Purchasing VGC with Amex Card

Reply

Old Apr 19, 17, 6:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18
Purchasing VGC with Amex Card

Does anyone know the best place to purchase a Visa gift card online using an American Express card? I used to use Giftcards.com but I can't add a new Amex card and I'm blocked from GCM, doh!
shenvatele is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:34 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NY
Programs: MR, UR, UA
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by shenvatele View Post
Does anyone know the best place to purchase a Visa gift card online using an American Express card? I used to use Giftcards.com but I can't add a new Amex card and I'm blocked from GCM, doh!
On GC.com, you can use an AMEX card on the checkout page. Moreover checking "save card to profile" allows the card to be saved.
sponge_gto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 17, 3:42 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Metro ATL
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by sponge_gto View Post
On GC.com, you can use an AMEX card on the checkout page. Moreover checking "save card to profile" allows the card to be saved.
I might be wrong but I don't think one can use Amex at GC.com if not grandfathered.

I haven't tried at GCM.

On the other hand I used to purchase VGC with AGC at WM and they would auto-drain.

Last edited by touristtrap; Apr 19, 17 at 3:43 pm Reason: clarification
touristtrap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 17, 5:15 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LEESBURG, VA, USA
Posts: 219
Purchasing VGC with AMEX

Originally Posted by touristtrap View Post
I might be wrong but I don't think one can use Amex at GC.com if not grandfathered.

I haven't tried at GCM.

On the other hand I used to purchase VGC with AGC at WM and they would auto-drain.

Just last week i made a purchase on giftcards.com using SPG Amex for the first time. No issues.
takhliq1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 17, 7:26 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18
Yup, I was able to successfully add a new AMEX card for payment with GC.com at the checkout page. I too thought this wasn't an option anymore.
shenvatele is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 17, 10:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Metro ATL
Posts: 285
.. and you can read Venmo thread as well.
touristtrap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 18, 12:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7
AMex not working for me at GC.com
WD41 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 18, 8:49 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 22,121
Originally Posted by shenvatele View Post
Does anyone know the best place to purchase a Visa gift card online using an American Express card? I used to use Giftcards.com but I can't add a new Amex card and I'm blocked from GCM, doh!
Do you just want to buy a gift card, or do you also want to earn points on that purchase?

Just because you can buy a Visa gift card online with an Amex doesn't mean Amex will give you points for it. Amex is on the prowl for finding sites that sell Visa gift cards and denying points for purchases on those sites.

Per the Amex T&Cs, you're not supposed get points for "cash equivalent" things like Visa gift cards at all, so you have to "hide" it from Amex if you want to be sure you'll earn points on it.

I don't keep up with all of it (if I need to buy a Visa gift card, I do it the super-safe way, ie, at a grocery store with some randomly-priced groceries bought at the same time), but Amex has been denying points lately at least for giftcards.com and Simon' Mall.
jtav559 likes this.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 18, 2:39 pm
  #9  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SMF/FAT/LAX/Wherever the beer is coldest
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Pre✓, Amazon Super Secret Prime Unobtanium
Posts: 442
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post

I don't keep up with all of it (if I need to buy a Visa gift card, I do it the super-safe way, ie, at a grocery store with some randomly-priced groceries bought at the same time), but Amex has been denying points lately at least for giftcards.com and Simon' Mall.
Yep, I stop into my local grocery and get a deli sandwich, a diet coke, and a grip of VGC.
jtav559 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread