Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx MS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

AmEx MS

When I'm logged in to my AmEX account I see there is offer that states earn additional 4X on fuel purchases. That means I will get total of 6X for every dollar spent. Does anyone know you can buy VGCs at 711 and they will qualify as fuel purchases?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Gitangali
When I'm logged in to my AmEX account I see there is offer that states earn additional 4X on fuel purchases. That means I will get total of 6X for every dollar spent. Does anyone know you can buy VGCs at 711 and they will qualify as fuel purchases?
Move to Gas station thread
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Does anyone
Buy one, try one, and report. Your fellow man will thank you.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:50 am

It works at my local -4, but that doesn't mean it will work at yours. Test and report.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, what do the T&Cs say? Do they say gas station purchases, or only fuel at the pump?

Second, while some 7-11s post as gas, others post as grocery. So without testing your particular local 7-11, you can't guess which way it'll post.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
First, what do the T&Cs say? Do they say gas station purchases, or only fuel at the pump?

Second, while some 7-11s post as gas, others post as grocery. So without testing your particular local 7-11, you can't guess which way it'll post.
US gas station purchases. I made a purchase and charge is pending but it says Category: Transportation - Fuel

I don't know how soon you can find out whether it is going to earn 6X or not. The offer terms say, the points will be credited within 90 days after the offer expires on 09/30
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

You know how people tell you AmEx is not MS friendly, they have reward abuse team in place, they crawl your rewards etc etc; I have MS ed on 4-5 AE cards. Again I haven't run crazy amount on those cards, just enough to meet the spending requirement and get the sign on bonuses. Things have changed in last few months so YMMV.

May be the instances of crawl back and how the account was flagged was through people running crazy amount. I know some people go crazy even for 2% reward and load thousands of dollars. If anyone has story to tell, would like to know otherwise. I have canceled most of my cards with AE.

Chatting with rep, I asked how long the cards stays on file, she said 7 years. So it may be possible to rinse and repeat after 7 years, even if the terms say once a lifetime.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:00 am

your post is worthless but happy holidays!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:26 am

I have canceled most of my cards with AE.
IME, AXP cards are valuable to me because of the AXP sync offers that I get in almost all my cards. I don't keep the ones with AF, but those without, I even add AU cards whenever they offer to give rewards.

Chatting with rep, I asked how long the cards stays on file, she said 7 years. So it may be possible to rinse and repeat after 7 years, even if the terms say once a lifetime.[/QUOTE]In the MS world, a lot of things can happen in a month, what more in 7 years? I just take advantage of opportunities as they come.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
your post is worthless but happy holidays!
Could you care to explain, why you think it is worthless? You remind me of bhelski type short berserk posts.

MB,

The motivation for closing the cards was, after receiving bonuses, I wanted my account to be out of sight, out of mind. The thought is once it is closed and they come up with new criterion, hopefully the account won't even show up for their analysis. I hate when people crawl back your hard earned money.

Last edited by Gitangali; Nov 24, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:12 am

The motivation for closing the cards was, after receiving bonuses, I wanted my account to be out of sight, out of mind. The thought is once it is closed and they come up with new criterion, hopefully the account won't even show up for their analysis. I hate when people crawl back your hard earned money.
I understood your point but I prefer not to speculate on sign up bonuses that may or may not be there in 7 yrs while I lose opportunities like the $25/$250 credits on BBY that is in all our reward cards which more than makes up for any speculative sign up bonuses. For the same reason, I ignore the 5/24 ch4se rule and apply for sign up bonuses that I'm interested hoping to get approved. Two yrs is a long time to wait and by then, the rules may have been totally overhauled, not counting the fact that MS as we know it may no longer be feasible to the majority.

As always, to each his own on what works for us : )
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US gas station purchases. I made a purchase and charge is pending but it says Category: Transportation - Fuel

I don't know how soon you can find out whether it is going to earn 6X or not. The offer terms say, the points will be credited within 90 days after the offer expires on 09/30
Well, it's months later (and you're back in this thread but talking about other stuff). Did you end up earning 6X or not?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I understood your point but I prefer not to speculate on sign up bonuses that may or may not be there in 7 yrs while I lose opportunities like the $25/$250 credits on BBY that is in all our reward cards which more than makes up for any speculative sign up bonuses. For the same reason, I ignore the 5/24 ch4se rule and apply for sign up bonuses that I'm interested hoping to get approved. Two yrs is a long time to wait and by then, the rules may have been totally overhauled, not counting the fact that MS as we know it may no longer be feasible to the majority.

As always, to each his own on what works for us : )
I did not close the accounts so that I could get bonuses again after 7 years. At the time, I did not even know about this 7 years, whether you will get bonus again after 7 years is a big IF. Who knows it may truly be once a life time bonus. They may somehow keep lifetime history. Who knows? It is something I will try after 7 years based on the information I have. The primary reason for closing the account was so it is off the chart for any crawl backs. The more time passes after account closure, the less chances of card company can crawl back is my logic. The 2nd reason is, I hardly go after small sync offers.

I didn't want to gamble 80K points from business account and another 75K points from gas purchases. The cards are buried for heavenly pleasure. I was able to to get 1.3cents/mile.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, it's months later (and you're back in this thread but talking about other stuff). Did you end up earning 6X or not?
I did and do you want to me to open new thread of each and everything? Am I not talking about AmEx MS here? come on people, think a little.

Last edited by Gitangali; Nov 25, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did and do you want to me to open new thread of each and everything? Am I not talking about AmEx MS here? come on people, think a little.
No, I didn't mean that you should up another thread, just that it seemed strange that you cam back to this thread but never (until I asked) answered the question it started with. I never read the thread when it was originally going in July, and then I read it all yesterday, and from that standpoint it looks like a bunch of posts waiting for an answer, then silence for months, and then the thread woken up this week by the OP but still without an answer. That's all.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not close the accounts so that I could get bonuses again after 7 years. At the time, I did not even know about this 7 years, whether you will get bonus again after 7 years is a big IF. Who knows it may truly be once a life time bonus. They may somehow keep lifetime history. Who knows? It is something I will try after 7 years based on the information I have.
The people in the Amex forum in the thread about it know. Amex has only kept about 7 years of history to date. You can call up Amex and ask about what cards you've had before, and they can't tell you about cards you had more than about 7 years ago, because they've purged that from their records. But they can list all the card you had in the past 7 or so years. Try it yourself!

It's all discussed (with datapoints) in this thread (in the Amex forum):

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.