Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MS Landscape

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:48 am
Original Poster

MS Landscape

Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm relatively new to the MS game. I got in earlier this year with the Citi Exec card and have been able to MS about $40k throughout that time.

As the months have gone on, we've seen a lot of our avenues being shutdown. Is this common? Or this is a new trend where things pop up and then are shut down a short while later?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:55 am

Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by jorge18
Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm relatively new to the MS game. I got in earlier this year with the Citi Exec card and have been able to MS about $40k throughout that time.

As the months have gone on, we've seen a lot of our avenues being shutdown. Is this common? Or this is a new trend where things pop up and then are shut down a short while later?
I've seen shutdowns in the past but I'm getting antsy about changes in T&Cs of CCs (check Chase), ppGCs, now AP will stop P2P by 10/13 and a lot more has been happening in the past 6 months. I feel like new opportunities aren't catching up fast enough to the ones getting shutdown. we may have to keep our cards closer to our chest for those that still work for us. or we may have to find another worthwhile 'project'.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I think easy picks are being shut down and there are opportunities still there, you need to work harder for them.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:46 am

I haven't been in this game that long, compared to some of the long timers on here, but my two cents...

Humans love to complain. The grass is always greener on the other side, and it was always better "way back when," except when it's not.

You constantly hear talk about the glory days of the Mint, but that was only 3 years ago. MS has been around for much much longer. People are already talking about the glory days of Walmart too. Amazon Payments, though never a huge source from MS, is already seen in halcyon colors. Back in 1999, it was chocolate pudding (http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pudding.asp).

But despite this, there are still a lot of MS avenues out there, and most people don't publicize their routes for fear of them getting shut down. Do you think the pudding guy told everyone what he was doing before he managed to secure a good profit for himself?

In short, the game is always changing. Hearing others talk about "the golden days" will only discourage those new to the game - you'll constantly feel like you *just* missed the golden goose. But that will happen no matter when you join the game. If you're discouraged easily or don't have the energy to put into the game, then be happy for the "easy" routes when they become common knowledge, but know you're on the trailing end. If you persevere and put some energy into it, you'll do better and realize how things works - change is always afoot.

P.S. All of the above can be said for anything in life.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by unkinected
I haven't been in this game that long, compared to some of the long timers on here, but my two cents...

Humans love to complain. The grass is always greener on the other side, and it was always better "way back when," except when it's not.

You constantly hear talk about the glory days of the Mint, but that was only 3 years ago. MS has been around for much much longer. People are already talking about the glory days of Walmart too. Amazon Payments, though never a huge source from MS, is already seen in halcyon colors. Back in 1999, it was chocolate pudding (http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pudding.asp).

But despite this, there are still a lot of MS avenues out there, and most people don't publicize their routes for fear of them getting shut down. Do you think the pudding guy told everyone what he was doing before he managed to secure a good profit for himself?

In short, the game is always changing. Hearing others talk about "the golden days" will only discourage those new to the game - you'll constantly feel like you *just* missed the golden goose. But that will happen no matter when you join the game. If you're discouraged easily or don't have the energy to put into the game, then be happy for the "easy" routes when they become common knowledge, but know you're on the trailing end. If you persevere and put some energy into it, you'll do better and realize how things works - change is always afoot.

P.S. All of the above can be said for anything in life.

I agree the MS for rookies is getting tougher - Bluebird and Vanilla make it very simple and basic but there are alot of avenues out there if people take the time to read and learn and experiment.

Last edited by kingrat; Sep 11, 2014 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by unkinected
Thanks for the link. That was a fun read!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
The good old days are ending.

I'm convinced we are in the twilight of this game. There are simply too many people playing, too many people making it too obvious, too many greedy people pushing the limits, too many bloggers, and too many idiots who don't understand that none of this is sustainable when it's all so visible.

The game used to be quietly, discreetly played, and it went on more or less at the same level for years (decades, actually). Things have changed. In the past year or so, this has gotten so much attention that it's simply not sustainable (if you want to identify the day it crossed the rubicon, the day that FT started a dedicated MS forum is as good a marker as any - after that, the end was inevitable). Hundreds of bums started blogs, selling themselves as "travel experts", pimping credit cards, and making a lot of money off clueless noobs. The number of points in circulation exploded. Unwashed low-life's who previously rarely or never traveled at all suddenly started filling up the premium cabins, much to the chagrin of the airlines' actual elite customers, and the airlines became uncomfortable looking like they were being played for suckers. So they all massively devalued their programs, repeatedly. The companies that we're being exploited to generate points didn't like looking like suckers either, so they started closing loopholes. One after another, so many of the easy options have been closed. Today it's amazon payments. Next it may be walmart or any of the other remaining options, but you can count on them all closing down at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Sure, the bloggers will tell you that this is just how is has always been, and all the recent exploit closures will be replaced by other, equally easy options. But like most self-serving things the bloggers tell you, that's not true.

The gravy train is over, kids. You are going to have to go back to flying coach. You are going to have to pay for tickets. And so-called "travel bloggers" are going to have to go out and find a real job - terrifying prospects, I know.

Who could ever have imagined that this wasn't going to go on forever, with everyone easily flying first class all over the world and staying in five star resorts in exotic locations, all for free or nearly so? What a shock to discover that the companies providing such perks intended them to go to well-heeled paying customers, not the vanilla reload crowd?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
long story short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4C3rQ5XhcA
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
The good old days are ending.

I'm convinced we are in the twilight of this game. There are simply too many people playing, too many people making it too obvious, too many greedy people pushing the limits, too many bloggers, and too many idiots who don't understand that none of this is sustainable when it's all so visible.

The game used to be quietly, discreetly played, and it went on more or less at the same level for years (decades, actually). Things have changed. In the past year or so, this has gotten so much attention that it's simply not sustainable (if you want to identify the day it crossed the rubicon, the day that FT started a dedicated MS forum is as good a marker as any - after that, the end was inevitable). Hundreds of bums started blogs, selling themselves as "travel experts", pimping credit cards, and making a lot of money off clueless noobs. The number of points in circulation exploded. Unwashed low-life's who previously rarely or never traveled at all suddenly started filling up the premium cabins, much to the chagrin of the airlines' actual elite customers, and the airlines became uncomfortable looking like they were being played for suckers. So they all massively devalued their programs, repeatedly. The companies that we're being exploited to generate points didn't like looking like suckers either, so they started closing loopholes. One after another, so many of the easy options have been closed. Today it's amazon payments. Next it may be walmart or any of the other remaining options, but you can count on them all closing down at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Sure, the bloggers will tell you that this is just how is has always been, and all the recent exploit closures will be replaced by other, equally easy options. But like most self-serving things the bloggers tell you, that's not true.

The gravy train is over, kids. You are going to have to go back to flying coach. You are going to have to pay for tickets. And so-called "travel bloggers" are going to have to go out and find a real job - terrifying prospects, I know.

Who could ever have imagined that this wasn't going to go on forever, with everyone easily flying first class all over the world and staying in five star resorts in exotic locations, all for free or nearly so? What a shock to discover that the companies providing such perks intended them to go to well-heeled paying customers, not the vanilla reload crowd?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:27 pm

TD Go & AP died. plink died today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW12BT9pYEw
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Use to you would call to activate a card, and it was automatic,

Today you call, on a recorded line, they tell you no GC converted to cash..

Look for one day you GC points will be taken away,,

CYA I am sure they are,,,
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
The unholy alliance of bloggers pimping credit cards to make money was what really killed the deal. Most of the basic ones were always discussed openly on places like Fatwallet and FT. Some like the small credit union that allowed you to fund unlimited times via credit card were kept secret but there was enough for someone with a bit of free time to figure it out. Now with bloggers pushing cards and showing off all their free travel, rather than be less flamboyant about how much they're milking the system; seminars on this; etc., the gravy train is gone.

Is there still room for someone to earn enough for a decent free roundtrip to anywhere in the world through credit card and bonus churning? Probably, but the days of luxury stays to exotic places are gone, not that they existed much in the first place.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
I think we are all playing this game wrong. We should all start our own blogs and use FT as research for our blogs rather than doing the work ourselves. That way not only are we, as bloggers, responsbile for the death of the game but also profit off it.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:49 am

I still get a kick out of threads like these. I'm not glad AP is done but didn't think it would go on forever. And unless you are the one that single handedly came up with the process how can you say no one should post it? So many people think once they find out about a MS avenue they should be the last to know.

I've learned everything about CC's though this site and through bloggers. I would have zero knowledge of airline games without them.

I don't do the virtual reload cards (too much work IMO) so I do AP and Serve and app-o-rama's. Once server is shut down, at this point all my spending will be legit. I'm ok with that, but will look for easy ways in the future to generate spending. If not and I have to pay for more of my travels so be it. But looking to blame everyone for getting the same knowledge someone else taught you, come on....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.