Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nostradamus of FT?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Nostradamus of FT?

On October 17, 2015, someone under the handle "UA Apologist" wrote a post that read as follows:
RIP BB (and Serve)

With all the rats abandoning the sinking RB ship, I predict BB (and Serve) to be dead before the end of the year.
I would like to extend my congratulations to the rats referred to above for accomplishing the task.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Seems you were off by a year.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
On October 17, 2015, someone under the handle "UA Apologist" wrote a post that read as follows:
RIP BB (and Serve)

With all the rats abandoning the sinking RB ship, I predict BB (and Serve) to be dead before the end of the year.
I would like to extend my congratulations to the rats referred to above for accomplishing the task.
I do think the sinking RB ship did have something to do with killing BB/Serve. It's quite likely that somebody at Target mgmt alerted someone at AMEX about this credit/VGC loading problem, which then prompted AMEX to examine the issue, come up with a software to cull the herd, then they executed culling. Target just never should have allowed CC load in the first place. If it was debit only from the very start, maybe the birds would be alive today.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:26 am

Because AMEX is so insulated from the rest of the world that nobody in the entire company read this forum or any blog on the interwebs touting GC to BB loads...
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
Because AMEX is so insulated from the rest of the world that nobody in the entire company read this forum or any blog on the interwebs touting GC to BB loads...
And also did Redbird really attract a lot of NEW MSers? I saw a lot of people move from Serve/BB to RB but with the cards not being available in many states and not many stores within some states, I'm not sure it caused an influx of people trying for the first time (although, especially with credit cards, it was so easy)

Which in turn means when they move back to Serve (or BB) it wouldn't be a huge new issue for Amex.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I don't know, I had lunch with a coworker I hadn't seen for a few years a few months ago, and she casually mentioned that she got a Redbird from her cousin in Wisconsin (I'm in California) to load RB with credit card because she saw it from some blog. She stopped when it became debit only so that cleared out some true newbies.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:30 pm

Which number would you like? You'll have to get in line with the rest of the people who "predicted" this would happen. As you can see, that line stretches back quite a ways, so in order to get your honorary Nostradamus title, you'll have to wait a bit. But no worries - I'm sure that you're used to waiting considering how long you had to wait for your prediction to come true.

That's supposed to sound more humorous than insulting.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:12 pm

It's silly to think that Redbird's death had anything to do with this action my Amex. Redbird is on the serve platform, oh no people moved from one version of serve to the other!?!? Shut it down!!!!! Personally I think this is just Amex doing a CYA, someone probably figured this was a regulatory risk for them and dropped the hammer. It was only a matter of time before they tightened up their standards, just look at all the complaints here about other prepaid a being shut down. Amex was running a loose ship and someone finally decided they were taking on too much regulatory risk.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My prediction: everyone on this thread will die. But first they'll have to pay taxes.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
My prediction: everyone on this thread will die. But first they'll have to pay taxes.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Nostradamus of FT!

For those of you who are not capable of paying attention to detail, I would like to emphasize the words "before the end of the year." If any of your predictions was as close on timing, feel free to show us the link(s).
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:48 am

Problem is that serve and Bb still aren't dead. Once they pull all cards off racks.

You are taking credit for something that hasn't happened. Shutdowns doesn't mean serve and bb are dead.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
RIP BB (and Serve)

Serve is not dead. It is alive and kicking. Just last night I saw a full rack of them at CVS with a big sign: "$0. Previously $2.95".
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Nostradamus Gives Up!

I knew that it was too ambitious to expect that those who are not capable of paying attention to detail would understand that, in a forum called Manufactured Spending, the word "dead" means dead for purposes of manufactured spending.

What is next?

Is some genius going to argue that BB (or Serve) is not dead because it is a card and, as such, was never alive?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:12 pm

What's up with people lately demanding credit for being the first person to be right about something? We get it man, you said it would happen and it happened....thank you so much for your insight.

I'd also like to predict that at some point in the future, something big will happen that will change a lot of other things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.