Wiki Posts
Search

POS hard-code against prepaid cards?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:23 am
Original Poster

POS hard-code against prepaid cards?

Not sure if new thread is warranted, and single DP doesn't make a trend, but --

For years, I could make in -person property tax payments with GCs at my county's treasurer's office, without surcharge. Whatever $200 cards that I accumulated, I took them in every few months & treasurer's POS ate them candy (I live in a high-tax state, unfortunately). Anyway, on my most recent visit, I noticed that their POS swiper looked different, and displayed logo of Elavon merchant processor. It rejected each of several MC GCs that I swiped. To save face, I ultimately used a personal MC-branded debit to make a payment.

I interpreted this experience to be some sort of hard coding against GCs, a la USPS. Wondering if this is something that may be catching on, or (hopefully) just an isolated occurrence.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:40 am

Some places it works, some places it does not. Good for you for experimenting.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:44 pm

Interesting find. I am not sure if the processor company that the Treasurer uses has any effect since I don't think the processor is the almighty authority on what cards it chooses to select unless being told otherwise. I am sure they are just being told what to do by the county. It could also be that the Treasurer billing department may have ordered a block on certain BINs and it just so happen to be a coincidence. I am pretty sure with the USPS gebit ban I don't think the processor company machine changed at the time but it was due to USPS ordering the processor company to block certain BINs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.