Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Coding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:53 am
Original Poster

AMEX Coding

I just noticed that my local gas station GetGo (affiliated with super market Giant Eagle) is coding for Service Station instead of gas. I spent ~$5000 there last month and just realized I'm only getting 1% instead of 5% cash back with the old blue card. Am I SOL? It has always coded as gas for Visa/MC/Discover. I know that certain stations (sams club, costco) don't code as gas but this is a legitimate gas station sometimes miles away from their grocery store sister. Thanks for any advice. I'm nervous to contact AMEX since it's a high amount of bonus spend on 5x and I did buy gift cards most of the time.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by nuclearnova
I just noticed that my local gas station GetGo (affiliated with super market Giant Eagle) is coding for Service Station instead of gas. I spent ~$5000 there last month and just realized I'm only getting 1% instead of 5% cash back with the old blue card. Am I SOL? It has always coded as gas for Visa/MC/Discover. I know that certain stations (sams club, costco) don't code as gas but this is a legitimate gas station sometimes miles away from their grocery store sister. Thanks for any advice. I'm nervous to contact AMEX since it's a high amount of bonus spend on 5x and I did buy gift cards most of the time.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Amex only codes as gas when actually used at the pump.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:28 am

Yes, you are likely SOL. Cut your losses and move on.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:58 am

What were you buying there? Their GC selection was worthless the last time I checked.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Bummer, thanks for the info. Oh well, it at least makes a good portion of my spend not only 5x, maybe thats why I've had this card so long without being shut down like some, and at least I got 1% not 0%...

Canyoncar, when they run their double fuel perks its a pretty good deal for someone like me who uses lots of diesel and gas, I usually get home depot, amazon, tractor supply, and occasionally $200 visa gift cards when certain locations have them in stock.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Amex only codes as gas when actually used at the pump.
Incorrect - buying inside 7-11s with gas stations also code as gas.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by tontod
Incorrect - buying inside 7-11s with gas stations also code as gas.
Depends, the 7-11s near me code as Grocery, even though they have gas stations.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
How do you determine how a charge is coded?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

On your statement under DESCRIPTION for the transaction
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Depends, the 7-11s near me code as Grocery, even though they have gas stations.
When I can't pay at the pump, and have to go I to the store to authorize fuel pumping, a large majority have 2 CC terminals, one for gas and the other for everything else.

On the flip side, when I charge home heating oil deliveries, that gets coded as gas; which I am happy about as each transaction is around $2500.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
There's no point discussing it with Amex - nothing good can come from that (although bad things could). It codes the way it's gonna code, and nothing you say to Amex (or Visa, for that matter) will change the way it codes. And that's not just for gas stations, it's how all payment systems work. Just because Visa/MC codes a place one way does NOT mean Amex codes the same store the same way, they often do not IME.

Move on.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:56 pm

Amex specifically states GetGo is excluded from any gas rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.