Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money Orders at Publix

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
My $1000 MB VGC was declined for a MO at Kroger.

We will just need to see if Publix has become another grocer where purchasing MOs with MB gift cards is restricted at the register.

Will await further DPs if they exist.
more stores / retailers placed restrictions on MB's
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Skink
The majority of Publix stores in my area allow a gebit to be swiped for a money order. Today the computer said, "Overdraft not allowed" with a $200 Metabank prepaid Visa gift card.
Thanks for the DP. Because various flavors of $200 prepaid meta's worked differently in the past, it would be helpful to also include its BIN and/or description (e.g. Everywhere type, fixed value silver, etc...)
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Thanks for the DP. Because various flavors of $200 prepaid meta's worked differently in the past, it would be helpful to also include its BIN and/or description (e.g. Everywhere type, fixed value silver, etc...)
435880 fixed value silver (either from Staples or OD/OM). I tested it with an online purchase just now and it worked fine. I'm really hoping the young cashier made an error. The latest Staples sale on them starts in a couple of days and I'll try again then (with fingers crossed).
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:05 am
sow

simon 1k worked fine at Publix earlier this week.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by sow
simon 1k worked fine at Publix earlier this week.
From what I have read upstream, the problem with Publix isn't with the register rejecting the card, it is the cashier rejecting the customer's use of the card

As long as you can find a compliant Publix, it does not appear to be a problem with the gebit you use.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:35 am

... the problem with Publix isn't with the register rejecting the card, it is the cashier rejecting the customer's use of the card As long as you can find a compliant Publix, it does not appear to be a problem with the gebit you use.
I interpret Post 44 as a system response, not cashier rejecting a specific payment card.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:31 pm

I interpret Post 44 as a system response, not cashier rejecting a specific payment card.
Yet post #49 said just the opposite.

There are plenty of posts indicating that the customer service person is the blocker in the purchase of MOs.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:25 pm
sow

There are plenty of posts indicating that the customer service person is the blocker in the purchase of MOs.
i quoted MaxVO’s post which stated rejection, and asked for bin numbers, which is associated with troubleshooting system errors. System errors have become more of a concern as BHN wants to stop gebit for MO.

it’s true though, the Publix thread is never about system problems, only people. That’s what my experience has shown as well. Not possible to do gcs at any reasonable scale unless they have your name printed on them.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:00 pm

No, you can't use Post 49 to say anything about cashier blocking MO sales.
I could help you with DPs from my personal experiences, but it's already a known issue and not exactly newsworthy. I sure hope that Post 44 issue was just a fluke.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:22 am

No, you can't use Post 49 to say anything about cashier blocking MO sales.
I could help you with DPs from my personal experiences, but it's already a known issue and not exactly newsworthy. I sure hope that Post 44 issue was just a fluke.
Whatever the cause of the denial of service, I doubt that I will be trying to buy MOs at Publix with a GC in the near or distant future
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:44 pm

435880 fixed value silver (either from Staples or OD/OM). I tested it with an online purchase just now and it worked fine. I'm really hoping the young cashier made an error. The latest Staples sale on them starts in a couple of days and I'll try again then (with fingers crossed).
Picked up a fresh batch of fixed value silver VGCs from Staples today with the same BIN as the one that was rejected by the cash register/computer at Publix. This time they worked at Publix to purchase a MO no problem.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Picked up a fresh batch of fixed value silver VGCs from Staples today with the same BIN as the one that was rejected by the cash register/computer at Publix. This time they worked at Publix to purchase a MO no problem.
did you only use 1 $200 for say a $199 MO or were you able to use more then 1 card for a larger MO?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by craz
did you only use 1 $200 for say a $199 MO or were you able to use more then 1 card for a larger MO?
Yes, I used a $200 VGC for a $199 MO (since they charge 99 cents). I've never been comfortable with using multiple cards for a larger MO. It would save me money and time if I did though.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:58 am
Suspended

Yes, I used a $200 VGC for a $199 MO (since they charge 99 cents). I've never been comfortable with using multiple cards for a larger MO. It would save me money and time if I did though.
Thx, was hoping you used more then 1 card. For me I would venture a try if I had 500s or 1000s to unload = 1 swipe. although for my uses it would be viable 1 MO @ 199, just the time to go thru 40 - 60 cards doesnt make sense. Then having to deposit that many vs 1/2 if 2 cards could be used. But definitely having to dep so many MOs isnt what Im willing to do, its 1 thing if they were 499s and not 199s
Skink likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:29 pm

I am in Atlanta near many Publixs. Today 4 of my 6 usually succesful stores rejected me. I asked several and they said they were recently old to enforce this rule. But the 2 others obviously did not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.