Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bay Area MS Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Ahem, quit disparaging Texas or you might get your Texas passport revoked and be deported to Oklahoma.
i wish. i've always dreamed of 2 passports. problem is, i'd never qualify; as my DNA is too diverse to qualify as a Texan!

Truth: the new hate speech!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:36 am

Hi All,

I'm new to all of this, but have been reading and researching a lot the last few days. I live in the bay area and tried WM at 2 locations that failed. On my third attempt, I was able to find a place that will do it with no questions asked, so gold mines are definitely out there. I was able to do 3gs just today. I'm probably going to take it easy and just do it for my mileage points so it doesn't get flagged.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Yep, chalk this up to yet another charming, er, quirk of the Bay Area.

Last few days, I confirmed that...
- My local post office no longer will accept VGCs for MOs.
- Raley's / Nob Hill: same thing ("Gotta have your name on it" "But... but... my nickname is Gift Card, every since I was a little boy!" No, she did not even crack a smile.)

And Safeway stopped accepting VGCs for MOs months ago.

Maybe there are exceptions. But it seems unlikely.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Several dozen
Meh - Texas thrives on diversity. Last company I worked for down there was more diverse than the UN. We had people from all over the globe, and even a few from other planets, like California.

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i wish. i've always dreamed of 2 passports. problem is, i'd never qualify; as my DNA is too diverse to qualify as a Texan!

Truth: the new hate speech!
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:20 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Meh - Texas thrives on diversity. Last company I worked for down there was more diverse than the UN. We had people from all over the globe, and even a few from other planets, like California.
You know what they say in Texas... "There's a rump for every saddle." Except they don't say rump.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i wish. i've always dreamed of 2 passports.
I have 5.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by LiquidAssets
Hi All,

I'm new to all of this, but have been reading and researching a lot the last few days. I live in the bay area and tried WM at 2 locations that failed. On my third attempt, I was able to find a place that will do it with no questions asked, so gold mines are definitely out there. I was able to do 3gs just today. I'm probably going to take it easy and just do it for my mileage points so it doesn't get flagged.
That's more the exception than anything else. I'd keep that location to yourself!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:51 pm

you missed my not-so-subtle reference to inbreeding.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by csyoung49
That's more the exception than anything else. I'd keep that location to yourself!
To put things in perspective, the VGCs were done at Walgreens with a CC. I liquidated at a relatively small and obscure local PO near my house in San Jose. The lady even asked me if I was doing it for the mileage. I looked at her and with the slightest smile said that I needed to send my mother money. I then proceeded to ask her what her favorite jamba juice was because I always get an extra one with my jamba juice coupons. And since she's been really nice and helpful, I offered to give her one next time which she gladly obliged. I think I got a keeper here in regards to the gold mine.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:31 am

To put things in perspective, the VGCs were done at Walgreens with a CC. I liquidated at a relatively small and obscure local PO near my house in San Jose. The lady even asked me if I was doing it for the mileage. I looked at her and with the slightest smile said that I needed to send my mother money. I then proceeded to ask her what her favorite jamba juice was because I always get an extra one with my jamba juice coupons. And since she's been really nice and helpful, I offered to give her one next time which she gladly obliged. I think I got a keeper here in regards to the gold mine.
Probably easier to just answer yes to her question and skip the games...
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:29 am

Curious on the location of this PO. Care to share?

Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by kaiotes
Curious on the location of this PO. Care to share?
Definitely the quickest way to burn that location!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:44 pm

I quit MS after Redbird died mid 2015 or so. Doesn't seem like many opportunities anymore huh? Especially nothing that easy.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Several dozen
Meh - those National Parks Passports don't count. And don't even get me started on that Passport To Savings over at Wisconsin Dells...

Originally Posted by yugi
I have 5.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Nugget Markets and Raleys in the past couple months seem to have posted a "no credit cards allowed when buying gift cards" policy. Nugget does waive it if you are buying a Nugget gift card. Small denominations at both so... not so much of a loss?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.