Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This wiki is to an old thread and is no longer current and is no longer being maintained and/or updated.

Note: the 2015 version of the thread is here: New to Manufactured spending? Start Here(2015)

The 2017 discussion is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812407-new-manufactured-spending-start-here-2017-a.html#post27694982

Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Been out of Dodge (FL) for the past 6 month to the sticks so stupid question. Does anyone currently allow retail gift (Debit card) purchases with Amex Gift Cards these days like in the past? I know a lot had changed this year, but trying to relearn the game is like a thesis....

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Been out of Dodge (FL) for the past 6 month to the sticks so stupid question. Does anyone currently allow retail gift (Debit card) purchases with Amex Gift Cards these days like in the past? I know a lot had changed this year, but trying to relearn the game is like a thesis....
afaik, YMMV continues to reign everywhere but IME, I have the sync offer AGC $10/$200 (fee free/premium shipping) on 14 am3x cards so I ventured to buy 2 $500 Reloadit PayPowerVisa with 5 of them at the grocery store that allows split tender up to six cards. I have done two batches, 4 more to go. I loaded the VGCs to 1VIP for free.

you just have to do an exploratory mission at grocery stores in your area to find out which ones will take AGCs for VGCs.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:20 pm

My route is always to earn chase ink + office supply stores to earn UR points

Now that the suntrust and meta is dead, is mastercard gc in OD the only option left for me?

I assume all gcs sold at staples online is visa by meta.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by misterno
My route is always to earn chase ink + office supply stores to earn UR points

Now that the suntrust and meta is dead, is mastercard gc in OD the only option left for me?

I assume all gcs sold at staples online is visa by meta.
Can someone please help?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:26 am

Can someone please help?
Do you have a CVS or Walgreens to buy Vanillas? It sounds like you only liquidate at PO. Do you have any Walmarts?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Travelz
Do you have a CVS or Walgreens to buy Vanillas? It sounds like you only liquidate at PO. Do you have any Walmarts?
No UR bonus at pharmacies.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
No UR bonus at pharmacies.
Exactly

I dont understand how people are getting 5x points anymore

I could not figure out
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Exactly

I could not figure out
Well if you have Chase Ink card, you get 5X at office supply stores, Cable. internet and cell phone companies.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:46 am

Exactly

I could not figure out
check 0BC from am3x, you might find out something if vanillas are your GCs of choice...
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
check 0BC from am3x, you might find out something if vanillas are your GCs of choice...
What is 0BC?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:13 am

What is 0BC?

have you heard of google?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Exactly

I could not figure out
The drug store recommendation likely comes from the Chase Freedom 4Q category promotion. Chase Ink cards don't get 5x at drug stores.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
for now, nothing, wil b able to use the cards only tomorrow once my serve gets limit cleared.
Will surely update here, was looking for pointers yeah.
Sunrise worked like a charm to load my serve in WM.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
have you heard of google?
Ok i see it is amex old blue cash 5%

Thanks but i am after 5x points. It seems like there is no reason left for me to keep chase cards. I dont understand how anyone can achieve 5x points anymore.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:00 pm

looking for a non gift card (VGC, PPMC, etc) way to MS in Amex issued cards. I already do rent payment via plastiq. Anything else out there?

I'm willing to bear 2% fee.

Also, how tolerant is square of legit business just swiping my cards cards? how about paypal? how about ems plus? I know someone who has them and I could swipe limited amount and pay fee on his behalf. He purposely does not create enough revenue/transaction in each to file taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.