit CVV number from PPK. There would be no way of writing that CVC number to magstripe as it's generated using some algorithm/encryption. Now whether or not some software can figure out what the CVC would be, I'm not sure.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Right, magstripe has the CVC number which is totally different than the visible 3 digit CVV number from PPK. There would be no way of writing that CVC number to magstripe as it's generated using some algorithm/encryption. Now whether or not some software can figure out what the CVC would be, I'm not sure.
Do you have any software?

I have the paypal biz debit card, so maybe the info I swipe from there will be same after I input ppk number. I'm willing to try
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:57 am
ogg

jumbotron, magstripe does NOT have the CVC number, which is just another word for the CVV number. There is no software that can figure it out, because it is not based on the card number at all. It's randomly generated and printed on the card.

neiltyson, go ahead and try if you like. You seem fixated on this notion and apparently don't believe what I've said. So check it out for yourself.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ogg
jumbotron, magstripe does NOT have the CVC number, which is just another word for the CVV number. There is no software that can figure it out, because it is not based on the card number at all. It's randomly generated and printed on the card.

neiltyson, go ahead and try if you like. You seem fixated on this notion and apparently don't believe what I've said. So check it out for yourself.
That is not correct. CVC IS encoded on the magstripe and is totally different than the cvv number on the back of the card.

https://randomoracle.wordpress.com/2...-card-data-12/
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:30 pm

Do you have any software?

I have the paypal biz debit card, so maybe the info I swipe from there will be same after I input ppk number. I'm willing to try
Nope, I'm not aware of any software that can generate a cvc1 number

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.