Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Help with first time buying a Visa Gift Card at Hy-Vee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Hollow everyone,

I am a newbie here. Today, I was really surprised. Here was what happened:

=============
I went to a local Hy-Vee supermarket and picked up one Visa Gift Card (Debit, non-reloadable, $20-500). I asked the cashier whether I can check it out using my Credit Card and she said "yes". I then told her that I wanted to load 500 dollars to the Visa Gift Card. She did this and I saw that I was charged for only 500 dollars. I thought this was incorrect because the card claims that "A $5.95 purchase fee applies at the time of purchase." I asked the cashier whether I was charged correctly and she said "Yes".

I left she and checked the card again carefully and still feel that I was not charged correctly. I then went back to the cashier and asked her "Are you sure I was charged correctly". She still said "yes". I then showed that the card indicates that "A $5.95 purchase fee applies at the time of purchase." She still thought there was nothing wrong.

Because my English is not good, I did not say more and left the store.

I just checked the balance of the Visa Gift Card and found that balance was 500 dollars.

So, is it all right? Or, the %5.95 of fee will be charged when I use this card for the first time? I am really confused (this is my first time buying a Visa Gift Card).

Thanks for reading!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by wangxinqing
Hollow everyone,

=============
I went to a local Hy-Vee supermarket and picked up one Visa Gift Card (Debit, non-reloadable, $20-500). I asked the cashier whether I can check it out using my Credit Card and she said "yes". I then told her that I wanted to load 500 dollars to the Visa Gift Card. She did this and I saw that I was charged for only 500 dollars. I thought this was incorrect because the card claims that "A $5.95 purchase fee applies at the time of purchase." I asked the cashier whether I was charged correctly and she said "Yes".

I left she and checked the card again carefully and still feel that I was not charged correctly. I then went back to the cashier and asked her "Are you sure I was charged correctly". She still said "yes". I then showed that the card indicates that "A $5.95 purchase fee applies at the time of purchase." She still thought there was nothing wrong.

I just checked the balance of the Visa Gift Card and found that balance was 500 dollars.

So, is it all right? Or, the %5.95 of fee will be charged when I use this card for the first time? I am really confused (this is my first time buying a Visa Gift Card).

Thanks for reading!
Maybe you got a freebie. You should first check your receipt. But if you paid with a credit card, you might want to check your online account as well.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:07 pm

I went to a local Hy-Vee supermarket and picked up one Visa Gift Card (Debit, non-reloadable, $20-500)
I just passed by Hy-Vee and bought 49 of them. Thanks for the info !!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
What? Are you serious? 49 of them? That might be too many. What is the value of each?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtravels
Maybe you got a freebie. You should first check your receipt. But if you paid with a credit card, you might want to check your online account as well.
Thanks a lot! I checked the Credit Card and it was only charged for 500 dollars.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
did they charged you a fee?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:56 pm

Thanks for sharing! Just bought another 15. Gonna hit this hard!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thehoodedidiot
Thanks for sharing! Just bought another 15. Gonna hit this hard!
Where did you get them? What is your location?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:47 am

This must be an error

Last edited by cyclotron; Dec 3, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: Several dozen
Store POS systems often are programmed to the individual store, so what happens in one store may not happen in another.

Originally Posted by cyclotron
This must be an error in the cash register. The cards have not been coded properly. One of my local HyVees did not charge me the fee for the reloadits. Then one day they noticed it and fixed it.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:59 am

Did you verify that your gift card was activated?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:12 pm

OP, you found a great deal! I got the same deal with PPs from SW which had zero fees. I bought the travel cards that says 3.95 fee and they also rang fee free.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:07 am

Hollow everyone,

=============

Thanks for reading!
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your honesty, for trying to make sure you pay the fee that was mentioned on the card. If the posts like 15 purchases and 49 purchases are not "just kidding" it seems like that store is losing money because that purchase is not coded correctly in their system.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by nooobFlyer
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your honesty, for trying to make sure you pay the fee that was mentioned on the card. If the posts like 15 purchases and 49 purchases are not "just kidding" it seems like that store is losing money because that purchase is not coded correctly in their system.
I think it is quite clear that the person buying 49 (presumably $500) cards from one store at one time must be deeply serious.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:21 pm

Wow, There's a Hyvee right down the street from me where I just moved to. I'll go there tonight or tomorrow and give it a try. I'm pretty sure, I'm the only manufactured spender in the area. Let's keep this joy low so people do not abuse this method!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.