Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money Orders at Publix

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Skink
Yes, I used a $200 VGC for a $199 MO (since they charge 99 cents). I've never been comfortable with using multiple cards for a larger MO. It would save me money and time if I did though.

I buy 2 $299 MOs and pay for them in one transaction with swipes of 2 $300 cards. Sometimes, if I am worried about them seeing my gift cards, after they ring that up I'll ask them for a lottery ticket to distract them from my sliding cards.
Skink likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:21 am

Publix seems to change a lot recently.

Last edited by frankliforever; Aug 31, 2021 at 11:26 am Reason: change reply
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by trey
I am in Atlanta near many Publixs. Today 4 of my 6 usually succesful stores rejected me. I asked several and they said they were recently old to enforce this rule. But the 2 others obviously did not.
Which stores are you buying with problems and without? I am in Atlanta area as well. Maybe I guess we can check and combining our resources?

The publix at Oglethorpe Crossing did not accept VGC anymore and they asked my ID so that one is gone.
Publix at Town Brookhaven sometimes accepts.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by frankliforever
... they asked my ID so that one is gone.
Not always -- sometimes they look at the ID and proceed anyways (either they forget the name-matching step or just deem you trustworthy).
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:34 am

I noticed a new sign at customer service saying something along the lines of limit of $1,500 a day in money orders. My Simon Mall VGC gave a 'Not Approved' when trying to get a $499 MO today at a Publix in Winter Park. I later tried lower amounts at 3 more in Orlando and got the same computer rejection.

Last edited by Skink; Apr 4, 2022 at 5:54 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:33 am

Skink ...

Yes ... thanks for posting. Same thing happened in my area (Tallahassee). All of the customer service areas say the same thing -- and my Simon Mall VGC would not work -- even tried lower amounts -- even as low as $300. Winn-Dixie still works if you have any in your area. One odd thing --- I went to buy groceries at Publix and the VGC worked for groceries ... so I believe it has been hard-coded not to accept Simon Mall GCards (or maybe Metabank). I am working to liquidate the ones that I have by other means --- but at some point I am going to try other cards (Vanilla) to see if MS is dead at Publix or not. Let me know if you hear of anything that works. Good luck my MS friend!

Marathonjack
Skink likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta DM
Costco better watch out.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Marathonjack
Skink ...

Yes ... thanks for posting. Same thing happened in my area (Tallahassee). All of the customer service areas say the same thing -- and my Simon Mall VGC would not work -- even tried lower amounts -- even as low as $300. Winn-Dixie still works if you have any in your area. One odd thing --- I went to buy groceries at Publix and the VGC worked for groceries ... so I believe it has been hard-coded not to accept Simon Mall GCards (or maybe Metabank). I am working to liquidate the ones that I have by other means --- but at some point I am going to try other cards (Vanilla) to see if MS is dead at Publix or not. Let me know if you hear of anything that works. Good luck my MS friend!

Marathonjack
Perhaps the cap is much lower, to allow for most grocery purchases? Maybe $99 ala Walmart?
Skink likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Things aren't looking good for Publix. Blackhawk Visa gebits rejected in Alabama.

andyandy
Skink likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
Things aren't looking good for Publix. Blackhawk Visa gebits rejected in Alabama.

andyandy

Finding the same from Mobile to Birmingham. What is strange is that self checkout doesn't work either consistently. I was able to buy one for $495 but took multiple swipes....... weird.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:24 am

Allamerathlete ...

Wow ... you could buy one via self-check-out? Unfortunately Publix around here don't have self-check-out. That is strange. Does anyone know any other kinds of gift cards that DO still work at Publix? [e.g., giftcardmall, giftcards.com, vanilla.com]?

Jack
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:11 pm

In my state (FL) I've seen no evidence that Publix treats some prepaid cards differently from others. A good number of stores implemented a hard block on all prepaid (no-chip) cards for payment of MO's. Some stores have cashier-enforced blocks. In stores with NO blocks, I've never had a valid card rejected.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:37 pm
jk2

So, no luck anymore with Simon VGCs in Publix? If so, that is a huge bummer...
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
... In stores with NO blocks, I've never had a valid card rejected.
Apparently I've written too soon and need to revise. Older Meta prepaids (e.g. with exp. year '24) do not work in my area Publix either. They can be unloaded at W-D though. My earlier comment is only for recently made cards with exp year of '29 or '30.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:55 am

Lol. Even the Grocery Everywhere Metas are blocked at Publix now for MO. And they have an expiration of 2030. Looks like Publix is drying up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.