Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by danhouston
wonder why some folks still presently mentioned amex related to BB; it's Incomm, a different co,. has been running the show for the last 2 yrs or so
I suspect that it may be due to the fact that when I sign into my Amex account, it still has a BB link as one of my "cards".

So it is somewhat easy to see how people may still think that Amex is part of the program
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:31 pm

wonder why some folks still presently mentioned amex related to BB; it's Incomm, a different co,. has been running the show for the last 2 yrs or so

And by the way, You may be correct about Incomm running the show, but the BlueBird website says it's AMEX travel related services company. You can hardly fault me for thinking it's AMEX with the AMEX logos plastered everywhere and the following at the bottom of the Bluebird website:

Bluebird is issued by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.,
https://www.bluebird.com/customer/

Last edited by CerealCardSpender; Jul 8, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:40 am

any folks with more than 1 BB got the small shop $5 cr for each card?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:18 pm

Anyone heard of BB Account Protection Services? Like everyone else, I had issues adding a new payee and I tried a bunch of times since Sunday night. So I finally called their customer service and that's when they mentioned that this special department is handling my account now. I talked to 2 different agents just to double check. They both said the same and couldn't give me any more info. I am supposed to call 800 660 2454 and talk to this Account Protection Services in the morning.

Sounds like a shutdown?! But I can still log in, check balance/transactions, and possibly pay bills too (haven't actually gone through all the bill pay steps yet). But the agents said I can't do anything with my card/account now. Last load was on 7/11/20 at WM and also paid 2 CCs on the same day (both went through fine and my accounts were credited).

I still have about $1K balance left on BB. I don't want the money to get stuck. Should I just attempt to pay off an existing payee before calling in? Only thing is that all my existing payees have a balance of zero and I would be overpaying my CCs - would that be an issue with Amex or Chase? Thanks, guys!

Last edited by BUF777; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:36 pm
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by BUF777
Anyone heard of BB Account Protection Services? Like everyone else, I had issues adding a new payee and I tried a bunch of times since Sunday night. So I finally called their customer service and that's when they mentioned that this special department is handling my account now. I talked to 2 different agents just to double check. They both said the same and couldn't give me any more info. I am supposed to call 800 660 2454 and talk to this Account Protection Services in the morning.

Sounds like a shutdown?! But I can still log in, check balance/transactions, and possibly pay bills too (haven't actually gone through all the bill pay steps yet). But the agents said I can't do anything with my card/account now. Last load was on 7/11/20 at WM and also paid 2 CCs on the same day (both went through fine and my accounts were credited).

I still have about $1K balance left on BB. I don't want the money to get stuck. Should I just attempt to pay off an existing payee before calling in? Only thing is that all my existing payees have a balance of zero and I would be overpaying my CCs - would that be an issue with Amex or Chase? Thanks, guys!
If you can login, not shutdown. 8006602454 does lots of things, primarily verifying though.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
If you can login, not shutdown. 8006602454 does lots of things, primarily verifying though.
Hopefully this was due to my multiple attempts to add a new payee and nothing more. Do people ever get shutdown after talking to/reviewed by this Account Protection Services?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:14 am

try atm withdrawal
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:17 am

tested it & got the cr on the 2nd card, but Q is if it may get clawed back or worse to get eyes on the acct
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:49 pm

try atm withdrawal
Haven't tried ATM withdrawal yet, but ran 2 small online purchases and they went through just fine. I still haven't called in yet.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:01 pm

Haven't tried ATM withdrawal yet, but ran 2 small online purchases and they went through just fine. I still haven't called in yet.
Shutdowns are about putting money on BB, not spending it.

There are multiple reports of people being shut down but able to use their account until all the money in the account prior to the shutdown is expended.

There are also reports of their account being shut down and no longer able to use it. We have no idea which one happens to which person. You may be the former.

To find out if you are shut down, simply try to put some cash into your BB account, either at a WM or via a debit card deposit. If you can do that, your account is alive. If not..........
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:25 pm

suggested withdrawal as u said 'concern about not access the acct with remaining $'
BUF777 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I did a few reloads at WM that are showing up in my transaction history but have yet to reflect in my available balance (they're a few days old). I've got the confirmation emails in my inbox. I can reload with debit online no problem, withdraw it just fine, and there's no shutdown email anywhere in my inbox. Have any of you dealt with something similar? Torn between wondering if it's just an IT problem or if I drew their ire
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mbzdel
I did a few reloads at WM that are showing up in my transaction history but have yet to reflect in my available balance (they're a few days old). I've got the confirmation emails in my inbox. I can reload with debit online no problem, withdraw it just fine, and there's no shutdown email anywhere in my inbox. Have any of you dealt with something similar? Torn between wondering if it's just an IT problem or if I drew their ire
As of now, your account is fine.

I have no idea what "Account Protection Services" is, but if all is functioning normally, I would probably not stir the pot if the soup is not burning or boiling over, if you get my drift
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:29 am

I tried 5 times, and got 25$ two days later.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:21 pm

Terrible news today: Walmart said I can no longer load my BlueBird card with my Visa Gift Cards. Ugh. I'd been on about 3 years or so, I didn't expect things to last forever. But now I'm lost on how to liquidate so many gift cards on a regular basis. Apple Pay, PayPal? Anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.