Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
Seriously; I've been pretty stoked the Wiki at the top of this thread had omitted the GreenDot cards at WM, especially since they're $1 cheaper per GC than the USB VGCs at my local Kroger.
WM unfortunately does not give out free gas or 2x 3x 4.5x etc on grocery. Nice for the q4 freedom or an occasional min spend req as it is truly one stop shopping. But, at krogs you can ring up yourself .
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:30 pm

Seriously; I've been pretty stoked the Wiki at the top of this thread had omitted the GreenDot cards at WM, especially since they're $1 cheaper per GC than the USB VGCs at my local Kroger.
Right? Isn't it great that nobody in this thread is talking about GDs and bringing more attention to them? Oh wait.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I went to WM to liquidate stack of 5Bs and the guy said visa gift cards is acceptable form of payment.
of payment for what?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
of payment for what?
for MOs
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by moops380
WM unfortunately does not give out free gas or 2x 3x 4.5x etc on grocery. Nice for the q4 freedom or an occasional min spend req as it is truly one stop shopping. But, at krogs you can ring up yourself .

Any Kroger "siblings" in Chicagoland to but these 2.3.4. 5 X cards? Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by moops380
My WMNM codes as grocery for my 3% cashback card and my current 5% WF card, so I'm happy as a clam to shop there.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:57 pm

My WMNM codes as grocery for my 3% cashback card and my current 5% WF card, so I'm happy as a clam to shop there.
That is amazing for OBC, what region?

Also amazing for a card like asiana visa.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA gold
Good luck with folks at WMNM. They are basically PITA, at least those in my area.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:20 pm

My WMNM use to be great for MOs before they closed. Usually no lines.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:44 pm

So you say that GDOT VISA cards at WM can purchase and work for MO?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Good luck with folks at WMNM. They are basically PITA, at least those in my area.
which area?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:01 am

Denied at a WM in Carrolton, TX. Worker said they used to allow 2 GCs but now they don't allow any.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Superorb
Denied at a WM in Carrolton, TX. Worker said they used to allow 2 GCs but now they don't allow any.
I always thought the Metroplex was getting harder and harder. I only buy MO in that area (Irving) close to DFW Airport using one Gebbit for one MO of less than $500 ($490) and then drain remaining balance at Krogy for groceries.

Miami Area has been a NO go zone for me for more than 2 years (means CSRs even). But my Middle of Nowhere Mid West Wally s are a beauty. Like today, my friend the CSR allowed me to Swipe one $500 and two $100 VGCs while paying the remaining balance of a $1,000 USD MO with my normal Debit Card (The $100s got me 800 Fuel Points on Krogy ) and she doesn't even want to look at my Gebbits because she just does not care. As long as the machine says Approved!!! that is all she needs to walk towards the MO machine and take the printed MO.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:22 pm

got error message today when buying MOs on second transaction: Money Gram limit exceeded
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Probably my last post on this for some time:

I got a call back from Wally that they could not locate the money with the reference numbers and authorization codes; this came from the central office. At this point, I'm not bothering them anymore as I don't want to burn the site. (Honestly, the Wally folks could not have been nicer.)

So, I have not started the dispute process with GC.com I guess they first have to send me a form to fill out that will take 1-2 biz days. Then, it will take 45-90 days for an answer.

I just redeemed a slug of points to cover the loss for now.
Update. Dispute process just settled. Per Blackhawk, Walmart credited back both cards. I have confirmed both cards were reloaded and are active. Wonder what I should do with them tonight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.