Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to MS on new credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Best way to MS on new credit card?

I just signed up for a new credit card and want to know what's the easiest way to meet the minimum and pay off cc? There are so many posts out there but I wanted to know the best option for 2017. I'm getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Also, I don't live near a Walmart.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:37 pm

It is not possible to provide specific advice to such an open-ended question since we have no way of knowing your specific situation. Start with the two sticky posts at the top of this page, and then come back here with specific questions.

Your question is like asking us "What is the best book for me to read?"
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:45 pm

CSR is just $4k over 3 months. I think almost anyone who would be approved for a CSR could figure out a way to charge $1333.34 every month for 3 consecutive months.

I wouldn't bother with any esoteric manufactured spending moves if that's all I needed to do. I'd just charge everything possible for 3 months - groceries, gas, entertainment, cell phone, utilities, home/car insurance premiums. If it can be charged, charge it. If you're still a little short at the end of 3 months maybe spend the rest buying an Amazon gift card or something you'd spend the money on eventually anyway.

$4000 in 3 months is a pretty low bar to get over.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by tbradnc
CSR is just $4k over 3 months. I think almost anyone who would be approved for a CSR could figure out a way to charge $1333.34 every month for 3 consecutive months.

I wouldn't bother with any esoteric manufactured spending moves if that's all I needed to do. I'd just charge everything possible for 3 months - groceries, gas, entertainment, cell phone, utilities, home/car insurance premiums. If it can be charged, charge it. If you're still a little short at the end of 3 months maybe spend the rest buying an Amazon gift card or something you'd spend the money on eventually anyway.

$4000 in 3 months is a pretty low bar to get over.
Not when we don't live in the US any longer.

Perhaps prepaying taxes?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: United
Have you considered a lemonade stand?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:20 pm

As far as public mainstream methods, using a portal to go to GCM to purchase VGC and then MO at wherever you can. Probably use the reserve for a month (especially on dining 3x UR) to get some spend established before you go charging thousands at GCM as the fraud dept at banks now can deny large initial purchases.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
As far as public mainstream methods, using a portal to go to GCM to purchase VGC and then MO at wherever you can. Probably use the reserve for a month (especially on dining 3x UR) to get some spend established before you go charging thousands at GCM as the fraud dept at banks now can deny large initial purchases.
Can the VGC at GCM or Giftcards.com be used for MO at the PO?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:32 pm

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelhackr
I just signed up for a new credit card and want to know what's the easiest way to meet the minimum and pay off cc? There are so many posts out there but I wanted to know the best option for 2017. I'm getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Also, I don't live near a Walmart.
Buy OV VGC's from CVS, you live near a CVS right? Then go to the PO, you live near a PO right? This post seems a little trolling though, since the OP hasn't responded and their name is "The Travel Hacker". Apologies if your just a slow learner or something, but you joined here before me.

Last edited by joeaseer; Jan 5, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I just love when people put the cart before the horse. Quick quick, apply for a CC then figure out how you are going to meet the requirements for the min spend.

Some of the questions in this thread are very troll like.

Does no one take any personal responsibility anymore such as, oh, I don't know, reading at the very least some wikis in this forum?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
If you look at the OPs posts, he / she has a blog and one of the articles was about making minimum spend. http://www.thetravelhackr.org/ways-t...minimum-spend/

Why do they need our help??????? I think they should be making suggestions to us. Also note he / she only posts less than 1.5 times per month.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
I just love when people put the cart before the horse. Quick quick, apply for a CC then figure out how you are going to meet the requirements for the min spend.

Some of the questions in this thread are very troll like.

Does no one take any personal responsibility anymore such as, oh, I don't know, reading at the very least some wikis in this forum?
I for one really, really want to get the card, but living overseas now I am really struggling to come up with a way to meet the $4k spend. Groceries I can get to probably $700-800. Not easy to monetize spend here.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:33 am

Stop responding to this troll
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:11 am

PSA to newbies contemplating to apply for 1001 CCs and think they can do it via MS. Assuming you've read the basics and have an idea on the mechanics, make sure you have plans on how to meet your min spend PRIOR to applying and getting approved. It'll be too late if you find out later, you can't purchase VGCs where you're at or for whatever reasons GCM/GCdcom refuses to take your online orders. Once you're approved for a CC, the 90 or 120 day clock starts ticking so make sure you know what you're doing.

How do you make plans?
a. explore YOUR area for MS opportunities. Do not base success of others in THEIR area and think what works for them will work for you.
b. check all your bills and see if you can prepay ahead. do this ONLY if you can afford to pay by CC due date or else, you'll fall into the debt trap. Successful MSing is the ability to pay all CC charges you've incurred in FULL while raking in all rewards. If you're paying interest to CC, no matter small interest it is, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

When in doubt on anything you've read....DON'T proceed or else you may just fall into a debt trap you can't get out of later. Happy New Year ya'll!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, *A Gold, AA Plat
Use plastiq

you mentioned you are overseas. I am too. I used plastiq to pay some bills in the states. You have to pay the 2.5% but worth it. I paid mortgage and also some kids tuition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.