Wiki Posts
Search

Easiest way to "delay" a purchase?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Easiest way to "delay" a purchase?

Hi all,

I looked through the first few pages of the forum, but couldn't find any answer on that.
What would be the easiest way to "delay" a purchase?

I'll explain myself, I'm planning a wedding right now, and will soon have $10k to spend (in 3 months), but I'd like to meet the minimum spend on my cards now.
what's the easiest way to do that?

Biggest bills would be the florist and the restaurant. is it better to get Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards? Amex go by bigger denomination on the amex website, so that's what I'm leaning for right now. just making sure I'm not forgetting anything.

thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:27 am

I'm in the process of finalizing all my payments with my vendors for the wedding. I've split payments up and prepaid alot of stuff to meet minimum spend. Alot of wedding vendors in my experience tend to shy away from AMEX, so your luck may vary there.

What you could do is negotiate a "larger" down payment for the venue/Florist/caterer/Cake/DJ. Doing this, I've been able to negotiate some prices down too! (If I put a larger deposit down, is there anything you can do about overall price)

P.S. -Why not have the vendor charge your card directly instead of giving them gift cards?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly
I'm in the process of finalizing all my payments with my vendors for the wedding. I've split payments up and prepaid alot of stuff to meet minimum spend. Alot of wedding vendors in my experience tend to shy away from AMEX, so your luck may vary there.

What you could do is negotiate a "larger" down payment for the venue/Florist/caterer/Cake/DJ. Doing this, I've been able to negotiate some prices down too! (If I put a larger deposit down, is there anything you can do about overall price)

P.S. -Why not have the vendor charge your card directly instead of giving them gift cards?
I think I'd be more than a little wary of prepaying too much for a wedding vendor. The down payment is meant to lock in their time and delivery when the big day arrives while the bulk of the payment AFTER delivery is their incentive to do a good job when the time comes. Playing with a bit of fire by taking away that carrot.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:21 am

and what if a vendor suddenly goes out of business ?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
and what if a vendor suddenly goes out of business ?
Exactly. Sadly, this happens all the time in the wedding industry...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Several dozen
Buy gift cards at the mall, then liquidate them via a Redbird. That would be about the lowest cost, lowest risk technique. Prepaying for all things wedding is a bit iffy.

Originally Posted by switchyj
Hi all,

I looked through the first few pages of the forum, but couldn't find any answer on that.
What would be the easiest way to "delay" a purchase?

I'll explain myself, I'm planning a wedding right now, and will soon have $10k to spend (in 3 months), but I'd like to meet the minimum spend on my cards now.
what's the easiest way to do that?

Biggest bills would be the florist and the restaurant. is it better to get Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards? Amex go by bigger denomination on the amex website, so that's what I'm leaning for right now. just making sure I'm not forgetting anything.

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.