FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-2018-a.html)

radonc1 Nov 29, 2018 9:35 am

Originally Posted by horseymen (Post 30478613)
They've actually done a pretty good job - it will get base points for the most part - but it won't count toward diamond on Hilton, or Delta MQMs or whatever they're called, or bonus spend.

So I am a bit confused.
I can understand how Amex can control the awarding bonus points based on a Hilton card spend since it is Amex that is giving the bonus but what I cannot understand is how Amex controls whether Hilton awards status for spend :confused:
Amex does control money distribution so it makes sense that they could say yea or nay to your spending categories to qualify for the bonus awards.

However, Hilton makes the determination as to whether $40K spend a year on a specific Hilton branded Amex card makes you an elite. Amex has nothing to do with that. All Amex does is report to Hilton that you spent "X" dollars a month using that Hilton card.

So I can't see how Amex would affect the awarding of status based on spend. Rather, it would be Hilton's responsibility to use the break-out of spending categories to make that determination. To date, the only break-out for my Hilton card has been for stays at a Hilton property.

Needless to say, Hilton has given me my points and status for my Amex Hilton spend without any deductions (at least for this year ;))

horseymen Nov 29, 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 30479811)
So I am a bit confused.
I can understand how Amex can control the awarding bonus points based on a Hilton card spend since it is Amex that is giving the bonus but what I cannot understand is how Amex controls whether Hilton awards status for spend :confused:
Amex does control money distribution so it makes sense that they could say yea or nay to your spending categories to qualify for the bonus awards.

However, Hilton makes the determination as to whether $40K spend a year on a specific Hilton branded Amex card makes you an elite. Amex has nothing to do with that. All Amex does is report to Hilton that you spent "X" dollars a month using that Hilton card.

So I can't see how Amex would affect the awarding of status based on spend. Rather, it would be Hilton's responsibility to use the break-out of spending categories to make that determination. To date, the only break-out for my Hilton card has been for stays at a Hilton property.

Needless to say, Hilton has given me my points and status for my Amex Hilton spend without any deductions (at least for this year ;))

It's actually done on the AMEX side. AMEX will send to Hilton, Delta and the others if you've earned the status, and then Hilton, Delta and the other will bequeath that status. It's managed at the AMEX end. Keep using spend that is not disqualified for the bonuses, and you should be good.

thedealkiller Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Horseymen burning up the midnight oil on flyertalk......

horseymen Nov 29, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by thedealkiller (Post 30480740)
Horseymen burning up the midnight oil on flyertalk......

To quote Florida-Georgia Line, that's how we roll!

fishfly Nov 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Really liking the holiday vgc. Look exactly like my bank cards and has "gift" in small print.

Joshua Watson Nov 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Hey so does anyone know if the Simon gift card thing will still work Walmarts in my area don't allow you to buy vgc with credit so its a toss up of vanilla from CVS and Simon cards also is there just certain cards this doesnt work with? im new to the whole thing can someone help?

Joshua Watson Nov 29, 2018 4:57 pm

also im in college 22 only 2 credit cards ive never used before drive uber on the weeknds made about 40k a year from it what cards should i apply for that i can get approved for

FlightNurse Nov 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua Watson (Post 30481544)
also im in college 22 only 2 credit cards ive never used before drive uber on the weeknds made about 40k a year from it what cards should i apply for that i can get approved for

start with CC that is market to college student

krazykanuck Dec 1, 2018 1:23 am

Originally Posted by fishfly (Post 30481498)
Really liking the holiday vgc. Look exactly like my bank cards and has "gift" in small print.

Which one? They showed me a whole menu today but went with the normal silver.

Also I was surprised that my mall had a pre-filled out form for me. The CSR was like have you bought from us before, lets see if you have a form. I said I didn't think I do, but sure, lets see. Sure enough apparently I'm a frequent enough buyer that I got the pre-filled form without ever asking for it. The most interesting aspect for me is if you are vetted enough to get a pre-filled form you have a $10k/day limit while the walk up forms are $5k/day (which is a recent change from my post a couple months ago when we were at some random amount).

GundamWing01 Dec 2, 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 30486521)
Which one? They showed me a whole menu today but went with the normal silver.

Also I was surprised that my mall had a pre-filled out form for me. The CSR was like have you bought from us before, lets see if you have a form. I said I didn't think I do, but sure, lets see. Sure enough apparently I'm a frequent enough buyer that I got the pre-filled form without ever asking for it. The most interesting aspect for me is if you are vetted enough to get a pre-filled form you have a $10k/day limit while the walk up forms are $5k/day (which is a recent change from my post a couple months ago when we were at some random amount).

hmm. maybe thats specific to IAH. cuz here in LAX, its always 10k with walk-up form. but ive also heard other locations have different limits.

GundamWing01 Dec 2, 2018 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 (Post 30469873)
I've also heard it will be 12/10 to 12/24

who here is in SFO? wanted to know how legit this is:
https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outle...t-card-6080701

wont be around SFO for awhile, but this deal may change my mind.

horseymen Dec 3, 2018 3:40 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 (Post 30492584)
who here is in SFO? wanted to know how legit this is:
https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outle...t-card-6080701

wont be around SFO for awhile, but this deal may change my mind.

This is a national promo, so I'd say it's legit anywhere, Bay area or otherwise..

jtav559 Dec 3, 2018 8:29 am

I will head out there on my lunch hour to check it out!

bigshooter Dec 3, 2018 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by horseymen (Post 30493036)
This is a national promo, so I'd say it's legit anywhere, Bay area or otherwise..

Not a national promo, seems to be only San Francisco. Multiple reports of it not working in other areas. You can also change the URL to your specific Simon premium outlet location and it doesn't show up.

I went to my local Simon Premium Outlet yesterday and they hadn't heard of it although they have had multiple people ask about it.

GundamWing01 Dec 3, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jtav559 (Post 30493702)
I will head out there on my lunch hour to check it out!

so ur in the SFO area or SMF?

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30494790)
Not a national promo, seems to be only San Francisco. Multiple reports of it not working in other areas. You can also change the URL to your specific Simon premium outlet location and it doesn't show up.

I went to my local Simon Premium Outlet yesterday and they hadn't heard of it although they have had multiple people ask about it.

exactly. same here LAX.