Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
No.

It is obvious you didn't bother reading a single message in this thread.

I would implore the rest of the board to please stop spoon feeding and make this individual do at least the bare minimum of due diligence.
oh my god

I read almost all messages here but you have to be honest not everything is explained clearly

Once again

1) Are we paying a fee when buying onevanilla in CVS?

2) Is it better to buy the Simon 5B from staples.com or OD assuming they are both $300 gc?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by misterno
oh my god

I read almost all messages here but you have to be honest not everything is explained clearly

Once again

1) Are we paying a fee when buying onevanilla in CVS?

2) Is it better to buy the Simon 5B from staples.com or OD assuming they are both $300 gc?
have you read the CVS thread? Why would CVS not charge you a fee?

only you can judge what is 'better'.

what is better for me might not be better for you and vice versa.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
have you read the CVS thread? Why would CVS not charge you a fee?

only you can judge what is 'better'.

what is better for me might not be better for you and vice versa.
just came from OD

there were no fiveback cards

they only have style everywhere card $200 with $4.95 fee

Does it come with higher values also? My OD had only 200 version

so get this with your Chase ink get the miles

then go to CVS and get $200 onevanilla?

style everywhere did not say 5% on it BTW
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:56 am

just came from OD

yeah, go ahead if that's what you want to do!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by fletchbo
What was the transaction date posted at CVS, that did not automatically post your credits?

I have some transactions on 12/27, that have not posted yet, as of 12/30, today.

Did you call in?
FYI: I've had two lots (from a total of 2) of FB cards which didn't auto post after a week. Second lot I called in just last night. All CVS transactions were processed as debit.

On the first lot, I called in, generated a ticket and recd the CB 1-2 days later.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
yeah, go ahead if that's what you want to do!
I will try another OD and buy the FB card

That is what I want to do
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
I just started using the Five Back cards at CVS a week ago. I received my 5% back on 12/23/2016 purchases on 12/27, but still nothing on CVS purchases from 12/24 to 12/27. I thought I just needed to wait longer, but it looks like I just picked the wrong time to get into this... usually it posts quicker according to people here. Is CVS trying to get out of paying?
Read back the posts even just a few above yours. So you know what to do in situation like that.

CVS has nothing to do with the process of generating the rebate.

Can newbies spend a few minutes just to read the thread when all the common issues have been mentioned, addressed, resolved, zillion times?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
5B are just kept in the rack whereas other visa cards are kept with the customer service.
That might be true at your Simon Mall. It is not true at my Simon Mall.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
That might be true at your Simon Mall. It is not true at my Simon Mall.
So it might be true at one of the mall where "the person" bought and 10 of his card are breached.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:46 pm

just came from OD

the five back cards people are using/talking about here are from Simon mall. Simon mall is selling 500 $ 5b cards for 3.95 fee. Now using these cards to buy OV from Cvs gets us 5% cb on 500 = 25$ .

CVS OV has fee 4.95 / 5.95 $ for 500 $ cards. So using Simon mall 5b cards u can either buy 495 + 4.95 = 499.95 or 500+4.95=504.95$.

Once the rebate is posted on 5b card , reload ur amazon balance with that.

So net profit is 25$ - 3.95-4.95/5.95 = 16/15 $ per 500$ card.

If u do it with smaller value 5b cards like 200 / 100 $ do the math and check whether it is profitable or not for u.

Check grocery stores for smaller value 200$

I think 500 $ 5b are only available in simon as of now.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
So it might be true at one of the mall where "the person" bought and 10 of his card are breached.
Again, the breach has nothing to do with the meg strip - that issue has been looked over a month or more ago and examined. The test was posted back then either in the Simon thread or the 5B thread - the meg ONLY contains the UPC code - there is no info for the card number whatsoever.

If you are interested, go back to Nov or even earlier to find the brief discussion when the 5B was displayed on the outside.

It is the nature of how the card numbers are - look at the cards in your procession - you will find the first 3 groups of digits are identical - that leaves only very limited combination of the last 4 digits, therefore it is vulnerable for brute force attack.

I finally saw a new series of the 3rd group from my Simon - so they have depleted the inventory of the batch and now started another batch because the 3rd group of digits is now different from the previous purchases since late Oct! But then all 20 cards have the first 3 groups of digits the same...

That is where the breach could easily occur. Had nothing to do with Simon office or where the cards are displayed. It is a vulnerability in design.

Go look at your OV and see how the numbers are. The 3rd and 4th group of digits are unique to each card. Far more secured.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Read back the posts even just a few above yours. So you know what to do in situation like that.

CVS has nothing to do with the process of generating the rebate.

Can newbies spend a few minutes just to read the thread when all the common issues have been mentioned, addressed, resolved, zillion times?
I already read the whole thread prior to the post. Most were saying they called in to get a support ticket opened for their $25 to be credited manually. I thought this was a CVS-specific issue because my purchases at Staples from the same day on the same cards credited as INTELISPEND - EGIFT already, but the CVS purchases on these cards did not credit, nor did the CVS purchased on cards that were only used at CVS (rather than Staples + CVS) credit.

The dilemma is rather to call in about 26 different cards (I have a mix of $200 and $500 cards that are missing credits), which will take well over an hour, or to wait and see if the credits post in a few more days. Do you guys think waiting is dangerous? That is, do you think Blackhawk is in the process of changing policies and won't be honoring the 5% back later if I were to wait until after the new year to see if 5% shows up or call in if not?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:28 pm

this is scary, exp date is same on all of them the only difference is last 4 digits and CVV code and they have a website to check balance.
all you have to do is set last 4 digits and change CVV that has 999 possibilities.

Last edited by cashcyclone; Dec 30, 2016 at 2:35 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
If you are not ready (mentally and financially) to lose the fees you are paying to buy the cards, then this not for you.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
this is scary, exp date is same on all of them the only difference is last 4 digits and CVV code and they have a website to check balance.
all you have to do is set last 4 digits and change CVV that has 999 possibilities.
The final digit on a CC is a check digit and can be computed, it's really only 3 digits to guess in the number and 3 for cvv2.

This gives a search space of 10pow6, which is fairly large. Without the cvv2 needed, the search space is 10pow3 (1000 options) but would likely require guessing the magstripe cvv (different than the cvv2 written in cards), so still likely 10pow6. This is probably fairly easy for a criminal with the ability to do tons of test transactions. These cards are not the best in terms of security.

I always ask to get them from behind the counter and will not take them off the pegs. There is still a major problem insofar as buying 19 cards leaves a leftover card from the fresh packs behind the counter. If they put that card out, it would be frighteninglysimple for someone to purchase it and then have a shortcut into your sequence of cards.

Liquidate these things ASAP. I don't like holding onto them for more than a couple days if feasible.

This has been your daily dose of paranoia and FUD. Please feel free to heed or ignore this information. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming of repetitive questions that have been answered dozens of times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.