Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gift cards "Valid only in the United States" - Not always true

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I have successfully used a Vanilla and Metabank Five Back card for online transactions in €. No extra currency conversion fee, either.

Never tried any gift cards outside the us for in-person transactions to see if they'd work, however.

This might not lead anywhere big for MS, but it might be worth looking deeper.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:11 am

I've used Vanilla GC in Canada.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
I have successfully used a Vanilla and Metabank Five Back card for online transactions in €. No extra currency conversion fee, either.

Never tried any gift cards outside the us for in-person transactions to see if they'd work, however.

This might not lead anywhere big for MS, but it might be worth looking deeper.
I suspect that while the purchase was in Euros, the actual transaction took place electronically in the USA, i.e. the IP address was in the US, thereby making it a US transaction.
Now if someone reports that they went to France and bought in a shop an item with a Visa or MC GC, then I would agree that perhaps these cards have a wider geographic scope than officially reported.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1
I suspect that while the purchase was in Euros, the actual transaction took place electronically in the USA, i.e. the IP address was in the US, thereby making it a US transaction.
Now if someone reports that they went to France and bought in a shop an item with a Visa or MC GC, then I would agree that perhaps these cards have a wider geographic scope than officially reported.
I would think the location of the payment processor plays more of a role than the IP address of the purchaser. I guess I can check that with a VPN at some point soon.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

US Bank Mastercard worked as well.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:06 pm

For a time, this was the only way to deposit money into online poker websites while to government was cracking down on bank account funding to these sites.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:18 pm
Suspended

I tried to use in Italy but no dice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.