Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MS in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
MS in Germany

Tried searching but couldnt find any definitive answer so wanting to know if there are any helpful tips of MS in Germany. I am going to be there for a couple of months so any help is appreciated!!!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Buy a Mercedes or BMW.....

But seriously, not much in opportunities there.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
You've got PM sfkhan
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:58 pm

Good luck, man. I am originally from Germany, and let me tell you, we Germans like our rules and straightforwardness. MSing does not really fit that bill lol
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I recall reading that the luggage trolleys at FRA take a credit card to the 2 euro deposit and then you can return the trolley and get a 2 euro coin, rinse and repeat. I don't recall is the CSP gave 2x travel tho.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by particlemn
I recall reading that the luggage trolleys at FRA take a credit card to the 2 euro deposit and then you can return the trolley and get a 2 euro coin, rinse and repeat. I don't recall is the CSP gave 2x travel tho.
lol... can just see it now, someone being reported for suspicious activity for continuously buying and returning carts....
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
good luck MSing with 2Euro trollies lol
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:45 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Wanted to give this thread a little bump

I am in Germany as well and curious if anyone knows of any opportunities for MS.

From what I have seen of the culture to date, credit cards are not as common as in US so I am guessing not many options at present for MS but you never know...

Thanks
Steve
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by Stephenk19
From what I have seen of the culture to date, credit cards are not as common as in US so I am guessing not many options at present for MS but you never know...
I wasn't aware that credit cards with cashback exist in Germany at all. As you know pretty much all of them do not even allow you to carry a balance (except that Advanzia card from Luxemburg) and many merchants don't accept them at all due to the fees, so there's no real incentive for the banks to give you a CC. It's more like a convenience tool they give their customers for travel purposes...

However, I've seen that some banks like DKB now offer like 1% cashback or so when you use their debit card (EC Karte). So you might wanna look into this stuff. I'd guess others in this small bank brotherhood like Cortal Consors or ING Diba would offer similar cards/programs/incentives.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
I wasn't aware that credit cards with cashback exist in Germany at all. As you know pretty much all of them do not even allow you to carry a balance (except that Advanzia card from Luxemburg) and many merchants don't accept them at all due to the fees, so there's no real incentive for the banks to give you a CC. It's more like a convenience tool they give their customers for travel purposes...

However, I've seen that some banks like DKB now offer like 1% cashback or so when you use their debit card (EC Karte). So you might wanna look into this stuff. I'd guess others in this small bank brotherhood like Cortal Consors or ING Diba would offer similar cards/programs/incentives.
I'm not sure if they exist either - I am still using (and plan to keep using when I can) my credit cards from the US. I have looked briefly into some German CC's but not the above - I will check them out though, thanks!

Yes I agree as well that CC's in Europe (or at least Germany) see to be a tool for travel purposes and not much else. Interesting to see how they differ from the US where it feels like everyone gets at least 5 credit card apps a day all with different types of benefits.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

MS is not going to happen here... Especially now that the EU will mandate a max of 0,3% in future fees to be charged for payments. The margin is simply not there for generous point schemes or MS.

Different market here than in the US, almodt all that have credit cards pay their full bill each month and plenty of vendors are reluctant to accept these cards due to high costs.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
MS is not going to happen here... Especially now that the EU will mandate a max of 0,3% in future fees to be charged for payments. The margin is simply not there for generous point schemes or MS.

Different market here than in the US, almodt all that have credit cards pay their full bill each month and plenty of vendors are reluctant to accept these cards due to high costs.
Thanks RTW1 for the info!

Yes, this is what I feared, but oh well. I was a novice at MS and did not perform a whole before the move. It is frustrating though to not be able to use CC for a lot of common transactions, but part of the change of living in a new environment.

**Side Note - I was able to perform a little MS inadvertently. I bought and returned a modem to Saturn paid for on my CC. Doing the return the clerk looked at me funny when I gave him my CC to credit the amount back, he just asked if I wanted to get the cash instead which I accepted. Sadly this method is not likely to work on a larger scale and without hassle I fear
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1

Money laundry laws apply to financial institutes, outside USA.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stephenk19
Wanted to give this thread a little bump
I am in Germany as well and curious if anyone knows of any opportunities for MS.
Thanks
Steve
Are prepaid visas sold there? what banks? No MSing without prepaids.
(years ago I was student at TU Berlin)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Are prepaid visas sold there? what banks? No MSing without prepaids.
(years ago I was student at TU Berlin)
Good point - I will check when I return from the holidays. I have seen numerous gift cards for sale but not sure of the exact types.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.