Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood AmEx

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Irka
The hotel I am looking at in Disney is $400-$500 per night (my family is a family of 6 so wee need the bigger rooms). But I would never pay that!
We just booked rooms for the WDW Swan for next year and working on getting enough points to pay for my son's honeymoon trip there next year. We should be able to get *most* of their ticket charges paid for with points too.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have. I am a self-appointed Disney expert. LOL!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:52 pm

I know that GC.com is known to ban people who purchase too many GC's at once due to fraud. I'd start out with purchasing one $500 VGC. I've had Amex not process the charge due to potential fraud so keep that in mind as well. Then I'd slowly increase it from there. As you read in the thread, GC.com has a limit on how many VGC you can purchase at once. I have been using GC.com for almost 2 years and currently purchase about $10k in VGC / month.

Next step would be to liquidate the VGC at Walmart by purchasing money orders. There's another thread in MS regarding purchasing money orders at Walmart. I suggest you read up on that as well.

Oh wow, Joe! That is a good thread, thanks for pointing me to it!! I'm actually very familiar with TCB, because I glitch so I've used them a lot. Great idea on using it to decrease the fees. So what I picked up from the thread is to use different personal info and CCs for my gift cards.com transactions. Once I buy say $1000 worth of VGCs what is my best bet? Turn around and purchase MOs? Or deposit them in lot a Bluebird type of account? Also, I haven't made any purchases but what do you mean start slow? $1000 per month?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Oh thank you!! Yes, I was thinking doing Swan or Dolphin bc of the points. But I don't think we would have access to Disney's meal plan if we stay there and use SPG, would we? So I figured we would stay at a different Sheraton resort that has bigger rooms and a kitchen. It's also closer to Universal, and I have points from work, that I can use on Universal tickets. What are your thoughts? I have 4 kids and would love to not have to cook. But I don't think we qualify for that meal plan option. Also, I went ahead and referred my DH to get SPG AmEx. So now we will have about 75000points to use. Any advice is welcome!!!!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I received your DM, however I am very limited on the number of messages and it won't let me send any today. We typically stay in a VRBO house that I found. It is 4 bedrooms, right outside Disney gates, has a pool and we pay $800 for the week. It's pretty good, but not as great as free point option. We usually go in January/February.
I guess I don't understand the whole MS with this SPG credit card concept. For me to do MS I would have to pay about $110 in fees (VGS activation, MO fees) to earn 10,000 points on this card. Which is one free night at this hotel of my choice. $110 in fees is pretty steep (and I am not even counting the time spent), when I can get a house for $800 for the whole week. Can you explain where I am going wrong on this? I haven't started MS yet, all my spending so far has been organic. But I am just confused and I feel like I am calculating this wrong?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Several dozen
MS spending is all organic as it is wholly based on recycling. But do we get an award for being the nation's top recyclers of paper and plastic - nooo!

...I haven't started MS yet, all my spending so far has been organic...
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Why don't you just get a Bluebird card then load directly to it from your SPG at Walmart ($5k/month), this would be the easiest way to MS. Also I would get Vanilla reloads from CVS ($5k/month) and load onto a Serve card as another easy way to MS. One last method would be to open Paypal account load Paypal My Cash cards into it and then drain back to your bank account ($4k/month). MS is easy, just have to ask.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenme1
Why don't you just get a Bluebird card then load directly to it from your SPG at Walmart ($5k/month), this would be the easiest way to MS. Also I would get Vanilla reloads from CVS ($5k/month) and load onto a Serve card as another easy way to MS. One last method would be to open Paypal account load Paypal My Cash cards into it and then drain back to your bank account ($4k/month). MS is easy, just have to ask.
That's awesome! Exactly the instructions I needed! So with Bluebird would I able to write checks? I'd like to be able to pay my mortgage/bills with it. Also, could you explain the PP cash card? Is it the same idea? I load it from my SPG and then I transfer it to my bank account? Thanks so much!!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
A word to the wise: FlyerTalk is a bit like the stock market. Don't believe everything you hear or read. Some rumors aren't true. Do your own careful research or you may get burned....
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:05 pm

OP,

I suggest you start here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1737819-new-manufactured-spending-start-here-2016-a.html

You need to read a lot.

See what is available in your area. MS is YMMV.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by kenme1
Irka, these methods are mostly dead. Or mostly dead in most areas of the USA. Or prone to die/get you shut down if you try them. Or inaccurate twists on what actually does work.

I'm not sure if Kenme1 is unaware or simply amusing him/herself by sending you on wild goose chases. I suggest that you ignore this particular post and go read the "new to MS" thread that you've been directed to in this and the mortgage thread.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

I guess I don't understand the whole MS with this SPG credit card concept. For me to do MS I would have to pay about $110 in fees (VGS activation, MO fees) to earn 10,000 points on this card. Which is one free night at this hotel of my choice. $110 in fees is pretty steep (and I am not even counting the time spent), when I can get a house for $800 for the whole week. Can you explain where I am going wrong on this? I haven't started MS yet, all my spending so far has been organic. But I am just confused and I feel like I am calculating this wrong?
You're not wrong at all. In fact, you're very savvy. Many of us only use MS in order to get the minimum spend done and get our sign up bonus. Otherwise, you have to carefully do the math exactly as you are to figure out whether it makes sense to continuing to put spend on the card in ways that have a fee associated with doing so. If you have found a house that is satisfying for a week for $800, personally I wouldn't put all the effort in to create sufficient points for a hotel stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.