Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money Orders at Publix

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:01 am

Is publix , ok for liquidation of simon 1000 cards with name on it ?

or did they made it to chip only cards ?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:03 am

in South FL, all winn dixie / publix were starting showing notice that id is needed for MO. So stopped going there , now walmart is also gone.

So very difficult to liquidate grocery gebits
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:40 pm

I've never had a problem as long as I stay with one swipe, so I guess it's YMMV. One of the CSRs figured out the game and asked me abou it. I explained it. She said, "cool".
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by drchristow
I've never had a problem as long as I stay with one swipe, so I guess it's YMMV. One of the CSRs figured out the game and asked me abou it. I explained it. She said, "cool".
1st time went to publix for last 2 months, said need a MO 495$, cashier said need see my ID and debit card, caught me off guard, but i showed my ID and real card, then swiped the OVGC when it's time to pay for the 495.99. She thanked me and mentioned check ID/card is for my protection, lol. All went well but i don't go there much due to max value of MO is 500.
jawa4life likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:45 am
jk2

Yesterday, I was caught off guard in Publix as well: I was asked to show my card after I swiped and transaction was approved. He did check the last 4 numbers on the receipt. Of course, my Metabank cad has huge GC on it and it was not allowed. So, what he did he issued a credit back on that VGC and I had to pay again using different card.

Now, my original card is empty and it's been almost 12 hours and no credit back. My past experience (in WMT), that if everything OK, then money are available immediately.

Am I screwed?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jk2
Yesterday, I was caught off guard in Publix as well: I was asked to show my card after I swiped and transaction was approved. He did check the last 4 numbers on the receipt. Of course, my Metabank cad has huge GC on it and it was not allowed. So, what he did he issued a credit back on that VGC and I had to pay again using different card.

Now, my original card is empty and it's been almost 12 hours and no credit back. My past experience (in WMT), that if everything OK, then money are available immediately.

Am I screwed?

Did you check the real DC to see if the funds were deducted?

Awhile ago I was carded after I swiped as well, but as I was talking I put the GC into my wallet and pulled out an expired T-Mobile DC. I swiped the T-M DC which of cause didnt work but low and behold he hands me the MO seems it took my GC for payment afterall.

I found with WM that as long as the csr didnt complete the transaction on their end before it was known that they cant print any MOs that Ca$h had to be given back and it wasnt possible to put the funds back on the card. If thats what happened with you , then youd have to go back to the store and speak to the mgr for a cash refund, go back with proof showing your GC was wiped clean at that store as well as your DC used
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:29 am
jk2

Originally Posted by craz
Did you check the real DC to see if the funds were deducted?

Awhile ago I was carded after I swiped as well, but as I was talking I put the GC into my wallet and pulled out an expired T-Mobile DC. I swiped the T-M DC which of cause didnt work but low and behold he hands me the MO seems it took my GC for payment afterall.

I found with WM that as long as the csr didnt complete the transaction on their end before it was known that they cant print any MOs that Ca$h had to be given back and it wasnt possible to put the funds back on the card. If thats what happened with you , then youd have to go back to the store and speak to the mgr for a cash refund, go back with proof showing your GC was wiped clean at that store as well as your DC used
In Publix, they can print MO even before you paid for it - the system does not connect to cashier terminal, like in WMT.

When CSR found out I used different card, he made a refund (with a check issued) to my gift card. Then I swiped my new card (with my name on it) and paid again. So, I do have a check that shows a refund for MO back to VGC. I just hope I don't need to use it, because talking to manager would probably mean burning this location at the end.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by jk2
I just hope I don't need to use it, because talking to manager would probably mean burning this location at the end.
Pretty good chance that this site is already burned.

When the CSR is checking the receipt to match DC used to buy a MO vs what DC you handed them, that, to me, is a burned site.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:19 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by radonc1
Pretty good chance that this site is already burned.

When the CSR is checking the receipt to match DC used to buy a MO vs what DC you handed them, that, to me, is a burned site.
yes, it was unexpected. usually, they check before swiping. or sometimes, don't ask at all.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jk2

Am I screwed?
Probably not. I had a similar issue a while back at the Post Office where they took my payment but then could not find the MO paper to put in the machine. Anyway, once the debit transaction completes like this, it takes a few days to be put back on your card. It is not the same as WM where the transaction fails / cancels before the drain the money.

Any "refund" to a debit card takes a few days.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:54 am
jk2

Originally Posted by JohnFromAtlanta
Probably not. I had a similar issue a while back at the Post Office where they took my payment but then could not find the MO paper to put in the machine. Anyway, once the debit transaction completes like this, it takes a few days to be put back on your card. It is not the same as WM where the transaction fails / cancels before the drain the money.

Any "refund" to a debit card takes a few days.
Yes, after 6 days money are back on the card.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:45 am

It's tough sledding at Publix these days, though possible. I went around to about a dozen different publix stores in SE Florida over the past week. Most asked for ID and to see the debit card, at which point I just said, "have a nice day" and walked away. One didn't ask for ID, but once I swiped the young kid behind the counter told me it had to be a chip card, called the manager over and it didn't work out. I was still able to complete the transaction at three of them, though I am concerned about all three options. One said to me that I can't use a gebit after the MO printed, so I figure that store normally won't be an option. At another one, the service desk was pretty busy doing multiple things and wasn't really paying attention. It feel like I slipped through the cracks, though I will assuredly try that store again. The final location that worked is my one white whale that I've never had an issue with. However, I was denied for the first time at the store this morning. The employee didn't check my ID, but when she noticed I swiped a gift card she immediately canceled the transaction.

So, things are looking pretty grim. I think the key is to slowly keep trying places that don't automatically ask to see your ID. Maybe it's just me, but I figure that those stores have implemented a system set up by the management that is likely to be enforced consistently. However, the stores that don't automatically ask to see ID might still have opportunities. In truth, I hate doing the MO thing and at this point it seems like a waste of time for the purpose of mass producing points given the effort. That said, myself and P2 signed up for a bunch of CC's recently with all the great SUB offers out there, so we've had to purchase GC's to meet the spend. I'm going to keep trying to get MO's when I can, but we can eventually spend the cards down organically if we need to.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:23 am
Suspended

With now both WM and Pub no longer viable options, I guess I will have to hit the pool and beach when Im in MIA. Its been years since I actually did R&R when in MIA
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:43 pm

Just read on reddit 2 people in Florida came across a few stores that had chip only terminals, no ability to swipe. If so, then this is very bad news.

although I'm wondering: how can POS terminals have no magnetic stripe? sometimes when the chip cant be read, i'm told to use the swipe for regular purchases.

Last edited by bailey911; Jan 24, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:09 pm

Last month my go-to Central FL Publix told me game over using gebits.

I waited til today to test this at a different Publix. I was not asked for ID nor did they ask to look at the card like the other 3 Publix did last month. MO was for $197.96, first error was wrong pin, same for second attempt, although I knew the pin was correct. The clerk reset the system, then the third time the error message was Not Authorized. In a few days I'll go back again to a 4th Pub. to retry this card (Visa MEH-TAH) for under $100 but am not hopeful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.