Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M$ in relation to your income.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Gld 1MM; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pwd847
I don't understand why KIVA even exists if there is a 1.5% chance that the loan will not be paid back??

I already have 4 savings accounts and 2 checking. I don't want to add anymore. My main savings is already earning 0.99% in an Ally Bank account. I doubt Citi can even come close to that.

As far as debit card plays, do you mean buying VGC's from grocery stores and Staples? I also have been crunching numbers for buying Amex GC's through TopCashBack and turning those into VGC's.
Kiva exists as a crowd-funding source of money to people in [mostly] developing countries. It does not exist for the convenience of MS-ers!

My support of Kiva has very little to do with my MS.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

I don't understand why KIVA even exists if there is a 1.5% chance that the loan will not be paid back??
You'd better stay far away from the stock market and/or Vegas
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Stoughton
You'd better stay far away from the stock market and/or Vegas
When I go to Vegas I have no intention of earning thousands of miles. I actually expect the opposite. I plan to spend them on airfare and hotels.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
In my opinion, they do not care unless if you are abusing bonus categories.
Yeeea, definitely not true. If they view you as a risk (which they may if you are spending over what they think you can afford to pay), then they will shut you down regardless of non category spend. Ask anyone who has gotten shut down on usbanks cc, barclays arrival, or half a dozen other cards that have no modifier.

Originally Posted by satman40
I ran a business on CCs for many years, spent over a million a year, for over 20 years,

Never had a problem.

As long as the CC bills are paid no problem.

Gross income, and net income are 2 different things.
Personal cards are also different than business cards. If they want, they can ask for records of sales, etc, to justify high business expenses on your business cards. You shouldnt be running a business on personal cards, and I think the t&cs of cards even say something to the fact (its been a while but I seem to remember something relating to it). Also, I gather you were likely ACTUALLY running a business, so of course, they should have no problem with that, but its quite obvious if someone looks at your accounts that you are actually running a business and not MSing....
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Well now I have lots of insight from lots of different angles. Thanks guys!

I think I will get that second RedBird after all.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:31 am

Well now I have lots of insight from lots of different angles. Thanks guys!

I think I will get that second RedBird after all.
The sooner you get to heavy spending the sooner the banks learn you as a customer and open the pearly gates of heaven for you.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I MS about 300% of my household income, but I spread it out between 5 banks, 8 cards, and 2 SSNs.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did @ 10x my yearly income in MOs alone last year, all through 1 CU account. No problems so far other than a diminishing number of places to buy MOs.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I did @ 10x my yearly income in MOs alone last year, all through 1 CU account. No problems so far other than a diminishing number of places to buy MOs.
Thats insane - We can assume that the bank sent SAR to the IRS. Question is, did you hear about it? Did they bug you?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Just to clarify:

You fund KIVA with a US Banks Flexperks card at 3X and be sharp on picking your loans. My losses are pennies on close to 10k in loans.

The point is to bag miles for funding short term accounts. Funding 30 day CDS, for example.

Debit cards attached to checking accounts that pay you per transaction in coin or miles. Real debit cards, the kind that will still work even if WU has its way.

I already have 4 savings accounts and 2 checking. I don't want to add anymore. My main savings is already earning 0.99% in an Ally Bank account. I doubt Citi can even come close to that.

As far as debit card plays, do you mean buying VGC's from grocery stores and Staples? I also have been crunching numbers for buying Amex GC's through TopCashBack and turning those into VGC's.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 46sky
Thats insane - We can assume that the bank sent SAR to the IRS. Question is, did you hear about it? Did they bug you?
No, we can't assume that. I haven't seen anyone here show that they have exact knowledge of what triggers a SAR -- they're all just making guesses.

Why would they fill out a SAR when they trust me?

Last edited by PaulMSN; Mar 19, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, we can't assume that. I haven't seen anyone here show that they have exact knowledge of what triggers a SAR -- they're all just making guesses.
I don't think that there are any exact triggers. The whole point is that the criteria are not well-defined. They are supposed to do it if they think that your behavior is suspicious. If the law defined exactly what was considered suspicious, then people could avoid them (like they do with the $10k CTR limit... not that I am recommending structuring to anyone)
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't think that there are any exact triggers. The whole point is that the criteria are not well-defined. They are supposed to do it if they think that your behavior is suspicious. If the law defined exactly what was considered suspicious, then people could avoid them (like they do with the $10k CTR limit... not that I am recommending structuring to anyone)
I mean there are definitely some exact triggers. For instance, straight from the horses mouth: Record keeping requirements under the Bank Secrecy Act:

MSBs must file a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) within 15 days whenever a transaction or series of transactions in currency:

Involves more than $10,000 in either cash-in or cash-out, and
Is conducted by, or on behalf of, the same person, and
Is conducted on the same business day.

So I think we have pretty strong evidence to suspect that they have been filing SARs since they are, by law, required to do so. The banks have to file with the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN); "FinCEN collects and analyzes the information to support law enforcement investigative efforts and to provide U.S. policy makers with strategic analyses of domestic worldwide money laundering developments, trends and patterns."

For what its worth, I would rather have them file it with FinCEN rather than the IRS.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 46sky
..."a transaction or series of transactions in currency"..."cash-in or cash-out"...
They're looking for money launderers. We have almost nothing to suspect they are filing SARs for MO deposits.

The law is not designed to deal with people depositing MOs. It's certainly possible one could become caught up in it if a bank official is overzealous, but as I said, no one knows.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: Several dozen
Even a blind man can smell bleach.

They're looking for money launderers. We have almost nothing to suspect they are filing SARs for MO deposits.

The law is not designed to deal with people depositing MOs. It's certainly possible one could become caught up in it if a bank official is overzealous, but as I said, no one knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.