Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Curve card is a "debit" card or "spend" card that you can use at stores and where you can use debit card for purchases. It is not funded by the bank with cash deposit, but funded by a collection of other debit cards and credit cards. You can't withdraw cash from ATM since it is not backed by the bank.

It carries MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Curve Card is offered in the United Kingdom and selected European countries. Not currently available in the US.
Print Wikipost

curve card changes.

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 2:55 am

Has anyone received a refund for these duplicated charges yet? I had 3 on 9th May and I've had my Amex statement produced today with all 3 on which is rather annoying!
Old May 16, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Turns out I did have some charges duplicated, and no, I haven't seen any refunds yet.

I got a rather strange letter from MBNA whose card I've been posting most of my Curve charges to, saying that they have identified that my card number may be compromised although they have not detected any fraudulent activity, so they are cancelling my current cards on May 18 (this Wednesday) and sending me new cards with a new number.

It may of course be unconnected and I haven't had a chance to talk to MBNA yet, but obviously it isn't a panic, otherwise they'd have blocked my card immediately, but I do wonder whether they are concerned about some of the charges that have come through from Curve?
Old May 16, 2016, 8:34 am

curve insisting this is AMEX's fault and so there's not much they can do their end. I will dispute the charges I think and get AMEX to refund.

Has anyone gone over their monthly Curve limit?
Old May 16, 2016, 8:41 am

The MBNA issue will be that your MBNA card has been used with a retailer that has declared a data breach, and informed Visa / Mastercard who will start to reissue cards in case their details are being sold.

I must admit when I analysed the profit centres for Curve I totally missed the significant portion of income they are getting from these transactions they say are declined but charge your funding card regardless!
Old May 16, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by 710 77345
The MBNA issue will be that your MBNA card has been used with a retailer that has declared a data breach, and informed Visa / Mastercard who will start to reissue cards in case their details are being sold.

I must admit when I analysed the profit centres for Curve I totally missed the significant portion of income they are getting from these transactions they say are declined but charge your funding card regardless!
My 2 refused transactions are to an Mbna linked card, Amex cards no problem at all.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
No refunds me yet for two duplicated charges.

Also a seperate in store refund that was processed on the 09th May hasn't appeared on the curve app or been credited to my Amex.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rams1981
curve insisting this is AMEX's fault and so there's not much they can do their end. I will dispute the charges I think and get AMEX to refund.

Has anyone gone over their monthly Curve limit?
Its not possible as Curve declines your transactions.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Off to Crete tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how we get on. I intend to use Curve for every transaction, (if I can, and excepting where Amex may be taken in any event )
If not, I have back ups of course, BA Amex etc.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by smala01
Its not possible as Curve declines your transactions.
It seems that way. I was just under my £5k limit. Did a £250 transaction going over the £5k that posted to curve and so far my pending Amex transactions but was declined by the merchant. Waiting to see if the charge goes through.

My 9 May duplicate transactions have now been refunded without raising this directly with Amex. So they did sort it as they said they would.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rams1981
It seems that way. I was just under my £5k limit. Did a £250 transaction going over the £5k that posted to curve and so far my pending Amex transactions but was declined by the merchant. Waiting to see if the charge goes through.

My 9 May duplicate transactions have now been refunded without raising this directly with Amex. So they did sort it as they said they would.
Yes from my experience its declined by the merchant, but does not hit the app nor the underlying card.

Its also a rolling month limit, not calendar.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
It looks like I have hit the £5k glass ceiling as the card is being declined at physical terminals (some online hotel purchases haven't been declined, but haven't been charged either, so I'm waiting for Hilton to cancel various bookings for non payment, which will be fun trying to reinstate them.)

Except I haven't, because of the multiple declined but still charged and eventually refunded problems. If I add the value of those failed transactions to my total spend, that totals ~£5k, but without them only ~3k.

As I'm now overseas, I'm having to use a standard 3% fx card for all transactions, taking the net 2% hit on everything. The ~£2k of failed but charged transactions were in the latter parts of April so looks like I'm stuck unable to use the card until early June.

The low limits and the duplicate charging problems are likely going to be the death of the card for me. If I can't use it without regular declines, duplicate charges and continually doing some mental maths on usage during a rolling 30 day limit, there's no point / too much hassle in carrying the card.

Uber won't accept the card - it can be saved in a profile but can't be charged to.

Just-eat will accept the card, but it will decline and still charge each time (refunding in circa 10 days, but like other declines, appearing to count to the £5k limit).

Travelex will decline the card without attempting to charge to it as they consider the card to be issued in Australia (!).

Beta test? Either (i) the Alpha testers did not use the card in a representative manner (possible but would seem unlikely) or (ii) Curve rolled out the Beta ignoring all the alpha tester discovered problems.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by rjn21
It looks like I have hit the £5k glass ceiling as the card is being declined at physical terminals (some online hotel purchases haven't been declined, but haven't been charged either, so I'm waiting for Hilton to cancel various bookings for non payment, which will be fun trying to reinstate them.)

Except I haven't, because of the multiple declined but still charged and eventually refunded problems. If I add the value of those failed transactions to my total spend, that totals ~£5k, but without them only ~3k.

As I'm now overseas, I'm having to use a standard 3% fx card for all transactions, taking the net 2% hit on everything. The ~£2k of failed but charged transactions were in the latter parts of April so looks like I'm stuck unable to use the card until early June.

The low limits and the duplicate charging problems are likely going to be the death of the card for me. If I can't use it without regular declines, duplicate charges and continually doing some mental maths on usage during a rolling 30 day limit, there's no point / too much hassle in carrying the card.

Uber won't accept the card - it can be saved in a profile but can't be charged to.

Just-eat will accept the card, but it will decline and still charge each time (refunding in circa 10 days, but like other declines, appearing to count to the £5k limit).

Travelex will decline the card without attempting to charge to it as they consider the card to be issued in Australia (!).

Beta test? Either (i) the Alpha testers did not use the card in a representative manner (possible but would seem unlikely) or (ii) Curve rolled out the Beta ignoring all the alpha tester discovered problems.
Uber seems to not like these type of cards anyway, I've never been able to get Supercard or Revolut working with it either.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Uber uses Stripe for payment processing. I'll have a go with my Stripe setup when the card arrives to see who causes the issue.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by rjn21

I can understand not wanting to carry too many cards around so using the curve for that. However booking Hilton hotels using the curve when they take Amex and knowing there is a limit, I can't understand. Obviously until everyone knows what we can and can't do with the curve I would only be using the card where Amex isn't accepted.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Yuff
.., However booking Hilton hotels using the curve when they take Amex and knowing there is a limit, I can't understand. Obviously until everyone knows what we can and can't do with the curve I would only be using the card where Amex isn't accepted.
Booking a hilton hotel stay for a non UK location is billed in the hotel's applicable local currency. Using Amex or another (non fx free) card directly will cost 2% more in fx fees, compared with curve. Kind of the whole point of the card for me, as I only use BAPP Amex to hit the 241 £10k, then all spend goes on a Bmi 2.5 avios/£ card. The 2% saving on fx is my personal benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.