Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Are gift cards ever denied as counting toward the sign up bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are gift cards ever denied as counting toward the sign up bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:12 pm

I signed up for 3 Amex cards the other day. All 3 of the accounts have an offer for no fee no shipping Amex GC in them. Does Amex count it's own GC purchases toward minimum spend? If so I will just wipe out the spend on all 3 cards in 1 shot.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by killerz298
I signed up for 3 Amex cards the other day. All 3 of the accounts have an offer for no fee no shipping Amex GC in them. Does Amex count it's own GC purchases toward minimum spend? If so I will just wipe out the spend on all 3 cards in 1 shot.
afaik, buying AGCs online are counted for min spend on @mex CCs.

just make sure the code you have includes both no fee and free shipping because each transaction takes only ONE code, most often either fee free OR free shipping, but not both. in the past, free shipping came from the free trial of premium shipping for 90 days.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by killerz298
How are you going to liquidate several K of Amex GC?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Coldmode
How are you going to liquidate several K of Amex GC?
buy vgc
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
afaik, buying AGCs online are counted for min spend on @mex CCs.

just make sure the code you have includes both no fee and free shipping because each transaction takes only ONE code, most often either fee free OR free shipping, but not both. in the past, free shipping came from the free trial of premium shipping for 90 days.
Are you sure?
I purchased AGC at their website in order to hit the spend limit, but then got a little upset after reading from @mex cc terms "Purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of any cash equivalents."
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by tobysc
Are you sure?
I purchased AGC at their website in order to hit the spend limit, but then got a little upset after reading from @mex cc terms "Purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of any cash equivalents."
Gift cards are not cash equivalents, they are a product.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Slytherin23
Gift cards are not cash equivalents, they are a product.
..... but they are "prepaid cards."
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobysc
Are you sure?
The language has always been there but in the past AMEX does not enforce it.

However the recent DPs show that should AMEX have any reason to audit your account it will identify prepaid cards and subtract them from the eligible spend. This has happened very prevailing on the infamous 100K offer but also have been reported on other Membership Reward earning cards. So far no such report on the co-branded cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.