Wiki Posts
Search

Free $5 Walgreens GC with 2 GC purchases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Free $5 Walgreens GC with 2 GC purchases

FYI

Walgreens is having free $5 Walgreens GC with 2 GC purchases again this week. Easy MS opportunity, use Kate to load them on to bluebird or serve or just buy MO.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by benny08
FYI

Walgreens is having free $5 Walgreens GC with 2 GC purchases again this week. Easy MS opportunity, use Kate to load them on to bluebird or serve or just buy MO.
you can use kate to load vanilla?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babykoala
Yes, but it may take several tries or it might not work at all. Depending on your luck.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:36 pm

I was wondering if I bought amazon, would it work and for how much?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:31 am

Yes, but it may take several tries or it might not work at all. Depending on your luck.
You mean doing 49.99? It has not worked normally for a month - besides one report.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by babykoala
I wouldn't. Too unpredictable.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:02 am

FYI

What are the limitations of the walgreens GC?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ldfernald
What are the limitations of the walgreens GC?
It's just a normal store gift card.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Surprised to find that no one pointed out Walgreens usually limits both cards to a total $500 transaction. I checked with a "LEAD" to discuss before checking out and the answer was almost clueless, although he did say "try it", whatever "it" was.

Anyway, I bought two Visa GCs, $500 and $375 and split my credit card payments. The cashier ended up charging me for the $5 Walgreens card, caught when I checked receipt. Rather than really challenge a solution, I just suggested give me the 5000 points (for the refund) into the Wags Point Rewards program. He was HAPPY to do that.

Using the GC to pay utility bills without payment fees, like Verizon, water,
internet bills, etc.

Last time I filled the car with fuel, I paid $2.25 per gallon. Rather than run to a Walmart, paying the bills online keeps my cheap fuel in the tank.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Surprised to find that no one pointed out Walgreens usually limits both cards to a total $500 transaction. I checked with a "LEAD" to discuss before checking out and the answer was almost clueless, although he did say "try it", whatever "it" was.

Anyway, I bought two Visa GCs, $500 and $375 and split my credit card payments. The cashier ended up charging me for the $5 Walgreens card, caught when I checked receipt. Rather than really challenge a solution, I just suggested give me the 5000 points (for the refund) into the Wags Point Rewards program. He was HAPPY to do that.

internet bills, etc.

Last time I filled the car with fuel, I paid $2.25 per gallon. Rather than run to a Walmart, paying the bills online keeps my cheap fuel in the tank.
HOLY crap! I was not aware of this policy like AT ALL. I have always been able to buy $1000 in VISA GC without any problems. I done it last night, I even have the receipt. Then suddenly today I gone back to a Walgreens that I used to go to, and they shut me down saying only $500 per 24 hour period. I asked to speak to the manager, he told me it has been the policy. He said his store has never sell more than $500 in a day, and the POS would kick us out if they tried to do it. WHICH IS BULL! I have done it several times before at this store. Couple weeks ago, another manager at this store actually helped me getting the Walgreens $5 GC. For some reasons, the system didn't deduct the $5 GC, he just gave 10k in balance rewards points. Super nice and cool, gave me extra 5k for the trouble. What really got me was he said the system won't allow it, I literally want to scream BULL S***, because I know that's not true. Anyways, in situations like this I always just say sorry and let it go.

I guess if this happens again, I have to cross Walgreens off my list. It's really a shame, Walgreens has been great until today.

Edit: I just search online, it seems like there really is a $500 policy. Maybe they just started enforcing this policy in my area.

When Citi Dividend had their annual 5% cash back on drug store purchases, I always buy 2 $500 Visa GC, the only thing they ask for is my ID.

Last edited by benny08; Dec 4, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:45 pm

I can share a new datapoint for my area in Utah. My local walgreens has asked me to keep purchases at $500 or less per "type" of gift card per day. Generally i buy a single vanilla visa w/$500. I have sometimes been able to buy 2 in order to get the free $5 GC. The system has allowed it previously, as recently as a few months ago. Today when I tried two, the cashier said there was a message she had never seen. It wouldn't allow $1k. I just bought one. No extra reward points for me.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:47 pm

Surprised to find that no one pointed out Walgreens usually limits both cards to a total $500 transaction. ...

Anyway, I bought two Visa GCs, $500 and $375 and split my credit card payments. ...
So, you're saying that the "total $500 transaction" limit doesn't really exist, since you were able to buy more than that? Or the limit is per credit card payment, so paying with 2 credit cards in one transaction avoids it? Or do you mean that you did 2 completely separate transactions, and then asked them to manually give you the $5 bonus?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

I was limited today by the manager also. The kid actually scanned two $500's for me and they both rang up but the manager came and told me of the new policy. She only let me buy one $500 and gave me the $5 gift card anyway.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the data point guys!

Ugh! I guess Walgreens has started cracking down on this. Today is the first time I got shut down over the $500 limit policy.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing in their POS that would prevent more 1 $500 GC. Because I have brought 2 $500 GCs in a single transaction countless of times. During the past 3 years, Citi Dividend has offered 5% CB on drug store purchases during the first quarter. I have always been able to buy 2 at a time without any issue.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:43 pm

internet bills, etc.

jan_believes how did u split payments at Wag? I have tried countless times and they never seem able to do it anymore, after they updated the systems to support Apple Pay. The prompt that checked if the charge amount was ok, and then if u said no, allowed for u to choose another amount - is gone. The best he could do was manually type in my CC twice, but that is a huge PITA, did u find a better way to split payment? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.