FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-onwards.html)

Mamibear Jul 28, 2018 8:01 am

yes, you can

alert21 Jul 30, 2018 7:47 am

Hi, I was able to purchase GD VGC at my walmart today, but couldn't liquidate for MO at walmart. Then I called up the number behind the back of the VGC and it says card number and lat 3 digits are not a valid combination. Does that mean that my card it not yet active? How do I check if it not active?

danhouston Jul 30, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by alert21 (Post 30027498)
Hi, I was able to purchase GD VGC at my walmart today, but couldn't liquidate for MO at walmart. Then I called up the number behind the back of the VGC and it says card number and lat 3 digits are not a valid combination. Does that mean that my card it not yet active? How do I check if it not active?

if viewing previous comments, need to wait at least 30 min to 1 hr after pur

alert21 Jul 30, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks, I just checked the previous comments.

jk2 Jul 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 30011499)
there is another poster who said GD refused to refund one card because it wasn't registered; they gave refund for one card that was registered.

if all else fail, file complaint via CFPB; best to have a police report plus receipt(s) and packages as part of your proof. Good luck!

PS: what city/region was this WM that you bought these GDVGCs? this will help those who are traveling to avoid such store where cards have been possibly compromised.

It was me. And finally, the issue is resolved. I submitted CFPB complaint, they rerouted my complaint to Federal Reserve and last week I received a call from Greendot corporate, who said they will issue a refund for the other 2 cards. I didn't receive a check yet, but I'm confident.

pdxuser Jul 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Cash or debit only for VGCs at two Walmarts in Portland, OR. This is clearly part of the same crackdown that's hitting multi-card MOs. Walmart is tired of gifting us CC rewards by losing money on transaction fees on low-margin financial instruments.

So which gift cards should we turn to now? I've avoided online GCs because I don't want them to get lost in the mail. Are there any that have security measures like activating them with an authentication code after they've been received? Also, why are people using MCGCs despite the extra complication?

Travelz Jul 31, 2018 3:07 pm

Check out the MS topics for ideas. The most popular are at the top, but there are others that might be worth reading.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-spending-719/

danhouston Aug 1, 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 30020598)
still worked at my neighbor store; didn't try at super as wasn't otw; since wanting to quickly liquidate to a prepaid acct to make sure that that it can be drained that way, just now found out that the fund/$ wasn't immediately available...had to wait 1 full hr. coming back to WM to successfully loaded to the prepaid acct; any rate, not sure when this will end at my location...

dead! yday tried it again at the same store...spitting out paper showing cash/debit only

asot550 Aug 1, 2018 12:54 pm

Can anyone provide dp on whether the hard coded cash/debit on green dot vgc also extends to vanilla vgc? I've purchased vanilla vgc post register update, but it wasn't at my normal store so I don't know if the store I purchased the vanilla card was just behind on its register update.

danhouston Aug 1, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by asot550 (Post 30036354)
Can anyone provide dp on whether the hard coded cash/debit on green dot vgc also extends to vanilla vgc? I've purchased vanilla vgc post register update, but it wasn't at my normal store so I don't know if the store I purchased the vanilla card was just behind on its register update.

did it work for u at super or ns store?

tried both gd & vani; spit out the same paper...all's dead at my store yday

asot550 Aug 1, 2018 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 30036636)
did it work for u at super or ns store?

tried both gd & vani; spit out the same paper...all's dead at my store yday

Regular walmart.

danhouston Aug 1, 2018 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by asot550 (Post 30036874)
Regular walmart.

asot, so ur WM still take CCs for VGCs?
any other folks r still able to buy GD at WM? if so, i may need to venture to different stores & test out...

VJCflyer Aug 2, 2018 6:50 am

Nope, still dead here both super WM and NM.

asot550 Aug 2, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 30037734)
asot, so ur WM still take CCs for VGCs?
any other folks r still able to buy GD at WM? if so, i may need to venture to different stores & test out...

My usual walmart sc did not allow gdot vgc by cc as of 7/26. Previously no issues. I went to try a vanilla vgc yesterday but they were all out. I may try a vanilla mcgc today though just to complete the dp on that particular store. I liquidated my first vanilla mcgc yesterday so I'm more comfortable buying them now.

I was outside my normal area last Friday and happened on a walmart (non-sc, non-nm. Just plain "walmart) so I tried to buy a vanilla vgc there with cc and was successful. Unfortunately I've never been to that store before so I'm not sure if you are able to buy gdot vgc there.

I don't personaly have a complete dp (both vanilla and gdot) at any store yet, though I've seen reports that the no cc ban extends to all gift cards once the store receives the update.

asot550 Aug 2, 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by asot550 (Post 30039157)
My usual walmart sc did not allow gdot vgc by cc as of 7/26. Previously no issues. I went to try a vanilla vgc yesterday but they were all out. I may try a vanilla mcgc today though just to complete the dp on that particular store. I liquidated my first vanilla mcgc yesterday so I'm more comfortable buying them now.

I was outside my normal area last Friday and happened on a walmart (non-sc, non-nm. Just plain "walmart) so I tried to buy a vanilla vgc there with cc and was successful. Unfortunately I've never been to that store before so I'm not sure if you are able to buy gdot vgc there.

I don't personaly have a complete dp (both vanilla and gdot) at any store yet, though I've seen reports that the no cc ban extends to all gift cards once the store receives the update.

Just tried to purchase a vanilla mcgc at my usual store and register was hard coded. This confirms the dp that once a store gets the register update for gdot it extends to all forms of gebit.