Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by wangxinqing
Hi guys, I want to share my MS story today. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, I did some MS using my AmEx cards (BCP + BCE) for the 6%/3% bonus. During the pandemic, I stopped MS because I really want to be safe. Just recently, I planned to do some MS again to try it out. So, today, I visited some grocery stores and tried MS.

1. I fist stopped by a new Kroger. This Kroger is close to my place and opened pretty recently. I thought that because this store is new, they may not pay much attention to MS and it would be easy for me to by money orders. I first used the self-checkout line and checked three VGCs (the $20 to $500 ones sold by Kroger). I then visited the customer service center to buy one money for $998.00. After swiping the first card, the guy asked to see my card. When he saw that my card was not a normal bank debit card, he rejected to sell me a money order.

2. I went to a second Kroger, which is within 5 min driving distance from the first Kroger. I first purchased a money order with the VGCs for an amount of $998.00. The process was smooth: No single question asked, and I just swiped my two VGCs and left. It seemed that the guy did not care which cards I was using for the money order. I then did some grocery shopping in the second Kroger. After that, I went back to the customer center and asked the guy whether I could purchase another money order. He agreed, and I purchased my second money order for the amount of $495.00 using my VGC (one VGC used). I finally purchased another VGC from the second Kroger and left.

3. I visited Walmart. There I successfully purchased a money order for the amount of $499.00 using the VGC that purchased from the second Kroger. The process was simple and easy (no question asked). After purchasing the money order, I picked up a VGC from Walmart (the VGC is issued by Green Dot) and asked the lady whether I could buy one. She agreed, and I successfully purchased one VGC for the amount of $500.00 using my Chase Freedom (for the 5% category bonus at Walmart).

4. I walked to a third Kroger, which is just next door to the Walmart, and successfully purchased a money order with the Green Dot VGC that I just bought from Walmart.

5. I went back to the Walmart and purchased another Green Dot VGC for the amount of $500.00. It was fairly easy.

6. I went to a second Walmart and tried to purchase a money order using the Green Dot VGC. I tried two times, both failed. After swiping the VGC, I got Not Authorized messages. Anyway, the lady working at the customer service center was nice and allowed to try my card two times. It seemed she really did not care which card I was use--she just mentioned to me that It Has To Be Cash or Debit.

7. I stopped by a forth Kroger and tried to purchased a money order using the Green Dot VGC. I was denied here completely. They said that it had to be a card with my name on it and the card had to come from a bank/

8. I went to my local Meijer trying to purchase a money order using the Green Dot VGC. I was successful. No question asked, and I just purchased a money order for $490.00 using the Green Dot VGC. That was good.

Conclusion: In my area (Ohio), Kroger, Walmart, and Meijer all can sell you a money order when you use a VGC, but the clerks sometimes refuse to do so.

That's quite a bit of running around during a pandemic.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I had to visit some stored to purchase things for my family. Walmart and Kroger are the places that I need to go to. The only place that I went to for the sole purpose of purchasing a money order is Meijer. I agree that I might go to too many places, and it might be dangerous during the pandemic. I will try to reduce that in the future. Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by wangxinqing
Thanks for the reply. I had to visit some stored to purchase things for my family. Walmart and Kroger are the places that I need to go to. The only place that I went to for the sole purpose of purchasing a money order is Meijer. I agree that I might go to too many places, and it might be dangerous during the pandemic. I will try to reduce that in the future. Thanks.
Just be safe. We are all chomping at the bit to get back to our hobby.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Long live Ohio!
Btw all prepaid cards sold in Walmart have 2-4 hr activation delay. Hence your failure at DP 6. It's best to let those Green Dots age overnight, so that you don't have to watch the clock.
Thanks. I read some postings online (maybe just within this forum) and learned that the Green Dot VGC needs one hour to activate. That explains why I tried the Green Dot VGC in a Walmart but was declined (declined by the machine, while the lady there was willing to help). Now, I have a question: Why for the first Green Dot VGC that I purchased in Walmart was good for purchasing a money order in Kroger almost immediately? Is Kroger running a different system so that we do not need to wait for the card activation?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
Thanks for the datapoints but this is essentially true anywhere.
Thanks for the reply. I heard that in certain places, you are NOT YMMV but are always rejected for purchasing a money order using a VGC.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
Thanks again. I will reduce that. But I always wear masks and protection glasses whenever I went out. It is better to be safe than sorry. Right now, I normally go out shopping every three or four weeks (sometimes, every two weeks).
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:53 pm

many are still going daily
cruisr likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
many are still going daily
Ugh! As I’ve said before, there are a lot of invincible people out there.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Ugh! As I’ve said before, there are a lot of invincible people out there.
Probably because the "un-invincible" won't be able to post to a thread
TTT103 and cruisr like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:33 pm

Which Walmart is easy to buy Money Order in California Orange County

Which Walmart is easy to buy Money Order in California, Rowland Heights/Brea/Diamond Bar or Orange County cities like Wesminster/Fountain Valley
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mmach
Which Walmart is easy to buy Money Order in California, Rowland Heights/Brea/Diamond Bar or Orange County cities like Wesminster/Fountain Valley
I am from the opposite coast, but given how densely populated the area is I imagine the answer might be 'none'...and if someone does know of a good location they'll probably not share the info on a public forum.
cruisr, danpeake and MaxVO like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Mmach
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I am from the opposite coast, but given how densely populated the area is I imagine the answer might be 'none'...and if someone does know of a good location they'll probably not share the info on a public forum.
Some unsolicited advice to mmach

The best way to figure out where to buy MOs is to enter a particular store and ask if you can do so with debit cards. The reason DiMAn0684 responded was that store policy changes depending on multiple factors including CSRs, managers and abuse by customers doing MS. In certain areas, it has become difficult to buy a MO due to such abuse and therefore MO compliant stores are secreted by users.

Even in stores which are friendly, overuse can be destructive. I have no problems where I live finding places to buy MOs. However,I have learned from experience not to overuse them. (I had one place years ago which I used way too much and it shut me down).

So get into your car and start driving and asking. When you hit a positive, don't abuse it. Good luck in your MSing
cruisr likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:37 am

$3K or $4K?

I am curious to know if you guys are buying (w/Simon $1K VGCs) $3K with ID or buying $4K with ID and SSN in one transaction.
What do you consider the pros and cons to each?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:39 pm

WoW! My walmarts only allow $2k at a time. This requires ID and I do it to liquidate faster. I usually get $2k mo's at 3 different Walmarts on the same day. Havent had any problems doing this. Don't want to push it any further tho, so the rest I get for $1k no ID.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Randomguy1278
WoW! My walmarts only allow $2k at a time. This requires ID and I do it to liquidate faster. I usually get $2k mo's at 3 different Walmarts on the same day. Havent had any problems doing this. Don't want to push it any further tho, so the rest I get for $1k no ID.
That’s interesting that they will allow 2 swipes of your debit cards but not allow the 4 swipe maximum rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.