Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by redarmy
Does anyone know if the $50K cap on everyday spending includes or excludes the initial $6500 spending?
It definitely excludes the initial $6.5K spend, I tracked $50K spend on each card and got 5% on groc/ds up to the cap amount.

Now that the company has stopped issuing this card, I plan to spend up to the cap as quickly as possible in case rumors of changing this card to BCE become reality. There may be no notice at all so best to be a step ahead.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by RedSun
Sure it is just me. I do not MS the hell of it. I only MS if I need to meet my SUB on some cards. It has worked out well for me and I enjoy the stress-free card rewards. Never get any single card shut down....
To each its own. I have never been shot down by any Credit Card Issuer either. And I do enjoy the more than two million miles and points I have gotten here in the United States Credit Card system thanks to a good FICO Score and a good job. And that is without counting the cash back from this card. And getting shot down does not keep me up at night, on contraire, I sleep really well, stress free, knowing that in Europe, where I come from, I would never be able to play this game like I have done it here in the last 10 years
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:47 am

Old blue no longer earn catgory bonus ?

just looked at my February statement, I noticed that no more 5x category bonus anymore ?

Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:52 am

and this is what prior statement looked like:
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BWItraveller
just looked at my February statement, I noticed that no more 5x category bonus anymore ?

Your Reward Year probably starts in January.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
My Jan looks normal (like your Dec).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:22 pm

And what does the omitted line look like? Probably all zeros if your reward year just reset. What is your "Total Qualified Spend This reward Year"

Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:54 pm

looked like my reward year indeed just reset , as some pointing out. sorry for the miss alarm.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:34 pm

looked like my reward year indeed just reset , as some pointing out. sorry for the miss alarm.
good news is you have another 56.5k of MS! 😁
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Talking The case for immigration reform and strong border control

Meh - this proves why the US needs immigration reform and strong immigration control. We have all these darn Europeans sneaking into our country to use our credit cards to poach American points and miles. We have to rally and protect our domestic MS Industry from this unwarrented foreign competition. We need to build a tall border wall now around all our valuable miles and points programs (and get Delta to pay for it, since they don't have a valuable miles program).

Originally Posted by carlitos
To each its own. I have never been shot down by any Credit Card Issuer either. And I do enjoy the more than two million miles and points I have gotten here in the United States Credit Card system thanks to a good FICO Score and a good job. And that is without counting the cash back from this card. And getting shot down does not keep me up at night, on contraire, I sleep really well, stress free, knowing that in Europe, where I come from, I would never be able to play this game like I have done it here in the last 10 years
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Meh - this proves why the US needs immigration reform and strong immigration control. We have all these darn Europeans sneaking into our country to use our credit cards to poach American points and miles. We have to rally and protect our domestic MS Industry from this unwarrented foreign competition. We need to build a tall border wall now around all our valuable miles and points programs (and get Delta to pay for it, since they don't have a valuable miles program).
I know, amnesty for us legal aliens who came to this country before 5/24 started

Just remember:

1) an American in Europe is an Expat
2) a European in the USA is an Alien or Immigrant ( Only my fellow Norwegians get the fancy treatment and to be called Expats )

Never the same
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:03 am

anyone else having issues with rewards?

my home page shows it should have reset in February, but I think the home page dates are wrong.

I was looking at last year's statement and looks like my rewards year it suppose to be sometime in May.

When I chatted with Amex, they said it was changed to calendar year instead of Anniversary date.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
The dates for mine are not updating either. Wouldn't worry about it. Carry on like normal.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
When I chatted with Amex, they said it was changed to calendar year instead of Anniversary date.
soon as I read this I checked one account where anniv date is before the end of Q3. I saved the reward year info on my dashboard just in case they'll give me this BS because I never received notice of change to calendar year. I know I received in one of my statements last year an announcement saying my blue cash goes by reward year based on anniversary date, not calendar year like BCE and BCP. I have purchases in the last Q of 2017 that should qualify to meet the first $6.5K before 5% kicks in for G,G,DS purchases so that'll affect my expected CB last month. I have my own computation which I will compare with theirs to find out and I'll call if my purchases AFTER my anniversary date has not been counted. I noticed the discrepancy in computation when the YTD spend did not count my holiday purchases. Hopefully, I get the correct RD for Feb or else I'll have to deal with a supervisor.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:55 am

Does anyone have luck buying GC at Hyvee? That is the only grocery store here that sells $500 and all the stores say "Cash Only".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.