Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most MS friendly bank?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
If they didn't confiscate your points, it would be no brainer to apply for this card and keep MSing till you can't any more. I hate it when you lose points worth 1K-2K.
Wouldn't you be able to cash the points as you go?

Also, not sure confiscating rewards for the time frame they let you use the card would hold up for them at CPFB (while CFPB still around).
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:04 am

My checking acct with WF is new, they posted the $250 sign-up bonus plus $10 statement credit for using WF wallet immediately after meeting the ten DC transactions so I'll wait n see if they're MO friendly before I close the account. There is no ETF on their fee schedule for the account I signed up for so I'll ask my friends if they ditched this right after getting their bonus.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Wouldn't you be able to cash the points as you go?

Also, not sure confiscating rewards for the time frame they let you use the card would hold up for them at CPFB (while CFPB still around).
WF is unlike CaOne where the latter posts your earnings soon as the transaction posts so you can choose to use it as statement credit immediately. With the former, rewards posts sometime after statement cut date so that if you're shutdown before statement cuts, your expected rewards that have not posted will be forfeited, much like the way CitiDC does their CBs.

I have yet to read someone succeeded in getting their CBs that haven't posted from any CC after submitting complaint to CFPB. There may be some but didn't report it.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:43 am

There is a bank in Central Florida that has changed names 3x in the past few years. Ive put through $600k in money orders, and my wife has put through half that without any issues. Separate accounts. In fact, I have never deposited anything except money orders in this account, and they are all either $499.11 or $499.25.

I think the key is small"er" banks where key decision makers are local and as long as they know what the game is and that it is legal, all is good.

In an effort to offer them true business (since the accounts are "free accounts"), I have a car loan with them and one CD.

I keep all my personal accounts at a different bank, just in case the .... did ever hit the fan and the accounts got frozen or something.

Last edited by Lappie; Feb 16, 2017 at 8:44 am Reason: Forgot a )
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Agreed. I opened a WF account a year ago for this purpose and have done over 600k of MO deposits there without any issues. MO deposits, CC payments, and 10x $.50 Amazon reloads each month (to avoid maintenance fee) are my only activities on the account.

USAA checking is great too if you are eligible for membership. Free checks, $15/month ATM fee rebates, you get your paycheck a day early with DD, and they (usually) make mobile deposits instantly available.
You have deposited USPS MOs at WF in volume? Just concerned that banks look at USPS more strictly than WM MOs.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by guywhocan
You have deposited USPS MOs at WF in volume? Just concerned that banks look at USPS more strictly than WM MOs.
Why would they differentiate?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
For those of you opening an account at credit union, did they do a hard pull for checking or savings account?

And do you do anything other than MO? Did you establish that would be the case or did you just do it without comment?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear

I have yet to read someone succeeded in getting their CBs that haven't posted from any CC after submitting complaint to CFPB. There may be some but didn't report it.
And there is risk that if you file a complaint with CFPB, it is very unlikely to get the points back and at the same time you are in a hole when you apply for some other WF card. Is this a possibility? I'm just guessing but no definitive basis to suggest such thing. If there is no problem, I would like to file a complaint. There is nothing to lose, best case you can get points back.

I was shut down 2 months ago, not sure if you can still file a complaint.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
And there is risk that if you file a complaint with CFPB, it is very unlikely to get the points back and at the same time you are in a hole when you apply for some other WF card. Is this a possibility? I'm just guessing but no definitive basis to suggest such thing. If there is no problem, I would like to file a complaint. There is nothing to lose, best case you can get points back.

I was shut down 2 months ago, not sure if you can still file a complaint.
IINM, you posted then that you got a warning from WF, right? If you're referring to CBs that you were not able to redeem when they decided to shut you down, while you can file a complaint against them, I'm pretty sure they can say you were given a warning but you went on with what you were doing that goes against their T&C. In essence, you took your chance and lost. But you're free to file that complaint if it's only 60 days ago, just be prepared for the result which will likely not be in your favor.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
For those of you opening an account at credit union, did they do a hard pull for checking or savings account?

And do you do anything other than MO? Did you establish that would be the case or did you just do it without comment?
At my two favorite CUs, they only did chexsys on me since I opted out of overdraft protection. I know other CUs do HP on C/A even when opting out of overdraft protection like AgFed so it is best to ask before one submits an application to open C/A.

With the two CUs (accepts only local residents), I did only MO deposits and some beer rebates and I was grilled by their Risk Management Group the first month when they noticed my deposits. I just told them about miles and points and if they didn't want to do business with me, I was prepared for a shutdown. Fortunately, they said it was okay and from then on, I've never had a problem with my MO deposits.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, United, AA, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
At my two favorite CUs, they only did chexsys on me since I opted out of overdraft protection. I know other CUs do HP on C/A even when opting out of overdraft protection like AgFed so it is best to ask before one submits an application to open C/A.

With the two CUs (accepts only local residents), I did only MO deposits and some beer rebates and I was grilled by their Risk Management Group the first month when they noticed my deposits. I just told them about miles and points and if they didn't want to do business with me, I was prepared for a shutdown. Fortunately, they said it was okay and from then on, I've never had a problem with my MO deposits.
A good general rule to follow is to always decline overdraft protection since it is in essence, a line of credit they are extending you. 99% of all LOC require a credit inquiry. Again, an over simplification, but good is generally true. Some banks (Schwab) will do a HP just to open an account, so due diligence is still warranted.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:07 pm

They're all friendly, til the day they become unfriendly.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:25 am

IINM, you posted then that you got a warning from WF, right? If you're referring to CBs that you were not able to redeem when they decided to shut you down, while you can file a complaint against them, I'm pretty sure they can say you were given a warning but you went on with what you were doing that goes against their T&C. In essence, you took your chance and lost. But you're free to file that complaint if it's only 60 days ago, just be prepared for the result which will likely not be in your favor.
By the time I'm eligible to receive 5X again, WF would have completely cannibalized this program, therefore I went ahead and filed a complaint. What do I got to lose? If there was a chance of rinse and repeat in future, I would not have taken the chance of going in WF's "naughty list".

I enjoy your posts!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Why would they differentiate?
Most tellers don't know the rules, but WM MO is cash, and USPS is a gov't check.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TyroneSchulase
Most tellers don't know the rules, but WM MO is cash, and USPS is a gov't check.
Wouldn't this make usps MO better (from bank perspective)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.