Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Can someone offer some advice on how I can most efficiently cash out $5000?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I recently got approved for a Chase Ink Plus with the 50,000 point bonus, but I'm not sure what the best way to cash it out would be.. I read the FAQ but still am somewhat confused. Apparently I should buy American Express gift cards from some sort of online portal, convert them to VISA Gift Cards, and then try to sell them somehow? Is there no better way to do this? Are there any services that I can just charge the credit card and somehow receive cash without paying a large fee?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:40 pm

The research is strong with this one.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:44 pm

I think you may be confusing two different issues.

1. You have to spend $5000 within 6 months (I think? Don't quote me on that) to get 50,000 bonus points. Is your question how to spend $5000? First, see how much you normally spend per month. If your usual spending will hit $5000, then no worries, you're good.

2. If you're asking how to spend the 50,000 points, you have multiple options. Most people here will tell you that Chase points are valuable because of their transfer partners. For example, if you wanted two roundtrip economy tickets in the U.S., you could transfer your points to United, which charges 25,000 points for an economy r/t. With 50,000 points, you could get 2 tickets. (Make sure to check availability on United BEFORE transferring, because you can't undo the transfer.)

2a. You could also "spend" the points through Chase directly. You will get 1.25 cents per point. So if you wanted to pay for a flight, hotel, car, etc., you could spend up to $625 (50,000 x 0.0125) for "free" using points. Because these are fixed-value awards (1.25 cents per point) most people on this website tend not to use them.

3. This forum ("Manufactured Spending") is more about ways to spend money on credit cards that you can then liquidate into cash. To take a simple (and non-existent) example, if I could go to the store, and charge $100 to my credit card, and they gave me $100 in cash, then I have accumulated $100 in spending on my card (and earned 100 points) but I have $100 in cash so I have earned those points for free.

Most Manufactured Spending has some transaction cost (a few examples, like credit card loads to Serve, don't, but that's going away in two weeks). But for example, you could use your Chase Ink card to:

--go to Staples
--buy a $500 gift card
--pay a $3.95 gift card fee
--spend the $500 on stuff you otherwise would

You have spent $504, earned 2,520 points (because the Ink gets 5x points at office supply stores) and you get back $500 to spend on the gift card. In this simple example you've generated 2,520 points for $4 or 0.15 cents per point. As you see above, you can get a minimum of 1.25 cents per point return from the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel site, so you are 1.10% ahead of the game with this simple example.

Most everything else (reload cards, money orders, etc.) all builds on this same basic concept. (One exception is reselling, which is more complicated. But Staples often has "free after rebate" items. You could buy those items, get 5x points, get the rebate so the item is free, and then ebay the stuff for profit.)

Anyway I think that answers your questions but if you clarify we may be able to help.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12

1. You have to spend $5000 within 6 months (I think? Don't quote me on that) to get 50,000 bonus points. Is your question how to spend $5000? First, see how much you normally spend per month. If your usual spending will hit $5000, then no worries, you're good.

2. If you're asking how to spend the 50,000 points, you have multiple options. Most people here will tell you that Chase points are valuable because of their transfer partners. For example, if you wanted two roundtrip economy tickets in the U.S., you could transfer your points to United, which charges 25,000 points for an economy r/t. With 50,000 points, you could get 2 tickets. (Make sure to check availability on United BEFORE transferring, because you can't undo the transfer.)

2a. You could also "spend" the points through Chase directly. You will get 1.25 cents per point. So if you wanted to pay for a flight, hotel, car, etc., you could spend up to $625 (50,000 x 0.0125) for "free" using points. Because these are fixed-value awards (1.25 cents per point) most people on this website tend not to use them.

3. This forum ("Manufactured Spending") is more about ways to spend money on credit cards that you can then liquidate into cash. To take a simple (and non-existent) example, if I could go to the store, and charge $100 to my credit card, and they gave me $100 in cash, then I have accumulated $100 in spending on my card (and earned 100 points) but I have $100 in cash so I have earned those points for free.

Most Manufactured Spending has some transaction cost (a few examples, like credit card loads to Serve, don't, but that's going away in two weeks). But for example, you could use your Chase Ink card to:

--go to Staples
--buy a $500 gift card

You have spent $504, earned 2,520 points (because the Ink gets 5x points at office supply stores) and you get back $500 to spend on the gift card. In this simple example you've generated 2,520 points for $4 or 0.15 cents per point. As you see above, you can get a minimum of 1.25 cents per point return from the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel site, so you are 1.10% ahead of the game with this simple example.

Most everything else (reload cards, money orders, etc.) all builds on this same basic concept. (One exception is reselling, which is more complicated. But Staples often has "free after rebate" items. You could buy those items, get 5x points, get the rebate so the item is free, and then ebay the stuff for profit.)

Anyway I think that answers your questions but if you clarify we may be able to help.

A $500 gift card at Staples with a $3.95 fee??
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by dawhipsaw
ROFL, "These aren't the droids you're looking for." OP, good luck.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:03 pm

--go to Staples
--buy a $500 gift card

Your response was more than anyone else is willing to give but the spemd requirement is 3 months not 6 and as someone else pointed out there are no $500 gift card at staples that you can buy with cc.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
ROFL, "These aren't the droids you're looking for." OP, good luck.
Uncle Owen.. this droid has a bad motivator
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:01 pm
Suspended

--go to Staples
--buy a $500 gift card

Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:05 pm

--go to Staples
--buy a $500 gift card
What universe are you living in?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:27 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

phrostbyte, welcome to Flyertalk. I would suggest you look at the thread entitled http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html It explains different ways to quickly spend money on your credit card. Post in that thread if you have any questions. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.