Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rite Aid master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:34 pm

Just had a cashier get a little confused about whether she was able to sell me a PayPal cash card because it says "Reusable" on it.

She arrived at the correct decision and I appreciate her diligence in trying to interpret the rules.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Just received some disappointing news from store manager of my go-to RA. I have been purchasing $3k/per visit for the last year with no issues at all and was told during my visit today, that as of next week, the registers will be hard coded to accept cash only for VGC. He showed me the corporate memo and it did, in fact, name all of the variable load cards as going to cash-only. He pushed my purchase through today but said next week, it's game over. Now I don't know if this was just a memo to this store (unlikely) or a regional/national thing but next week might be the end of vgc at RA...we will certainly all find out!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Just received some disappointing news from store manager of my go-to RA. I have been purchasing $3k/per visit for the last year with no issues at all and was told during my visit today, that as of next week, the registers will be hard coded to accept cash only for VGC. He showed me the corporate memo and it did, in fact, name all of the variable load cards as going to cash-only. He pushed my purchase through today but said next week, it's game over. Now I don't know if this was just a memo to this store (unlikely) or a regional/national thing but next week might be the end of vgc at RA...we will certainly all find out!
Confirmed, cash only starting 7/7/16 here in CT.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:23 pm

Well, considering they were already hard coded to not let you go over $3k anyways, I have to question that you buy 3k per visit, unless you're making the 6th card less than $500 so that the total isn't over 3k. This has been hard coded for a while, so I always just get $2500.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:25 pm

Also, did you see the memo? I saw the one a few months ago stating that RELOADABLEs were cash only. Hopefully you didn't get as confused as the incompetent employees and managers. The one I saw named basically all of the RELOADABLE cards so you can imagine the confusion between MyVanilla and Vanilla VGCs.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by fumnibbler
Well, considering they were already hard coded to not let you go over $3k anyways, I have to question that you buy 3k per visit, unless you're making the 6th card less than $500 so that the total isn't over 3k. This has been hard coded for a while, so I always just get $2500.
At this store, they have always rang up each card individually, so I have never run into the issue of the register rejecting the 6th card. Its always been a real PITA, but the manager told me he does it this way in his store because he has had activation issues with cards, if you do many in a transaction. Maybe it's true, maybe not...I never really complained or argued this with him.

Originally Posted by fumnibbler
Also, did you see the memo? I saw the one a few months ago stating that RELOADABLEs were cash only. Hopefully you didn't get as confused as the incompetent employees and managers. The one I saw named basically all of the RELOADABLE cards so you can imagine the confusion between MyVanilla and Vanilla VGCs.
Yes, the manager did show me the memo, and there is definitely no confusion. There was a separate memo that went out a few months ago that specifically named re-loadable cards, i.e. myVanilla and serve (saw this memo in person as well). This new memo specifically states all of the visa\mc\amex pre-paid cards will be cash-only and will be hard-coded by the register, beginning next week.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:32 am

Is PPMC also going to be cash only ? Per the new rules
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:02 am

At this store, they have always rang up each card individually, so I have never run into the issue of the register rejecting the 6th card. Its always been a real PITA, but the manager told me he does it this way in his store because he has had activation issues with cards, if you do many in a transaction. Maybe it's true, maybe not...I never really complained or argued this with him.

Yes, the manager did show me the memo, and there is definitely no confusion. There was a separate memo that went out a few months ago that specifically named re-loadable cards, i.e. myVanilla and serve (saw this memo in person as well). This new memo specifically states all of the visa\mc\amex pre-paid cards will be cash-only and will be hard-coded by the register, beginning next week.
Hmm okay, we'll see. My spending is about to be reduced for other reasons, so this won't hurt me as bad as if it had happened prior to now. Also, NEVER had a problem with a card loading on a $2500 transaction, I would assume the manager had a problem one time when someone didn't have enough funds or did something else fishy.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:36 pm

any one else try buying at RA?

I think the registers are hard coded NOT to accept credit cards.

My credit card payments wouldn't go through. I was in a rush, so I didn't have time to investigate.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Went into the Rite Aid near my work today. Picked up two One Vanilla Prepaid Visa cards as always. Cashier rang them up and I put my CC in the chip reader. She told me they were cash only per the message on her screen.

This store has always been no problem to buy with CC, although I have not had this cashier before. I asked if this was new as I knew reloadables were cash only in the past. She said there was a new memo recently about all variable cards being cash only.

Given the prior discussion here, I suspect the cashier was correct that the register was hard coded, although we probably need further confirmation before we can fully conclude that RA is now hard coded against all variable prepaid/GC's
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
Confirmed, cash only starting 7/7/16 here in CT.

Metro ATL data point: denied purchase in a very friendly RA today (tried to use AGC).

Last edited by touristtrap; Jul 5, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Yep, dead in my local RA too. Sad. Now I'm down to two reliable chains (have never used WG much, may have to give them another try).

Andyandy
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:01 pm

One more data point. Several of my local RAs today wouldn't allow purchases of variable load GCs with CC. Managers had no problem ringing the purchase up and were just as confused about the issue. RIP RA
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:39 pm

Their loss. They're going to lose money in gift card sales. In addition to gift cards, it's not uncommon for me to grab needed sundries while I'm there.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:12 pm

Big sign at the local RA here saying that all variable load cards including Visa gift cards are cash only. Oh well. Moving on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.