Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Walmart Changing Policy of Loading Serve with Gift Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

I was at a Walmart today in CT and was told by the manager that I shouldn't use gift cards to load my serve account because they are not intended to be used as cash. The manager allowed me to load the gift card today but advised me that in the future I wouldn't be able to do it.

Is it a change in the company policy or an issue with this particular walmart?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:30 pm

It is always the policy but most of wm employee either don't know the policy or just not to enforce it. In my local wm, some WM employee want to check my Id to match the name of the debit card each time but most of the employee not blink at all. I always try not to step near the employee area.

Originally Posted by gakgx6
I was at a Walmart today in CT and was told by the manager that I shouldn't use gift cards to load my serve account because they are not intended to be used as cash. The manager allowed me to load the gift card today but advised me that in the future I wouldn't be able to do it.

Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Smile

KATE is your friend. Or are we gonna have to explain that too...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:35 pm

What... You told them it's a gift card?!?!?!??!?

P.S.: Freakin noobs...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

No KATE in that Walmart or the area. Of course I didn't say but the manager probably saw while I swiped the card.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
No KATE in that Walmart or the area. Of course I didn't say but the manager probably saw while I swiped the card.
This is why you avoid managers.

Also avoid pinpads where they can see your card, meaning ones lying flat on a countertop. The ones that tilt up and face you are the best.

When I was running gift cards the VGC would be in the Tyvek sleeve with my bank debit card. When I pulled VGC out my hand would obscure everything except the striipe, swipe and then back in sleeve. If they asked to SEE my card, I would pull the bank debit card out of the sleeve.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
This is why you avoid managers.

Also avoid pinpads where they can see your card, meaning ones lying flat on a countertop. The ones that tilt up and face you are the best.

When I was running gift cards the VGC would be in the Tyvek sleeve with my bank debit card. When I pulled VGC out my hand would obscure everything except the striipe, swipe and then back in sleeve. If they asked to SEE my card, I would pull the bank debit card out of the sleeve.
Good suggestions. However, if you are swiping more than one card (like most of us), it's pretty obvious you are using a gift card and not a debit card.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
thread closure

As the OP's question has been adequately answered, and there are other existing threads discussing this topic, I'm going to close this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.