Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

How much does your Significant other help you out in this hobby?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

I was just curious, for those of you who have Significant Others/Spouses, how much do they help you out in this hobby? it definitely is alot of work trying to churn for 2 or more folks.

Anyway, thru an informal poll among my friends, their significant others tend to have no problem signing up for credit cards and assigning my friends as authorized users, but overall - the general consensus is that there seems to be an aversion from the significant others for doing the actual legwork (i.e. walmart runs, grocery store runs, ordering items from Staples, etc.).

Wanted to see if alot of you have similar experiences? How do you manage from getting burnt out?

Last edited by windowandaisleseatonly; Oct 18, 2015 at 11:42 pm
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:47 am

How do you manage from getting burnt out?
I MS up to the level I'm comfortable with. Regardless of what others do, I stick to what works for me. I manage several load and drain reloadables that's enough to cover my goals.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
Mine helps me spend that's always fun for her. But I try to keep it simple. Its me who does the crazy things
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:29 am

When I go to do shenanigans at Wal*Mart, she sets up a diversion. A good one is to set all the alarm clocks/radios to full volume to turn on at a certain time. Setting up single alarm radios in random places throughout the store with volume full to turn on at 1 minute intervals will create more diversions while employees scatter to find and turn off the blaring music. While this is going on, I use a credit card to get money orders for $1000 each.

(I made this all up, by the way...my wife does nothing but roll her eyes when I tell her my latest strategy)
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:46 am

My wife is always very helpful when it is time to call and close credit cards in her name when required.

She also is very willing to help in keeping the hotel and airline point balances from getting too high.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As I load Serve cards at WM my wife spends money in WM on more crap, ugh! She'll go along with whatever MS I/her have to do as long as she doesn't have to fly in economy.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Several dozen
My SO lets me manage MS as an AU, but I am the hamster on the wheel spinning out an endless supply of miles, points and dollars.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
My girl has a AU on my CSP and earns about 200 points per month. She complains when I want to go to Target or Walmart, and refuses to apply for any CC's that I ask her to. Whenever we get into a fight she says that she doesn't want the AU card anymore and throws it at me.

I was fortunate enough to get a RB and a buxx teen card out of her though.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:01 am

Husband basically lets me manage his credit but whines and complains if I ask him to buy gcs (forget MOs), so I always get AU cards on his accounts. He'll drive me around and accompany me into stores but tries to stay away from the checkout lol.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
My wife does nothing. Only contact she has with credit cards and points and debit cards is spending money on stuff and handing the phone to me after calling customer service. I have finally sort of trained her which card to use for what and to tell me when she is going to spend much on Amazon/iTunes/airfare so I can get the appropriate GCs. MS is completely a black box to her.

She does not care in the least if I apply for cards in her name and run her accounts, charge thousands for debit cards in her name, cash in miles, etc. but all our finances are 100% merged anyway, except for retirement accounts.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:59 am

My wife does not like this at all. She has begrudgingly given "approval" to open a few card a year which I try to get the biggest bonuses possible (Chase Ink, Amex Plantinum, etc.) She does not like it when I buy VGCs and hates it if she sees any that I have no liquidated.

I'm in process to ask her if I can open the Wells Fargo card, but I'm betting she won't be happy when I explain the process to make money on that card. Bonuses are an easier sell since its like $3000 or $4000 in spend. Not sure what her response will be when I say I want to spend over $100K...

Last edited by cdog999; Oct 19, 2015 at 10:23 am
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:08 am

My husband doesn't care what I do as long as he doesn't have to do anything. He will forward texts with a code, he will answer his phone and hand it to me, saying talk to my wife, she handles this stuff... and that's it. He whines if I ask him to pull in somewhere so I can go get a deal.......... He does like that he has credit established now and he does like to rattle off to people about how he had no credit and now he can get a loan or CC anywhere... and he has learned to ask before he goes shopping so I can tell him what card to use.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: SQ, DL, Marriott, UR
When I promise to teach our kids to MS in a few years, my wife says: "One crazy person in the family is enough" She does not object going to Europe for vacation though! And kids love watching first class flight videos on youtube before going to bed.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:08 pm

My wife is very skeptical of churning and absolutely against MS. I convince her to do 1-2 apps per year for sign up bonuses and I do all of the MS (or she'll sign up when she has enough natural spending coming up). She likes getting the 1-4 free domestic flights. She doesn't mind me MS'ing because I keep such good track of it all. If MS'ing was virtually no effort, I'm sure she would be up for it but since it requires a lot of attention to detail she just doesn't think its worth it.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Nice topic! Was always wondering how others are faring ;-)

I got my wife to open a Bluebird and OBC last year so she could buy 3 VGC each month and pay the rent from the BB checkbook (in our household budget she pays the rent and I everything else). She did this for like 3 or 4 months and then went back to paying rent with her regular Chase checks because she hated going to Ralphs and Walmart etc. This left me to take care of the BB which I stewarded to the max since then. Also have gotten myself an AU card for her OBC which I'm maxing out with $4k/m.

She understands that I'm making quite a lot of money with this and she appreciates that I'm out on my bike several times a week. But she hates going to stores and malls so much that she couldn't do this on a regular basis...

At least she signed up for the BofA $100 after $500 signup offer which came in the mail last week ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.