Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Vanilla Visas vs Netspend Visa to unload onto Serve/Bluebird

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

I found 3 different types of Visa Gift Cards at a local gas station at loadable up to $500
1) MyVanilla Visa (3.95 purchase fee)
2) OneVanilla Prepaid Visa (4.95 purchase fee)
3) NetSpend Visa Prepaid Debit Card (4.95 purchase fee)
*I saw a Paypal one as well, but that was a Mastercard I believe.

I need to spend $2500 to meet my spend requirements for my Citi Thankyou Premier card. Gas stations get 3% on the card so buying this at a gas station would be a bonus over sunnies at Walmart. Does anyone know if any of these cards are unloadable onto Bluebird & Serve at Walmart? I believe I read there are issues with the Vanilla ones...
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:38 pm

start here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
I found 3 different types of Visa Gift Cards at a local gas station at loadable up to $500

I need to spend $2500 to meet my spend requirements for my Citi Thankyou Premier card. Gas stations get 3% on the card so buying this at a gas station would be a bonus over sunnies at Walmart. Does anyone know if any of these cards are unloadable onto Bluebird & Serve at Walmart? I believe I read there are issues with the Vanilla ones...
I haven't had any luck trying to load OV into BlueBird. But it goes right though on RedCard. My local station has lots of MyVanilla, but a bit Leary of them if they won't load into BlueBird.
You can read the wiki over and over, waste a lot of time, but it doesn't take any longer to post my thoughts and try to help, than it does to try to find the answer in the wiki.
Hope that helps, and if you find that OneVanilla can load to BB, I'd certainly like to know the routine.
My local fuel stop doesn't have Sunnies.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by cdog999

Where are you located? Are you sure your gas station takes credit for these purchases? Many don't.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:21 pm

I'd start with the OneVanilla as a test. You probably won't be able to load it to Serve at WM, but it should work at FD. If they allow you to purchase with a credit card, keep buying and never ever stop. And PM me if you live in the northeast. :P
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by valedecem
I'd start with the OneVanilla as a test. You probably won't be able to load it to Serve at WM, but it should work at FD. If they allow you to purchase with a credit card, keep buying and never ever stop. And PM me if you live in the northeast. :P
Truth!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valedecem
Thanks. I'll give this a try. Stinks that you can only do one load at FD. If this works I plan on doing the remainder of the spend requirement using this method. But, I don't think I'll continue doing this ongoing as going to FD 5 times a month sounds like a pain.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:07 pm

Any results here??? I'm curious because I'm in the exact same situation: need help hitting the min. spend on my TY Premier and I have these cards available at a local gas station. (South Carolina)

I've used Bluebird before to hit minimum spends with no problem, but it was by purchasing Metabank VGCs at Walmart. If I can consistently get 3x points on my TY Premier that would be awesome!

Last edited by tdon; Jul 20, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:13 pm

I signed up for Netspend last week as an alternate source to Tmobile to unloading reloadits. I like that Netspend has free ACH debits.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:37 pm

from the netspend cardholder's agreement I read the pay as you go plan (no monthly maintenance fee) has a $2 per PIN purchase transaction fee which you will shell out if you're going to transfer funds to BB/Serve.

with vanilla VGCs, I buy them at WAG when fee is 50% off and go to FD and/or buy MOs to drain them quickly. It's a lot cheaper and I don't have to worry about possible card shutdowns.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tontod
I signed up for Netspend last week as an alternate source to Tmobile to unloading reloadits. I like that Netspend has free ACH debits.

Good luck if you last more then 1 month , 2 at best. They want only those who will use it for everyday purchases and small amounts at that. ACHing , MOing will see you back on here bemoaning that they shut you down and wont give you back your funds for 180 days.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Good luck if you last more then 1 month , 2 at best. They want only those who will use it for everyday purchases and small amounts at that. ACHing , MOing will see you back on here bemoaning that they shut you down and wont give you back your funds for 180 days.
Hmm, is accountnow any better? I'll use it for $1k - $2k/month at most.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tontod
Hmm, is accountnow any better? I'll use it for $1k - $2k/month at most.
Not trying to be a wiseguy but by any chance did you read the Master Threads for both NS & AC? You do know they both have a master thread and even if the info is old it will let you know what to expect eg what I said about NS has been posted on that thread = very doubtful that they all of a sudden decided to become home for 1000s of MSers. If they were bad yrs ago then they still will be, thats why it doesnt matter when the posts were made if enough people bad mouth them and talk about it being a PITA to get the $$ back then even if the last post was say 2011,I wouldnt expect it to be any different today
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Not trying to be a wiseguy but by any chance did you read the Master Threads for both NS & AC? You do know they both have a master thread and even if the info is old it will let you know what to expect eg what I said about NS has been posted on that thread = very doubtful that they all of a sudden decided to become home for 1000s of MSers. If they were bad yrs ago then they still will be, thats why it doesnt matter when the posts were made if enough people bad mouth them and talk about it being a PITA to get the $$ back then even if the last post was say 2011,I wouldnt expect it to be any different today
Yeah, they are somewhat outdated, but I'll go back and take a look. I've read the tmobile thread in good detail, but not netspend or accountnow.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
with vanilla VGCs, I buy them at WAG when fee is 50% off and go to FD and/or buy MOs to drain them quickly. It's a lot cheaper and I don't have to worry about possible card shutdowns.
How do you drain Vanilla VGCs at FD? Can you load them onto your Bluebird in the store? Can you do this at walmart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.