Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far do you drive to MS?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:33 am
Original Poster

How far do you drive to MS?

Just curious, how far does everyone drive to MS?

I try to stick to a 10 mile limit (distance from home to Wally/GC seller) but as certain Wally's refuse to take GC's and as I try to ramp up my MS activities, I have been considering increasing my limit to 15-20 miles.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:01 am

Most of my VGC purchases are within one mile of work or my parents' house. No problem there. The nearest Kate is maybe five miles from work, which is a little bit of a PITA with my schedule (kids' schools, work, after school activities, etc), but there is a new Walmart opening closer... fingers crossed that it has a working Kate.

MOs are easy-peasy at my local grocery store.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:47 am

It depends. I have two MS trips every month where I go to a whole slew of stores. I would say I drive a total of 80 miles on each of those trips, so 160 miles per month.

The amount that you (have to) travel will depend on the volume that you do and how open to MSing your local grocery stores and WM is. For me, it is much easier to fit a month's worth of MS into two days rather than do a little here and there.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:22 am

My stops are all along my route between my work and my apartment. I don't scale up to the extent like others do here though. For me it wouldn't be worth it to drive far out just for MS. I'm also lucky to live in MA for the Redbird and was blessed with many CVS's with VRs when they were relevant so I guess I have it easier than others.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:30 am

Drive? How about fly? :-D
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
The places to buy and liquidate are all near to my weekly groceries, mail and banking route, so I just include it in that. Total trip 10-15 miles, and I'd guess three of those are due to the MS activity, and I usually don't do it every week. Occasionally a special trip to Walmart is warranted (six miles r/t), but I'm not hardcore with MS as I place a pretty high value on my free time.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:18 pm

It depends on what I am liquidating. I have driven like 20 miles or sometimes longer in total distance in order to do MS. I usually try to maximize the trip and try to dump several $K to make it worth the trip especially when trying to dump $200 VGCs. I would definitely make the drive to places that are friendly to dumping those cards. But usually I would like to stick to a 10 mile radius if possible.

I am not sure I am like others here but usually when I do MS, I dedicate time to do it so I try to buy and dump within the next few hours vs. buying cards and stock piling them up and then make a trip.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
It depends on what I am liquidating. I have driven like 20 miles or sometimes longer in total distance in order to do MS. I usually try to maximize the trip and try to dump several $K to make it worth the trip especially when trying to dump $200 VGCs. I would definitely make the drive to places that are friendly to dumping those cards. But usually I would like to stick to a 10 mile radius if possible.

I am not sure I am like others here but usually when I do MS, I dedicate time to do it so I try to buy and dump within the next few hours vs. buying cards and stock piling them up and then make a trip.
I'm the same way. I like to buy and unload in the same day. With the MS game being so dynamic, I don't want to get stuck holding thousands of dollars worth of gc's. I usually buy around $10k at a time.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Very little - I'd guess about 10 miles a month. Yes, a month.

I live in an affluent suburb and work at a similar place about 45 minutes away. Both are excellent for MSing and there are all the usual locations within a few miles of home or work. I don't really have any need to go elsewhere; usually if I do stop off, it's on the way home so I'm going a very short distance out of my way.

Although my drive to/from work goes near many stores that are possibilities, most of the trip is through areas that are a bit down-at-the-heels and so there's little if any opportunity there, as almost everything is "cash only".
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:00 pm

The miles are low - however the time it takes can sometimes feel like an eternity. Long lines at the grocery store, waiting for manager key, kate's down, GC rack's empty (wasted trip), etc.

I try not to go out of my way for MS.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Zippo - ditched the car, insurance, registration, taxes, maintenance and gas. We have free trollies, buses and trains to MS over here.

Originally Posted by rtraveler
Just curious, how far does everyone drive to MS?

I try to stick to a 10 mile limit (distance from home to Wally/GC seller) but as certain Wally's refuse to take GC's and as I try to ramp up my MS activities, I have been considering increasing my limit to 15-20 miles.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:16 pm

I drive out about 25 miles R/T, 3x a week to do Money Orders and visit the local Kate
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
~45-60 minutes round-trip on the bicycle from home base. 3 WM (1 with Kate), 3 USB ATMs, 1 Simon Mall, 2 WAG, my 2 banks where I deposit cash. The farthest I go is to the 4th USB ATM inside our once-a-week grocery store...

And this is only the usefull things. There's a ton more WAG, CVS, RA etc. but they don't stock the cards I want or don't take CC.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
~45-60 minutes round-trip on the bicycle from home base. 3 WM (1 with Kate), 3 USB ATMs, 1 Simon Mall, 2 WAG, my 2 banks where I deposit cash. The farthest I go is to the 4th USB ATM inside our once-a-week grocery store...

And this is only the usefull things. There's a ton more WAG, CVS, RA etc. but they don't stock the cards I want or don't take CC.
you buy OV's at CVS/RA?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by rtraveler
you buy OV's at CVS/RA?
no I don't and since they don't stock PPMC (CVS) or don't take CC (RA) I don't go there at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.