Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying a prepaid card with CC in AUSTRALIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

I searched and googled. The results were pretty slim and inconclusive.

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:27 pm

Yes please, Bump
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, VA Velocity, QF Frequent Flyer, SQ KrisFlyer, Sixt Platinum, Europcar Executive, Accor
I've had some success with the Sta Travel CashFlex card. You can load it with CC in store, and it will be coded as a travel agency purchase. Do NOT load it with a CC online (even though it will let you) as it will charge as a cash advance. Been there, done that. I guess in store is processed as a local purchase while online it's done by the bank.

There are nickel and dime fees involved, 3% instore CC fee, $1 (I think) ATM fees, but it works for meeting a minimum spend or MSing category spend for travel agencies. I usually withdraw from a Westpac ATM, which doesn't charge an extra fee.

My experience is using US CC's with no fx charges. YMMV.

There are fixed value gift cards from AusPost that you can buy with a CC, and some lower denom VGCs you can buy at Target and Coles. Flight Centre *I think* sells a $500 fixed VGCs. All of these options have hefty activation charges, but should be able to be purchased with a CC. I've only done CashFLEX and it has worked well for me.

Last edited by rwstrickler; Jul 27, 2015 at 1:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.