Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running Points by Buying Cryptocurrencies

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Running Points by Buying Cryptocurrencies

Fair warning, this type of mileage run involves risk that is tied to the volatility of the cryptocurrency you choose to run the strategy with. I have confirmed now with Barclays, Chase, and Bank of America credit cards that purchases on coinbase.com count towards minimum spend. Right now the lowest fee currency available on coinbase is ether, which has been averaging $0.30 - $0.50 per transaction (this is regardless of the total transaction amount) for the past 1-2 weeks; ether transactions clear within a few minutes. There are two mileage run strategies I have employed to run up minimum spends:

(1) Simply buy ether through Coinbase (https://www.coinbase.com/join/), and turn around and sell it immediately. Ethereum is the 3rd highest market cap cryptocurrency, so the price is relatively stable over the course of a few minutes.

(2) Buy ether through Coinbase, and then buy an undervalued cryptocurrency and hold for a week before cashing out. Monitor the markets; you have a break-even margin that is equal to how you value the minimum spend reward. In my case, I am bullish on $XRB raiblocks, which has been consistently going up through volatile markets over the last month.

(1) is the relatively safer option. You will lose roughly 3% of your transaction total to coinbase fees for processing a credit card transaction (eg lose $90 on a $3000 transaction for ether). (2) is for someone who has some insights on the market and wants to potentially offset the 3% credit card fee loss with gains in the underlying asset.

Coinbase is one of the two major US exchanges for fiat to cryptocurrency (gemini is the other major competitor). Both fiat and cryptocurrency holdings on coinbase are insured.

edit: the reason I suggest using ether is that bitcoin transaction fees are at $20. Both BTC and LTC transactions take closer to 10-30 minutes to clear which means there is a greater chance the price may swing against you before you can sell. That said, coinbase may allow instant buys and sells if it matches you with someone else holding BTC or LTC on exchange. I have not tried, so I do not know.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 1, 2018 at 8:29 pm Reason: to clarify why I encourage using ether over BTC or LTC
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by brendandubs
Fair warning, this type of mileage run involves risk that is tied to the volatility of the cryptocurrency you choose to run the strategy with. I have confirmed now with Barclays, Chase, and Bank of America credit cards that purchases on coinbase.com count towards minimum spend. Right now the lowest fee currency available on coinbase is ether, which has been averaging $0.30 - $0.50 per transaction (this is regardless of the total transaction amount) for the past 1-2 weeks; ether transactions clear within a few minutes. There are two mileage run strategies I have employed to run up minimum spends:

(1) Simply buy ether through Coinbase (https://www.coinbase.com/join/), and turn around and sell it immediately. Ethereum is the 3rd highest market cap cryptocurrency, so the price is relatively stable over the course of a few minutes.

(2) Buy ether through Coinbase, and then buy an undervalued cryptocurrency and hold for a week before cashing out. Monitor the markets; you have a break-even margin that is equal to how you value the minimum spend reward. In my case, I am bullish on $XRB raiblocks, which has been consistently going up through volatile markets over the last month.

(1) is the relatively safer option. You will lose roughly 3% of your transaction total to coinbase fees for processing a credit card transaction (eg lose $90 on a $3000 transaction for ether). (2) is for someone who has some insights on the market and wants to potentially offset the 3% credit card fee loss with gains in the underlying asset.

Coinbase is one of the two major US exchanges for fiat to cryptocurrency (gemini is the other major competitor). Both fiat and cryptocurrency holdings on coinbase are insured.

edit: the reason I suggest using ether is that bitcoin transaction fees are at $20. Both BTC and LTC transactions take closer to 10-30 minutes to clear which means there is a greater chance the price may swing against you before you can sell. That said, coinbase may allow instant buys and sells if it matches you with someone else holding BTC or LTC on exchange. I have not tried, so I do not know.

"In my case, I am bullish on $XRB raiblocks, which has been consistently going up through volatile markets over the last month."

Lol. Raiblocks went from being valued at $.10 (a dime) to more than $20 as of earlier today. That's right, a 200x increase. Oh, the timespan? Something like 3 weeks.

Stop trying to pump and dump on FT.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 1, 2018 at 8:30 pm Reason: edit quote
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good MS if you are risk taker.

Bitcoin for CC Churn?

MS with Bitcoin
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am

I like this strategy, but for me, it's way too much of a risk. But I think the fact that all of the fees are involved steers me away more than anything.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by temporarilypoor
"In my case, I am bullish on $XRB raiblocks, which has been consistently going up through volatile markets over the last month."

Lol. Raiblocks went from being valued at $.10 (a dime) to more than $20 as of earlier today. That's right, a 200x increase. Oh, the timespan? Something like 3 weeks.

Stop trying to pump and dump on FT.
No need to buy XRB. I believe in it and will share my enthusiasm for that particular protocol. This post mainly advocates how to run up minimum spend using ether.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
I'm active in crypto day trading - I really wouldnt count on crypto for Manufactured spending.

If you are willing to do so Manufactured spending in something volatile, dont do Crypto.

Stick to Gold, even then gold is volatile.

But at least you end up with precious metals vs a digital asset.

My .02
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by brendandubs
... and then buy an undervalued cryptocurrency and hold for a week before cashing out. .
OMG is that all there is to it? I knew I was missing something.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:57 am

Looks like Coinbase says 3.99% for CC txn? Why not just PayPal someone you trust for <3% fees and get them to cut you a check?
daprophecy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:45 pm

Hey, guys. I've been investing in cryptocurrency for 3 years and I want to advise you something good. When you buy a bitcoin or something else I'm 100% sure that you will make transactions, and I want you to know that you need to use crypto mixers, this is the sites which will hide all data about you while you will be making transactions, which is very important. If you don't know what to do with them, I advise you to read this article, there you can find how to use bitcoin mixer. This article helped me to understand everything so you will be able to figure everything out too.

Last edited by JWatsn89; Aug 16, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by JWatsn89
I'm sorry for posting here but is it worth investing in cryptocurrencies in 2020? Is it relevant nowadays?
It's essentially gambling (if you have no use for it). High risk, high reward. A lot of poker players/sites use BTC, and some businesses take it, but it's just a gamble if you're looking to invest. Look at a stock chart of BTC over the last year. It's break even, but went as low as $5k and as high as $12k. Potential to make money if you're lucky, but also the potential to lose a lot.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
I'm sorry for posting here but is it worth investing in cryptocurrencies in 2020? Is it relevant nowadays?
It's a risky business. One way to make some money is to keep up to date with development on coins, learn what can trigger a bull run and be in the right place at the right time.

But certainly not worth just ploughing money randomly into a coin hoping it will appreciate in value.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:28 am

experts suggest bitcoin will be $250k by the end of 2021...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.