FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-onwards.html)

Gitangali Feb 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

I have purchased VGCs using VISA, MC at Walmart, never bought VGC using Amex card. I suppose you should be able to use Amex to purchase VGC but before I apply for a Amex card, I wanted to check. Can someone confirm?

rambo Feb 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 27915055)
I have purchased VGCs using VISA, MC at Walmart, never bought VGC using Amex card. I suppose you should be able to use Amex to purchase VGC but before I apply for a Amex card, I wanted to check. Can someone confirm?

yes, it works.

Gitangali Feb 18, 2017 6:49 pm

AmEx Terms : Qualifying purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of any cash equivalents.

Need to complete spending on one of AmEx card. Hopefully the VGC purchases at WM won't fall into above category? because the WM doesn't tag it as gift card, unlike if you were to purchase VGC from GCM etc. Can someone verify?

Superorb Feb 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 27928096)
AmEx Terms : Qualifying purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of any cash equivalents.

Need to complete spending on one of AmEx card. Hopefully the VGC purchases at WM won't fall into above category? because the WM doesn't tag it as gift card, unlike if you were to purchase VGC from GCM etc. Can someone verify?

Amex isn't stupid, and it doesn't take a genius to recognize a bunch of $504.95 or similar transactions at WM. I would not chance anything with Amex as they have already shown that they will claw back the bonus if you MS to get it. Regular spend after you've already gotten the bonus without MS seems to be good to go.

frank_10b Feb 19, 2017 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 27928493)
Amex isn't stupid, and it doesn't take a genius to recognize a bunch of $504.95 or similar transactions at WM. I would not chance anything with Amex as they have already shown that they will claw back the bonus if you MS to get it. Regular spend after you've already gotten the bonus without MS seems to be good to go.

can AMEX or citi or chase get a copy of the merchant receipt? Do they look at that?

Mamibear Feb 19, 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b (Post 27929688)
can AMEX or citi or chase get a copy of the merchant receipt? Do they look at that?

yes, they can if they want to.

I went through FR back in 2014 and the ax supervisor went straight to the point to ask me "why have you been buying GCs at the drugstore?" It was the holiday season so I said I'm giving them as gifts and some, I use for online purchases so I don't have to input my CC info. I submitted my 4506-T and in a few business days, my account was back to normal. In a week, they even increased my CL w/o requesting.I have not altered my pattern of activity after that.

Coldmode Feb 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b (Post 27929688)

Yes, they can see what you bought. Most (all? I haven't seen it anywhere else) of the evidence of them going back through your transaction history has been linked to people who have gotten Platinum cards through leaked application links.

lumangoy Feb 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Its amazing that even supervisors dont know that credit card now works and it's not limited to 1 per transaction!

I'm glad they let me at least try it and see if it got declined or not.

yugi Apr 29, 2017 8:49 am

Is there a limit of buying GCs at Walmart? I recently tried to buy 4x$500 with Hyatt card, and was declined. No fraud alert from Chase. Right away, I bought 2x$500 with Alaska, and no problem. As I remember I bought 4x$500 in the past with no problem.

Superorb Apr 29, 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 28244793)
Is there a limit of buying GCs at Walmart? I recently tried to buy 4x$500 with Hyatt card, and was declined. No fraud alert from Chase. Right away, I bought 2x$500 with Alaska, and no problem. As I remember I bought 4x$500 in the past with no problem.

Did Chase decline the charge or did WM deny you? What printed out on the receipt when it wouldn't go through?

yugi Apr 29, 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 28245172)
Did Chase decline the charge or did WM deny you? What printed out on the receipt when it wouldn't go through?

Small receipt was printed, and cashier said that another payment method required. I don't see anything on Chase side.

Superorb Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 28245307)
Small receipt was printed, and cashier said that another payment method required. I don't see anything on Chase side.

Did you talk to Chase yet to see if they declined it? What did the slip that was printed say?

Mamibear Apr 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 28244793)

there is no limit that I know of or have not yet encountered. I've bought up to 8 GDGCs used Citi in one transaction without issues.

I had an issue with using CSP though, payment was declined and they didn't send me txt to clear fraud alert so I just swiped another CC and dealt with Chase later. They called me twenty five minutes later :rolleyes: (I've already drained the GCs) to check if it was me who was paying xxxx amount and I can go ahead then to pay with my CSP. Rep was apologetic for the inconvinience and long delay; I wanted to scream but managed to be calm and say, NO thanks, I just used another CC.

yugi Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 28245574)
Did you talk to Chase yet to see if they declined it? What did the slip that was printed say?

Called Chase, and it was a fraud alert. New account, blocked immediately. Took me 3 tries and 3 calls to Chase to finally able to buy something. Bought 1 VGC, will need to buy 3 more.

wrinkle7 Apr 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 28248826)
Called Chase, and it was a fraud alert. New account, blocked immediately. Took me 3 tries and 3 calls to Chase to finally able to buy something. Bought 1 VGC, will need to buy 3 more.

Welcome! To the blacklist from Chase! You will receive your notice very soon, well done.